Currently Being ModeratedMar 22, 2013 9:39 AM (in response to James_A)
Well, my friend the Mac tech, who has a lot of experience with the USB 2.0 eMacs (the variant after yours), looked in on the thread and did not see anything that looked familiar in his experience.
He had two questions:
1) Has anyone smoked tobacco (or, I guess, even "whacky tobaccy") around the computer?
2) Has there been a history of "dirty power" in your area, i.e., blackouts and brownouts?
Currently Being ModeratedMar 22, 2013 10:22 AM (in response to Allan Jones)
1) Lol... no tobacco of any sort roundabout here these days!
2) No dirty power issues. Perhaps one black out. Reminds me though that the plug has been knocked half out accidentally a few times while the emac was on, which killed the power.
Currently Being ModeratedMar 22, 2013 11:26 AM (in response to James_A)
Ok, I'll pass on to my young expert. Not sure why he asked about smoking but he's been inside a lot more macs than I.
Sudden power cuts have historically been tougher on hard drives than other components, alsyhough I suppose that could have a effect on the power supply. However, power supply probloms don't tend to be intermittent.
Can we clarify one thing: when the screen goes black, does it come back on a some point without requiring a restart?
Currently Being ModeratedMar 22, 2013 11:44 AM (in response to Allan Jones)
Yes, it just pops back into life and everything is how I left it. It's just the screen shutting down with everything still on in the background. Sometimes the blackout lasts only a minute or two, other times 20 mins or so. Some days it runs for hours without a blackout... which is why I haven't given up on it.
More Like This
- Retrieving data ...
- This solved my question - 10 points
- This helped me - 5 points