14 Replies Latest reply: May 1, 2013 9:10 AM by rmgman
gcos Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Today's Safarai upgrade, 5.1.9, seems to have disabled the Acrobat Pro (v 11) plugin. Anyone else notice this?


Mac OS X (10.6.8)
  • 1. Re: Safari upgrade disables Acrobat
    Bryan Pietrzak Level 1 Level 1 (25 points)

    Yes! I've seen too and it's a huge impact on our school as we MUST use the Adobe PDF plugin to work with editable inline forms.

  • 2. Re: Safari upgrade disables Acrobat
    Bryan Pietrzak Level 1 Level 1 (25 points)

    OK so I confirmed that if I downgrade Safari back to 5.1.7 (or 5.1.8 via the security update) that PDFs load again.

     

    Unfortunately, downgrading Safari 5.1.9 is a bit of a pain - you can't simply reinstall the package as installer.app won't let you because there is a newer version installed. You have to use Pacifist to install

  • 3. Re: Safari upgrade disables Acrobat
    gcos Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Caramba, what a nuisance. Thanks for the tip. The othjer alternative might be to uninstall and then reinstall Acrobat, but I mistrust the Suite installers' understanding of what's installled and what's not after an unistall.

     

    I'll try it with Reader first...

  • 4. Re: Safari upgrade disables Acrobat
    rmgman Level 3 Level 3 (520 points)

    I'm looking for a solution to this myself. But, I've found that even though you "see" a blank or dark screen, the PDF is actually there. If you right-click or control-click you can download the PDF and open it in Acrobat.

  • 5. Re: Safari upgrade disables Acrobat
    Bryan Pietrzak Level 1 Level 1 (25 points)


    gcos wrote:

     

    Caramba, what a nuisance. Thanks for the tip. The othjer alternative might be to uninstall and then reinstall Acrobat, but I mistrust the Suite installers' understanding of what's installled and what's not after an unistall.

     

    I'll try it with Reader first...

    I did full uninstalls of Reader and then tried both Reader 10.1.6 and 11.0.02 - nogo.

     

    Only downgrading to Safari 5.1.7 (fastest) or 5.1.8 (via the Security 2013-001 for 10.6 update) would work.

     

    I also tried simply grabbing Safari 5.1.8 from another machine (just the app). It's not the Safari app itself, but one of the frameworks (like WebKit) that it depends on.

  • 6. Re: Safari upgrade disables Acrobat
    Bryan Pietrzak Level 1 Level 1 (25 points)

    rmgman wrote:

     

    I'm looking for a solution to this myself. But, I've found that even though you "see" a blank or dark screen, the PDF is actually there. If you right-click or control-click you can download the PDF and open it in Acrobat.

     

    Yeah, problem for us we we have PDF forms that need be edited inline and get saved back into a database, so downloading and opening in Reader is not an option for us.

  • 7. Re: Safari upgrade disables Acrobat
    Bryan Pietrzak Level 1 Level 1 (25 points)

    fwiw, I filed a bug report with Apple regarding this (rdar://13694491)

  • 8. Re: Safari upgrade disables Acrobat
    gcos Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Thanks for filing the bug.

     

    BTW, I found another possible and simpler way to roll back, but haven't tried it yet:

     

    http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20110722154439693

  • 9. Re: Safari upgrade disables Acrobat
    rjjoshi Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

    I did some investigations and got Adobe Reader working on Safari 5.1.9 as well.

    Basically the earlier version of Safari used to have an entry in the com.apple.Safari.plist for WebKitOmitPDFSupport which is now removed. I just added it back.

     

    Workaround as follows :-

    1.) Go to LIbrary -> Prefrences

    2.) Open com.apple.Safari.plist in TextWrangler (or any other text editor).

    3.) Add a new key as follows :-

    <key>WebKitOmitPDFSupport</key>

    <true/>

    4.) Save the plist.

    5.) Restart Safari.

  • 10. Re: Safari upgrade disables Acrobat
    Bryan Pietrzak Level 1 Level 1 (25 points)

    Perfect! That did the trick. Thanks!

    rjjoshi wrote:

     

    I did some investigations and got Adobe Reader working on Safari 5.1.9 as well.

    Basically the earlier version of Safari used to have an entry in the com.apple.Safari.plist for WebKitOmitPDFSupport which is now removed. I just added it back.

     

    Workaround as follows :-

    1.) Go to LIbrary -> Prefrences

    2.) Open com.apple.Safari.plist in TextWrangler (or any other text editor).

    3.) Add a new key as follows :-

    <key>WebKitOmitPDFSupport</key>

    <true/>

    4.) Save the plist.

    5.) Restart Safari.

  • 11. Re: Safari upgrade disables Acrobat
    William Maxwell Level 1 Level 1 (90 points)

    You can also run this command in Terminal:

     

    defaults write com.apple.Safari WebKitOmitPDFSupport YES

     

    If Adobe Reader is installed: this will load all PDFs in Safari using Adobe Reader

    If Adobe Reader is NOT installed: visiting a site with PDFs will end up downloading the PDFs to your Downloads folder.

  • 12. Re: Safari upgrade disables Acrobat
    rayzausa Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    In Mountain Lion and Safari there is a way to easily fix without deleting plugins.

     

    Open Adobe Reader. Preferences/TrustManager--> Click Change Settings, then select "Allow PDF files to access all web sites"   Once you have done this click OK. Quit Adobe. Quit Safari. Reopen Safari.

    PDF's should now open.

    Here is a screen shot. Be sure to scroll down in the preferences categories to get to TrustManager if you do not see it at first.

     

    Screen Shot 2013-04-27 at 12.38.12 PM.png

    ray

  • 14. Re: Safari upgrade disables Acrobat
    rmgman Level 3 Level 3 (520 points)

    Rayzusa's solution worked for me. Happy, happy, joy, joy!