Skip navigation

No DVD drive in new iMac ???

212008 Views 1,481 Replies Latest reply: Apr 7, 2014 9:14 AM by Csound1 RSS Branched to a new discussion.
  • Csound1 Level 7 Level 7 (32,255 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 5, 2013 6:11 AM (in response to El Deanio)

    The fact that you have painted yourself into a corner and can't afford a longer brush is sad, but not my problem. Buy a bigger hard drive or wait for your files to be deleted, this is a simple equation.

  • R C-R Level 6 Level 6 (13,780 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 5, 2013 6:17 AM (in response to El Deanio)

    El Deanio wrote:

    Clearly however Apple have chosen to down market the iMac to the level of kids and housewives who are only interested in online gossiping and are nevertheless able to afford an iPhone.

    I don't see it that way at all. For one thing, my new super-slim iMac is much better suited to what I do most than any other iMac I have ever used, which includes 3D modeling & rendering & other tasks that require a powerful computer & lots of screen real-estate for efficient workflows & enhanced productivity.

     

    For another, the lack of a built-in DVD burner isn't a problem for me. I'm considering getting an external Blu-Ray burner, & whatever I get, it won't be yet another slot-loading optical drive that would fit in any iMac's case. They just aren't reliable enough for me, even compared to the least expensive tray loaders that serious users of optical burners frequently end up buying anyway.

     

    Speaking of which, since you already have (two?) external burners, if you do get a new iMac, you might consider altering your workflow a bit, using disk image (dmg) files for interim work. I think you will find that the new iMacs create even very large ones so fast that this can significantly speed up your workflow.

  • zBernie2 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 5, 2013 6:22 AM (in response to El Deanio)

    Don't listen to Csound1 and other Apple apologists -- The DVD and CD-ROM are far from antiquated technology!  I just bought a brand new car, and yes, it still has a CD player.  The fact is, there are still many $billions in annual sales of videos, music, and software, distributed on optical disk.  if you have a new iMac with no optical drive, guess where you're more likely to purchase your media from?  Yes, the Apple store.  Of course you could purchase an external drive, but that's an added expense, and looks like crap hanging off of your iMac.

     

    Then of course there are the non-commercial uses for the optical drive.  I often use the superdrive in my 2011 iMac to rip CD's, burn movies, burn play lists, give photos and videos to friends, etc.  No, read this thread and other's related to the absence of the optical drive in the new iMac -- The vast majority of people are incensed that it is no longer available!

     

    Then there's also the issue with the SD card reader located on the back of the new iMac.  That's ridiculous.  Not to mention there is not one USB port located in a convenient location, like on the side.  No, now they are ALL on the back!

  • Csound1 Level 7 Level 7 (32,255 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 5, 2013 6:32 AM (in response to zBernie2)

    Rotating optical media is old technology (31 years old) zBernie is far off course as ever.

  • El Deanio Level 3 Level 3 (735 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 5, 2013 6:33 AM (in response to Csound1)

    Csound1 wrote:

     

    The fact that you have painted yourself into a corner and can't afford a longer brush is sad, but not my problem. Buy a bigger hard drive or wait for your files to be deleted, this is a simple equation.

     

    This guy hasn't painted himself into a corner.  He was maneouvred into the situation because he no longer had a choice. 

     

    If he could afford a bigger HDD, no doubt he would still be maintaining his account. Same goes for an external drive (assuming they still exist, being the old technology that they apparently are).

     

    It may not be your problem today, but who knows what may lay around the corner. Anyone can fall on hard times.

  • Csound1 Level 7 Level 7 (32,255 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 5, 2013 6:36 AM (in response to El Deanio)

    El Deanio wrote:

     

    Csound1 wrote:

     

    The fact that you have painted yourself into a corner and can't afford a longer brush is sad, but not my problem. Buy a bigger hard drive or wait for your files to be deleted, this is a simple equation.

     

    This guy hasn't painted himself into a corner.  He was maneouvred into the situation because he no longer had a choice. 

    Why are you referring to 'this guy' when the guy is you?

  • zBernie2 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 5, 2013 6:36 AM (in response to Csound1)

    Optical media is certainly deminishing, but the fact remains Apple was premature eliminating the drive from the new iMac.  It was also a boondoggle to place ALL available ports on the back.

     

    Google this iterm if you want to see exactly how wrong you are:

     

    "new imac no optical drive"

  • Csound1 Level 7 Level 7 (32,255 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 5, 2013 6:40 AM (in response to zBernie2)

    zBernie2 wrote:

     

    Optical media is certainly deminishing, but the fact remains Apple was premature eliminating the drive from the new iMac. 

    That is your opinion, and I disagree.

  • justamacguy Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 5, 2013 6:47 AM (in response to grandfield)

    Lots of emotion here... I miss the optical drive in the iMac. It should have been converted to a BluRay drive. The bottom line for anybody who will do the REAL math is that the optical drive is the cheapest storage with the longest readable life span. And unlike floppy or Zip disks the optical keeps increasing in storage capacity. 50 gig today with 500 gig in developement.

     

    Optical disc: 10.7 years

    SSD (jump/thumb drives): 2 years

    Hard Dive: 3-5 years

  • El Deanio Level 3 Level 3 (735 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 5, 2013 6:52 AM (in response to R C-R)

    R C-R wrote:

     

    El Deanio wrote:

    Clearly however Apple have chosen to down market the iMac to the level of kids and housewives who are only interested in online gossiping and are nevertheless able to afford an iPhone.

    I don't see it that way at all. For one thing, my new super-slim iMac is much better suited to what I do most than any other iMac I have ever used, which includes 3D modeling & rendering & other tasks that require a powerful computer & lots of screen real-estate for efficient workflows & enhanced productivity.

     

    For another, the lack of a built-in DVD burner isn't a problem for me. I'm considering getting an external Blu-Ray burner, & whatever I get, it won't be yet another slot-loading optical drive that would fit in any iMac's case. They just aren't reliable enough for me, even compared to the least expensive tray loaders that serious users of optical burners frequently end up buying anyway.

     

    Speaking of which, since you already have (two?) external burners, if you do get a new iMac, you might consider altering your workflow a bit, using disk image (dmg) files for interim work. I think you will find that the new iMacs create even very large ones so fast that this can significantly speed up your workflow.

     

    Hi R C-R

     

    "... tasks that require a powerful computer & lots of screen real-estate for efficient workflows & enhanced productivity."

     

    That will apply to all newer machines of course and is why we all upgrade.  When I bought mine, I felt the same way about all my previous Macs too. 

     

    If you haven't already thought of this, may I recommend using a second monitor in extended desktop mode.  I really miss my Philips 190B since it broke.

     

    For another, the lack of a built-in DVD burner isn't a problem for me. I'm considering getting an external Blu-Ray burner, & whatever I get, it won't be yet another slot-loading optical drive that would fit in any iMac's case. They just aren't reliable enough for me, even compared to the least expensive tray loaders that serious users of optical burners frequently end up buying anyway.

     

    Can't argue with that. Mine needs replacing right now too. I've got an LG Portable Super Multi Blue Rewriter that does the job nicely.  One thing though, it needs to be plugged directly into one of the rear USB ports on the Mac. I found that it doesn't work when plugeed in to my Belkin Powered USB hub.   Luckily I still had a spare USB slot at the rear of my iMac.

     

    Speaking of which, since you already have (two?) external burners, if you do get a new iMac, you might consider altering your workflow a bit, using disk image (dmg) files for interim work. I think you will find that the new iMacs create even very large ones so fast that this can significantly speed up your workflow.

     

    Thanks for the tip. Actually I don't have two external blue-ray drives, just the one.  Sadly I don't have any more slots for yet another one. I suppose it depends what and how many slots my new iMac (or Mac Pro - Hmmm) has at the back when the time comes.  Right now I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the next thing that gets dropped from any new iMac are the peripheral ports?

     


  • El Deanio Level 3 Level 3 (735 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 5, 2013 6:55 AM (in response to Csound1)

    Csound1 wrote:

     

    El Deanio wrote:

     

    Csound1 wrote:

     

    The fact that you have painted yourself into a corner and can't afford a longer brush is sad, but not my problem. Buy a bigger hard drive or wait for your files to be deleted, this is a simple equation.

     

    This guy hasn't painted himself into a corner.  He was maneouvred into the situation because he no longer had a choice. 

    Why are you referring to 'this guy' when the guy is you?

     

    No. I was speaking hypothetically.

  • El Deanio Level 3 Level 3 (735 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 5, 2013 7:04 AM (in response to zBernie2)

    zBernie2 wrote:

     

    Don't listen to Csound1 and other Apple apologists -- The DVD and CD-ROM are far from antiquated technology!  I just bought a brand new car, and yes, it still has a CD player.  The fact is, there are still many $billions in annual sales of videos, music, and software, distributed on optical disk.  if you have a new iMac with no optical drive, guess where you're more likely to purchase your media from?  Yes, the Apple store.  Of course you could purchase an external drive, but that's an added expense, and looks like crap hanging off of your iMac.

     

    Then of course there are the non-commercial uses for the optical drive.  I often use the superdrive in my 2011 iMac to rip CD's, burn movies, burn play lists, give photos and videos to friends, etc.  No, read this thread and other's related to the absence of the optical drive in the new iMac -- The vast majority of people are incensed that it is no longer available!

     

    Then there's also the issue with the SD card reader located on the back of the new iMac.  That's ridiculous.  Not to mention there is not one USB port located in a convenient location, like on the side.  No, now they are ALL on the back!

     

    My thoughts too.

  • Csound1 Level 7 Level 7 (32,255 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 5, 2013 7:06 AM (in response to El Deanio)

    zBernie and you should start a consumer advocate group, you've got 2 members at least.

  • Ranjoharbri Calculating status...
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 5, 2013 7:41 AM (in response to grandfield)

    I will never buy another iMac - EVER!
    Failed hard drives, burning and smudging on my screen, and totally fed up the excuses and nonsense replies and meetings I've had with my local Apple Store (Cardiff).

     

    I'm a pro photographer, and I bought my 27 in iMac in September 2011.
    It's been nothing but a total pain in the neck, and is of little use for professional photography purposes.

     

    Firstly the LCD screen is too bright to calibrate properly, and the smudging and burn marks are now so bad that they have encroached into the working space of Photoshop.

     

    I have already decided on which new Windows machine I want.
    Once bitten twice shy - Apple can go swing as far as I'm concerned.

  • El Deanio Level 3 Level 3 (735 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 5, 2013 7:49 AM (in response to Ranjoharbri)

    Ranjoharbri wrote:

     

    I will never buy another iMac - EVER!
    Failed hard drives, burning and smudging on my screen, and totally fed up the excuses and nonsense replies and meetings I've had with my local Apple Store (Cardiff).

     

    I'm a pro photographer, and I bought my 27 in iMac in September 2011.
    It's been nothing but a total pain in the neck, and is of little use for professional photography purposes.

     

    Firstly the LCD screen is too bright to calibrate properly, and the smudging and burn marks are now so bad that they have encroached into the working space of Photoshop.

     

    I have already decided on which new Windows machine I want.
    Once bitten twice shy - Apple can go swing as far as I'm concerned.

     

    Smudging and burn marks - Jeez!  That sounds bad. Is it overheating or something? 

     

    Did you mean to post in this thread?  It's more to do with optical drives and such. You may have posted here inadvertantly.

1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 ... 99 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

  • Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

  • This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.