I've been troubleshooting this problem for far too many hours, and I am at a loss. I've tried everything other than reinstalling the entire system. Instead of doing that, I'm switching to Chrome and posting here in the hopes of finding a better solution.
The problem: Safari will not play google voice embedded audio voicemail files.
- The voicemails show up with a play icon and a time; when you click on them, the graphic changse to an audio file progress bar, but the file never plays.
- These voicemails WILL play in Chrome and they WILL play in Firefox.
- More frustratingly, they will also play on my wife's iMac that is also running all updated software (OS X 10.8.3, Safari 6.0.4, etc.), and on my own iOS devices with Safari.
- I'm running 10.8.3 on a 2.7ghz core i5 27" iMac.
- I have updated to the newest OS and all software updates.
- I'm running the newest version of Flash and Java, and all are functioning properly.
- I've uninstalled flip4mac and anything else that I thought might conflict with playing audio files.
- I've reset safari numerous times, booted into safe mode, restarted numerous times, emptied every cache under the sun, repaired permissions, run daily/weekly/monthly updatesa in termina, and tried disabling all internet plugins. Nothing works.
Any solutions, ideas, or even troubleshooting tips would be welcome. As I said at the outset, the only next step I can see is reinstalling ML, and I'd rather just switch to Chrome than do that...