is it standard for apple to install iMovie with a computer but not idvd?
YES - very sorry to say and we are many
I'm pretty sure idvd is not on my computer but I have completed a project in iMovie. Am i just going to have to buy something from apple to burn my movie onto a dvd?
Not many things to buy from Apple - as they left the DVD format and even supply fewer and fewed CD/DVD-players on their Mac too !
my note on this - No iDVD on my Mac !
If there is no iDVD on Your Mac (and it's not on newer Macs as Apple discarded it) then You need a program that can do this.
Your Mac can burn CDs and DVDs - BUT DVD as Data-DVDs not as Video-DVDs - they need a program to be encoded and STRUCTURED as such.
• iDVD is part of the boxed version of iLife'11 and can only be bought outside Apple as on Amazon and e-bay
• DVD Studio pro - Part of FinalCut Studio Pro bundle - this to has expired and can only be bought second handed. (High price and tough learning Curve - but best ever done.)
• Roxio Toast™ - Not as elegant as iDVD - but has many other positive additions (I like it as 10-Pro incl BD-component) (now version 11)
• Burn - only free alternative I know of on internet. Very simple - Just for doing a plain Video-DVD
only You can buy from Apple is
• FinalCut Pro-X which also can burn to DVD but without any nice themes.
You can also buy Compressor from Apple for $50 US. It will also create DVD and BluRay but without the nice themes.
Yours Bengt W
Yes, there are other programs that will put a movie on a DVD. I have tried most of the other substitutes including Toast, Burn, DVD Creator, Wondershare, and others. None of them come anywhere near the ease-of-use and power of iDVD. IDVD is specifically designed to work with iMovie.
With iDVD you can easily and quickly create DVDs with menus and graphics almost on the level of what Hollywood can do.
IDVD is easy to get. It is available on disk as part of iLife 11.
IDVD is a wonderful piece of software and well worth the low cost of $40. (works with all Mac OS 10.5 and newer.)
If you have to purchase an iLife disc in order to obtain the iDVD application remember that the iLife 11 disc only provides themes from iDVD 5-7. The Software Update no longer installs the earlier themes when starting from the iLIfe 11 disk nor do any of the iDVD 7 updaters available from the Apple Downloads website contain them.
Currently the only sure fire way to get all themes is to start with the iLife 09 disc:
This shows the iDVD contents in the iLife 09 disc via Pacifist:
You then can upgrade from iDVD 7.0.3 to iDVD 7.1.2 via the updaters at the Apple Downloads webpage.