Hello Kieran Smith 9,
I recommend a few things here.
First would be to take a look at the USB connections using this article, iOS: Troubleshooting USB connection found here: http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1286
All iOS devices require a USB 2.0 connection. Follow the appropriate steps below to check for USB 2.0 on your computer:
Once you determine that your computer has a USB 2.0 connection, use the following steps to troubleshoot the connection between the device and the computer. Test after each step:
- Update to the latest version of iTunes.
- Plug the device directly into a high-power USB 2.0 port on the computer. If possible, use a USB port on the back of the computer.
- Avoid plugging the device into a keyboard, display, or standalone hub. The USB ports on these accessories may be low-power or only offer USB 1.x connections.
- If you are using an accessory, remove the device from the dock and connect it to the computer using only the Apple USB to Dock Connector cable.
- If you have access to additional Apple USB to Dock Connector cables, try testing with another if the first one doesn't work.
- Restart your computer and device. To restart your device:
- Hold the power button until "slide to power off" appears. Slide to power off your device. When it is off, press the Sleep/Wake button to turn it back on.
- Disconnect all USB devices from your computer, except for your keyboard and mouse. Then reconnect the iOS device. If the issue is resolved, reconnect other USB devices, testing after each connection.
Another article describes what to do if you are using Windows and see an unknown error containing "0xE" when connecting your device.
If the issue persists and you are using virtualization software to run another operating system alongside Mac OS X, quit that software; it may create virtual USB ports that may be causing the issue. Or you can try to control or restrict access to USB ports while running the virtualization software.
Here is some additional info with troubleshooting the device not being recognized in Windows or iTunes.
iPod not recognized in 'My Computer' and in iTunes for Windows
All the best,