This discussion is archived
855 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Aug 14, 2006 1:45 PM by Cindy
Currently Being ModeratedApr 19, 2006 4:33 PM (in response to Cindy)Hi Cindy,
I don't think that they will be, but we don't know. We are all users as you are so we have no real information. One would think that they would since both the Mac Mini and iMac lines have converted, but then there's the PowerBooks. The MacBook Pro only replaced the 15" PowerBook. Since the PowerMac line has 4 different models (similar to the PowerBooks), so who knows what will happen.
You might want to look at Macworld: LabTests. It shows that the CS2 version has not slowed down by much. With a faster Core Duo in the G5, you shouldn't notice a difference.
PS And once Adobe switches over; it will be blazingly fast.
Mac Mini 1.42Ghz, iPod (All), Airport (Graphite & Express), G4 1.33Ghz iBook, G4 iMac 1Ghz, G3 500Mhz, iBook iMac 233Mhz, eMate, Power Mac 5400 LC, PowerBook 540c, Macintosh 128K, Apple //e, Apple //, and some more... Mac OS X (10.4.5) Moto Razr, iLife '06, SmartDisk 160Gb, Apple BT Mouse, Sight..
Currently Being ModeratedApr 19, 2006 4:47 PM (in response to Cindy)Cindy, if you need Pro Mac machine then get a Quad and AppleCare now.
The Intel based PowerMac's (or whatever Apple will change the name to) most likely won't be released until near the end of this year when Intel releases the 64 bit Core Duo's in November.
Then they will be just about as equal to the performance of present dual core G5 processors.
Adobe and Apple are working together on a brand new version of a Intel based Photoshop and even Adobe said it could be well into next year before it's released. What's nice about when it's released, it will also run on present PPC based G5 machines including the Quad, being that all future applications will be "Universal" for most likey 6-7 years.
So there is no need to worry, buy the Quad as it's the best price for performance and resale value if you do decide to get a Intel based PowerMac early next year.
The only reason to wait several months for a Intel based PowerMac is if you plan on running other operating systems and their programs alongside OS X.
http://appleintelfaq.com/PowerMac G5 Dual 2 Ghz, 4.5 GB, 30", HK 5.1 800w SS via Toslink, Mac OS X (10.4.4), Boot RAID O 2 74GB 10,000 RPM Raptors auto cloned to external drives
Currently Being ModeratedApr 19, 2006 4:51 PM (in response to Cindy)What are you going to loose if you do not purchase now? Is your current machine able to perform well and how much time is lost from a <slower> machine? After the new machines come out, the apps have to catch up to fully use the new processors.
Regards,MDD Dual 1GHz 2GB RAM / QS 867MHz 1.5GB RAM, Mac OS X (10.4.6), 2930 SCSI / 16x DVR-110D / Yamaha 01X / 1GB Shuffle / 4GB Nano :o)
Currently Being ModeratedApr 19, 2006 4:54 PM (in response to ds store)I don't really "need" a new computer right now as I am pretty happy with my dual G4. I think I am just worried I will be locked out of a G5 if that is what I want. I bought this machine under the same premise when I was worried I would lose OS9. I never missed it.MDD 867, Mac OS X (10.4.6)
Currently Being ModeratedApr 19, 2006 4:56 PM (in response to WWJD)WWJD, just saw your post. I cross posted so you will see my answer to that in the last post I made.MDD 867, Mac OS X (10.4.6)
Currently Being ModeratedApr 19, 2006 5:10 PM (in response to Cindy)I haven't checked this week, but Apple has been selling the G5 2.7DP PCI-X new for those that have an investment in PCI technology (and we are now seeing a few PCI Express controllers now for SCSI, SATA and FW), and some of those still have some bugs to work out.
There are an excellent selection of G5s and good values in the Apple Store Specials section where you can "drive away" in a PCI-X model or better that supports 8-16GB of memory (nice for those doing a bit of work with Photoshop and video editing). And $1699 for 2.0 Dual Core PCIe right now.
Sell the MDD once you are switched over, or keep it for backup. Buy a G5 now and sell one of them around... November '07. And give Adobe et al some time to work out the bugs and optimize their code, and for Leopard to have 6 months (just as you would for any production machine and Panther or Tiger, it takes that long to get the kinks out, and the Intel Pro machines will require Leopard almost certainly, so you won't be able to "fall back" to using Tiger if there is a problem.
That is my 2¢ take on this very common question.G4 MDD 1.25 1.75GB UL3D 15K Atlas, Mac OS X (10.4.6), BW G3 1GHz UL3S 15K Cheetah 9200 1GB
Currently Being ModeratedApr 19, 2006 5:21 PM (in response to The hatter)I dont see what you are talking about. The desktops start at $1999.MDD 867, Mac OS X (10.4.6)
Currently Being ModeratedApr 19, 2006 5:38 PM (in response to Cindy)Buy the G5 and use it for 1.5 years then decide after Adobe updates their software to YB. I don't blame you about the emulator, Adobe products are slow under it. Check www.barefeats.com for more info. I will say though that the intel machines currently are darn near as fast as most of the G5s.G4 MDD Pioneer 109 firmware 1.55, Mac OS X (10.4.6)
Currently Being ModeratedApr 25, 2006 12:21 AM (in response to Smokerz)If OS X is optimized for the 64 bit architecture of the PowerPC chip, how could the 32 bit Intel Core Duo at 32 bits be on par with the PowerPC chip?Mac OS X (10.4.6)
Currently Being ModeratedAug 14, 2006 1:45 PM (in response to Cindy)The new Mac Pros have been released. I am glad I decided not to get a G5.