1 2 Previous Next 28 Replies Latest reply: Jun 9, 2013 5:00 PM by Pancenter Go to original post
  • 15. Re: Why does the Manual mention input strips?
    Pancenter Level 5 Level 5 (7,640 points)

    CCTM wrote:

     

    Hi

    Pancenter wrote:

     

    You can record your live performance as an audio track by:

     

    Ahhh... I see where the OP is headed now... ;-)

     

     

    CCT

     

    It was the Churchill quote that threw me.

  • 16. Re: Why does the Manual mention input strips?
    55plus Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

    Guys,please don't give all your secrets away. But seriously,thanks for giving this incignificant subject so much detailed info,I will try to stop my verbosity and reply to your kind suggestions, forive me that I have trouble doing the qoute thing-looks really Qwel [Eric Cartmans accent].

     

    Before I can record I must practice a LOT which requires hearing not only me on my breath controller, but accompanimen too,it used to work this way-select then record enable and mute the track, doing this in previous Pro versions worked as well as express, if the track I want to control isn't muted the sequencer will of course playback what is in the score for that track,this gets in the way of my trying to add dynamic expression and a tiny bit of rubato[although Logic and rubato are not friends, in fact I have used bars in very strange values 5/4insteat of 4/4 to get a luft pause[breathing pause]at the end of a phrase; and despite the track being muted I could still hear what I was doing with the controller on the software inst. I even recorded a few bits that way and it worked. My breath controller has been in the repair shop since last Nov. and so I haven't been doing anything in Logic all this time except mouse inputing scores that have a solo wind part and either a small string group, or a giant Hollywood Orchestra.My point being that I can't record/practice the solo part without hearing the rest and me. Would a Mackie 402 VLZ3 do the trick?

     

    I have tried some of the approachs you mention above. I sent the solo software inst. output to a bus and sent the bus to stereo output 1-2,nada. The bus input had only a greyed out stereo out 1-2.

     

    I see now that this way needs the solo track bounced,but as I explained I can't record a solo that has no bass,and no harmony, maybe some rock guitarists will say they can't do a recording without a drummer. I admit I have a bad reputation here in Europe because I liked and kept the tempo steady and the solo singers told the conductor to not lower the volume of the Bassoon because that was what they were using to stay in step with the pit band,Emma Kikby was very insistant that the tempo should remain steady when I was playing the bass line, she asked me How do you breath? I said when ever you do. And I'm a good faker,no matter what the score says the music comes first,I just improvised a new bass line in concert and was only able to do so because there was a harmonic sequence  in progress audibly to reference to. And 18th Century chord progressions are so heavenly predictable.

     

    When I get a set up that allows me to mute the track I want to play on my breath controller this senario will work I think. I need the set up that works in playback mode so I can hear all when practicing, any ideas how that would be set up?  I am more and more convinced that the old EDIrol UA-25 was the reason I could hear the muted track-there can be no other way can there?

     

    Just one more question,if this BESPECO MIDI Interface requires no drivers but shows up as online connected to Ports 1 and 2 then it has been recognized by the Audio/MIDI set up, right? and should work,it does work but these cables all over the place are insane.

  • 17. Re: Why does the Manual mention input strips?
    CCTM Level 6 Level 6 (9,015 points)

    Hi

     

    In order for us to help you, it would be a great help if you could possibly be more concise with your posts

    55plus wrote:

     

    I will try to stop my verbosity

     

    Then 55plus went on... and on... and on...

     

    Honestly, I find it incredibly difficult to decode your post, such that I think the questions were (?):

     

     

    55plus wrote:

     

    My point being that I can't record/practice the solo part without hearing the rest and me. Would a Mackie 402 VLZ3 do the trick?

     

    Probably not... you should be able to achieve what you need within Logic (see Pancenter's post above)

     

     

    55plus wrote:

     

     

    I have tried some of the approachs you mention above. I sent the solo software inst. output to a bus and sent the bus to stereo output 1-2,nada. The bus input had only a greyed out stereo out 1-2.

     

     

    This makes no sense to me. Perhaps you could post a screenshot of your mixer?

     

    and

     

     

    55plus wrote:

     

     

    Just one more question,if this BESPECO MIDI Interface requires no drivers but shows up as online connected to Ports 1 and 2 then it has been recognized by the Audio/MIDI set up, right? and should work,it does work but these cables all over the place are insane.

    Is this a question, an observation, or an expression of your dislike of cables?

     

     

     

    CCT

  • 18. Re: Why does the Manual mention input strips?
    Pancenter Level 5 Level 5 (7,640 points)

    55plus wrote:

     

     

    Before I can record I must practice a LOT which requires hearing not only me on my breath controller, but accompanimen too,it used to work this way-select then record enable and mute the track, doing this in previous Pro versions worked as well as express, if the track I want to control isn't muted the sequencer will of course playback what is in the score for that track,this gets in the way of my trying to add dynamic expression

     

    In Logic's  Preferences/Audio  click on the "General" tab.

     

    Do you see..    Track Mute/Solo:     set it to  CPU-Saving (Slow Response)

     

    Quit Logic, restart and see if that helps.

  • 19. Re: Why does the Manual mention input strips?
    CCTM Level 6 Level 6 (9,015 points)

    Hi

     

     

    CCTM wrote:

     

    You are probably (a guess) expecting the behaviour that would be with Preferences:Audio:General Track Mute/Solo Slow in Logic 8/9?

     

     

    Exhausting.... ;-)

     

     

    CCT

  • 20. Re: Why does the Manual mention input strips?
    Pancenter Level 5 Level 5 (7,640 points)

    CCTM wrote:

     

    Hi

     

     

    CCTM wrote:

     

    You are probably (a guess) expecting the behavior that would be with Preferences:Audio:General Track Mute/Solo Slow in Logic 8/9?

     

     

    Exhausting.... ;-)

     

     

    CCT

     

    Extremely so!

     

    After I posted that I went back and read your early post as I thought I'd seen it before, I assumed it didn't work for the OP, after going through all the other rigmarole, it's the only answer.

  • 21. Re: Why does the Manual mention input strips?
    chorleyman Level 4 Level 4 (1,415 points)

    55plus wrote:

     

    It is mentioned but never explained how to do it,typical RTFM joke.

     

    I totally understand what you say and I'm 61 too - that was my point - I'm not an audio engineer that thinks about that stuff for quite a few hours a day on a regular basis - if I'd done that for some time I ought to be a pretty forking good by one by now - I have all kinds of things to consider and give priorities to.

     

    You must be bothered about getting somewhere with this (yeah, for yourself first), because you wouldn't keep coming back here, for example, would you ? CCT and Pancenter must have given you some ways to think about it all and not all realisations come to me at once anyway, you know...

  • 22. Re: Why does the Manual mention input strips?
    Pancenter Level 5 Level 5 (7,640 points)

    If you open Logic's Help Menu and type  "Input Channel Strip"  its all right there, the explanation of where it can be created and it's purpose. If the manual says the Input channel strip object can only be created in the Environment the next search would be creating environment objects. In it's own way, Logic's layout is very logical. It helps if you have an idea of what object oriented programming is, you tend to see Logic as a single entity instead of separate screens, functions...etc. Whether you're looking at the Arrange page or the Environment, you're actually looking at the same thing.

     

    But I agree with CCT in that 55plus could've explained the procedure he was trying to accomplish in a single, short paragraph, it was very difficult to decipher what he was trying to do.

  • 23. Re: Why does the Manual mention input strips?
    55plus Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

    Oh God, I am sooo embassered to have tortured you all for so long.

     

    I decided last night that I do not posses the neccessary organs to understand how Logic Pro should be set up.

     

    I have just sent a request to George Legeri,who has also been tortured by me,in the LUG, asking the price of one long email instruction how to se up Logic Pro for what I want to do.

     

    I will feel much less guilty if I am buying an experts time and knowledge instead of driving all you wonderful people nuts with my constant non sequitors and disgustig verbosity, they got me sent home in 6th grade with a note to my parents asking them to train me not to go on and on and on, but they apparently were not successful.

     

    Though EXTREMELY tempting, I will not waste your time further with excuses, there are none-I'm a Basoonist isn't really a good excuse, too insulting to normal Bassoonists.

     

    I fear I will not be able to stop myself from repeating this post as a reply to each of you individually, mea culpa and God bless you all.

  • 24. Re: Why does the Manual mention input strips?
    55plus Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

    yes, the torture goes on. I

     

    I now must thank you pancenter for your many brave attemps to help, my post above is to you as well.

     

    Again, I refuse to go on boring you.

     

    You may say my posts are not boring, just very badly thought out and too verbose, too kind dear Sir.

  • 25. Re: Why does the Manual mention input strips?
    55plus Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

    chorleyman, Thanks for the support.

     

    I have enjoyed your repies.

     

    I even feel slightly less of an idiot after reading your replies.

     

    I pray all goes well for you and yours in the land of hope and glory.

     

    Yes, I am an anglophile. I spent many summes with aussie anglophiles [ yes they do exist ] in a 1920's mansion in a hamlet near Bath-heavenly to look from the gareden out to the next hill, where the remains of a Roman wall and tower sit above a green slope filled with grazing sheep.

     

    The mail adress was Fairly, Midford, Bath-all gone now, new house, not so charming. Aussie friends all dead.

    Cheers!! David

  • 26. Re: Why does the Manual mention input strips?
    55plus Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

    CCTM, you hit the on the head.

     

    The Post above beginning with Oh God, was also for you.

     

    I won't repeat it here.

     

    Thanks sincerely for the many courageous attempts to decifer the scriblings of an idiot.

     

    I am putting my hope in Geoges hands because I would be paying for the work, not irritating nice extremely talented people like you and the others who so freely and kindly offer to try to understand the question so badly hidden in the exccesively verbose Posts I am unable to stop sending.

     

    Please don't feel you have failed me, it is me that's a failure as far as understanding Logic.

     

    George just replied to my request,and only $180 for 3 hours in 15 minute sessions, I will do that instead of

    buying the Mackie.

     

    Sllightly more expensive than the Mackie, but surely bettter than this thread of undecyferable posts from me and very many kind sincere offers of help from so many of you.

     

    Please don't take this as a rejection, as I said above it's me who can't get it together, you guys are really great

    .

    Pray for poor George, I fear he will have to work hard to understand any of what I say, my speech is as verbose as my Posts, and I'm a recovering skeptic.

    Cheeers!!

  • 27. Re: Why does the Manual mention input strips?
    chorleyman Level 4 Level 4 (1,415 points)

    55plus wrote:

     

    I will do that instead of

    buying the Mackie.

    I think that is really a very sensible decision - if this guy knows his stuff, you will undoubtedly get a lot of answers that you need and be able to make some proper progress - we all have to keep finding a way of moving forward.

     

    I'm in the north of England (I have visited Bath, which is beautiful) and I know what you mean about being at our time in life when one begins to lose one's friends, its just the inevitable course of nature, I'm afraid.

  • 28. Re: Why does the Manual mention input strips?
    Pancenter Level 5 Level 5 (7,640 points)

    Skepticism and verbosity are fine as long as they serve your needs and not prove a hindrance.

     

    Hope George and you hit it off and gets your setup going.

1 2 Previous Next