Skip navigation

Export Apple mail to Outlook 2011 for Mac

58170 Views 48 Replies Latest reply: Mar 14, 2014 1:01 PM by Ckam001 RSS Branched to a new discussion.
  • vboyd666 Calculating status...
    Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 19, 2013 1:55 PM (in response to ReneeL)

    Here is what I've found through other forums. This worked for me:

     

    What i've done is the following:


    Configure gmail to be used as an imap service on your mail.app (on your mac)


    copy all the mail from the mail.app to that gmail account.


    Next; go to the Outlook, again configure the gmail account as an imap service and sync the account. that will give you the mail on Gmail in Outlook.


    next you copy the gmail mail to your outlook mailbox(es)...


    enjoy

  • B.bar Calculating status...
    Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 29, 2013 9:28 AM (in response to Sean548)

    Hi Sean --  I did try this, opened the mbox file in TextEdit, but it did not contain end of line characters at all.  Maybe they changed the format since the time you wrote?

  • Csound1 Level 7 Level 7 (32,490 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 29, 2013 10:14 AM (in response to B.bar)

    B.bar wrote:

     

    Hi Sean --  I did try this, opened the mbox file in TextEdit, but it did not contain end of line characters at all.  Maybe they changed the format since the time you wrote?

    Are you specifically looking for a free method? or a method that works?

  • TON456 Level 1 Level 1 (130 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 1, 2013 11:53 AM (in response to Csound1)

    Hey Fellas,

     

    I am also looking for the same answer (exporting Apple mail to Outlook 2011 for mac)

    Can you help me?

    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4936173

  • Csound1 Level 7 Level 7 (32,490 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 1, 2013 11:55 AM (in response to TON456)

    What type of mail system is it, POP, Imap or Exchange (the methods will differ)

  • TON456 Level 1 Level 1 (130 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 1, 2013 12:05 PM (in response to Csound1)

    Csound1 wrote:

     

    What type of mail system is it, POP, Imap or Exchange (the methods will differ)

    Its POP

  • Csound1 Level 7 Level 7 (32,490 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 1, 2013 12:08 PM (in response to TON456)

    That's a shame.

     

    Use one of the commercial converters (Emailchemy is the one I would use), but theoretically you could drag the mailbox tree to the desktop, then drag it into Outlook, but many report that method fails fairly often.

     

    There are other converters available but Emailchemy is old and well proven, none are free.

     

    However you choose to do it, backup first.

  • TON456 Level 1 Level 1 (130 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 1, 2013 12:18 PM (in response to Csound1)

    Csound1 wrote:

     

    That's a shame.

     

    Use one of the commercial converters (Emailchemy is the one I would use), but theoretically you could drag the mailbox tree to the desktop, then drag it into Outlook, but many report that method fails fairly often.

     

    There are other converters available but Emailchemy is old and well proven, none are free.

    okay I will give it a try

    Thanks

  • TON456 Level 1 Level 1 (130 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 2, 2013 11:14 AM (in response to Csound1)

    Csound1 wrote:

     

    That's a shame.

     

    Use one of the commercial converters (Emailchemy is the one I would use), but theoretically you could drag the mailbox tree to the desktop, then drag it into Outlook, but many report that method fails fairly often.

     

    There are other converters available but Emailchemy is old and well proven, none are free.

     

    However you choose to do it, backup first.

    Firstly I tried the drag-n-drop method but as you said that didn't work.

     

    Secondly i had a look at the converter you suggested and downloaded its free version. For one or two mails this tool worked great but after sometime my mails were not converted as they were in apple mail. Some mails were empty and some contained garbage content.

     

    What should i do? Please reply asap. I am in an emergency and need to convert my mails asap.

     

    Thanks

  • TON456 Level 1 Level 1 (130 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 2, 2013 11:16 AM (in response to Csound1)

    I also tried the methods suggested by sig on the thread I started:- https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4936173

    But these methods also didn't work for me.

  • Csound1 Level 7 Level 7 (32,490 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 2, 2013 1:05 PM (in response to TON456)

    TON456 Wrote:

     

    What should i do? Please reply asap. I am in an emergency and need to convert my mails asap.

    Outlook lacks any email export facilities, it was a poor choice if 'moveability' matters, but. All I can suggest (if Emailchemy failed) is to try some of the other commercial converters. Olmconverter pro has been mentioned but I have not used it.

     

    Also the method described byvboyd666 might work. (In reverse of course)

     

    If it were me I would not have started with Outlook, but that's not much help now

  • TON456 Level 1 Level 1 (130 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 2, 2013 4:15 PM (in response to Csound1)

    Csound1 wrote:

     

    TON456 Wrote:

     

    What should i do? Please reply asap. I am in an emergency and need to convert my mails asap.

    Outlook lacks any email export facilities, it was a poor choice if 'moveability' matters, but. All I can suggest (if Emailchemy failed) is to try some of the other commercial converters. Olmconverter pro has been mentioned but I have not used it.

     

    Also the method described byvboyd666 might work. (In reverse of course)

     

    If it were me I would not have started with Outlook, but that's not much help now

    Olm converer pro is for converting outlook mails to apple mail. But Here I am trying to do the reverse.

  • Csound1 Level 7 Level 7 (32,490 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 2, 2013 4:27 PM (in response to TON456)

    I said I had not used it. Thanks for the info.

     

    Then get an iMap account (Google) add it to Outlook and to Mail, copy the content from your existing account to the Gmail account, wait for it all to be transported. Open the account in Outlook and copy the content wherever you want.

  • TON456 Level 1 Level 1 (130 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 6, 2013 4:25 PM (in response to Csound1)

    Well Emailchemy is not the appropriate tool for this kind of migration. the following are the problems I faced using the trial version only:-

     

    Only a few mails could be transferred successfully.

    Most of the mails contained garbage material when converted and most of then were blank.

    Takes a lot of time to convert even a single mail.

    My laptop's processing was all consumed thanks to this tool and i can't run parallel programs while running this tool.

     

    Well these all were the problems i faced using EMAILCHEMY, even while using its trial version.

     

    Thank God i didn't buy it.

  • Csound1 Level 7 Level 7 (32,490 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 7, 2013 5:53 AM (in response to TON456)

    TON456 wrote:

     

    Well Emailchemy is not the appropriate tool for this kind of migration. the following are the problems I faced using the trial version only:-

     

    I use it regularly without any of these problems, I can only assume you are doing something wrong, shame you ever got involved with Outlook.

Actions

More Like This

  • Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

  • This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.