Skip navigation

Bring back old working Spaces and Expose

38296 Views 362 Replies Latest reply: Apr 9, 2014 3:09 AM by Claudio 69 RSS Branched to a new discussion.
  • petermac87 Level 5 Level 5 (4,065 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 5, 2013 3:51 PM (in response to TomDSchneider)

    TomDSchneider wrote:

     

    Just because they made a mistake does not mean that Apple cannot correct it.  That's the same argument that kept people in slavery - we have always done it this way.  It's not a valid argument.

     

     

    Slavery and Spaces? That is a very sick comparison! Very sick! Pretty much sums up your reputation, imo.

     

    I use the old OSX when I can but I recognize that is limited and eventually it will go away.  Apple is alienating scientists and others who like their platform by degrading it.  They risk losing that market to Linux.

     

    Links to your sources please. Thank you.

     

    You have not responded to my points.

     

    Not the ill-informed ones. Not the ridiculous ones. Not the ones you made up. Were there others?

     

     

    Cheers and good luck with other posters with your 'Slavery' comparisons. That really is sick, you know.

     

    Pete

  • Thierry de Villeneuve Level 1 Level 1 (115 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 5, 2013 4:26 PM (in response to petermac87)

    I don't express opinions : I express facts. My seniority and credentials allow me to make such statements. 

     

    My job is to design software for facilities and machines and that manufacture chips that end up in Macs, iPads, iPhone, printers, etc (including Apple's competitors).  And all of us here have such components on their desks. I've been doing this for nearly 30 years.

     

    The first computer I had the hands on had ferrite cores for memory and SPST switches for keyboard. I'm happy this times are gone and since then, I've known many many other systems, including NeXTSTEP (little here can say so). Enough to be entitled to define what's useful and what's not for my work.

     

    It's fine with me if Apple wants to make the move to turn all of it's Mac line into iPads small or big, as long as it leaves me the options to use the tools that allows me to get my job done. But I'm not running behind the sheep in front of me like some do here, bowing in front of the next new trick out of the hat ... because it's "new".

     

    It's a fact. Apple has left engineers like myself on the side. It's their choice and it doesn't suit me. What counts to me is that I was still buying Macintoshes during the years no one was betting a dime on the brand. I can say "I was there".

     

     

    It's impressive to see how people become odious and even insulting when they realize that what they praise is not praised by others. It requires to be reported.

  • petermac87 Level 5 Level 5 (4,065 points)

    Thierry de Villeneuve wrote:

     

    I don't express opinions : I express facts. My seniority and credentials allow me to make such statements. 

     

     

    So I can see by all the facts and evidence you provide. Not to be rude, but I really do not care.

     

    There are two of you here that seriously need to return to a system you can use. I think 10.7 is above your IQ level.

     

    Pete

  • TomDSchneider Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 5, 2013 4:41 PM (in response to petermac87)

    Pete: you would do well not to be insulting.  It demonstrates that in fact you have nothing else to say and shows me that you are not intelligent.  If you claim to have intelligence, how many scientific papers have you published?

  • petermac87 Level 5 Level 5 (4,065 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 5, 2013 5:55 PM (in response to TomDSchneider)

    One more than you. Goodnight Professor.

     

    Pete

  • Thierry de Villeneuve Level 1 Level 1 (115 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 6, 2013 5:03 AM (in response to petermac87)

    petermac87 wrote:

     

     

    There are two of you here that seriously need to return to a system you can use. I think 10.7 is above your IQ level.

     

    Pete

     

    Sir. This is an insult and I shall not tolerate it. I'll report it because it's an infrigment to the Tems of Use whose link is set in the footer of each page.

     

    If you can't make your point without resorting to insulting your party then you aren't worth this place you claim defenfing the positions of the Apple Company ... who hasn't entitled you of representing them.

     

    You haven't brought one single technical argument. Gloating about "future is better" is not a technical argument.

     

    From what I've seen, it seems to me that you have nothing much to do of your time besides trying to get some credentials from being rude with people that - evidently - have more knowledge than you have, and come across your scheme.

     

    You're a nuisance rather than a help to the community.

     

    Thierry

  • TomDSchneider Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 6, 2013 5:21 AM (in response to petermac87)

    Dr. Pete, please provide a link to your cv.

  • RobBT Level 1 Level 1 (75 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 6, 2013 8:40 AM (in response to TomDSchneider)

    Pete's goal is to get this thread closed.

    He got close to this once, when the moderator removed quite a chunk of Pete vs. the Upset Reasonable People's posts. To any new person coming to this thread, our answers to Pete's posts may also obscure what the discussion really is about. So, altogether I think we should ignore Pete. Totally. No matter what insanely brilliantly clever sharp sting he'd post.

  • petermac87 Level 5 Level 5 (4,065 points)

    There is nothing to help with. Spaces has gone. Mission Control is part of the latest THREE OSXs.  Ignore it if you will. You are the one throwing around the wild and ridiculous accusations here. As Rob said. This has run its course. Complain to Apple. No one here can do anything for you.

     

    Regards

     

    Pete

  • DaveSpencer Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    There are some reasonable third party apps available to overcome the somewhat lacking Mission Control. This would suggest that we are no on our own when it comes to disliking MC.

     

    <Edited By Host>

  • TomDSchneider Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 7, 2013 12:03 AM (in response to DaveSpencer)

    Thanks for the support David.

     

    I have a technical question.  TotalSpaces works, but unfortunately

    it's clumsy (slow but jumpy graphics) compared to the original smooth

    Spaces/Expose.  Still, it does provide a sensible rectangular array of

    spaces to work with.

     

    Nevertheless, I'm forced to use it on one of my computers but Expose

    only works when all Spaces are showing.  I have carefully avoided OS X

    8 because of this fiasco, but I suspect that in OS X 8 one can get the

    Expose for a single Space at a time.  Is that true?  (Mission Control

    is useless for looking at 20 windows simultaneously so it does not

    count at all for this question.)

  • petermac87 Level 5 Level 5 (4,065 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 7, 2013 12:18 AM (in response to DaveSpencer)

    DaveSpencer wrote:

     

     

    Note to resident troll: do not bother responding in your usual child like manner as I am not interested in your pathetic rubbish.

    Still losing sleep over this after two years Dave?

     

    You really should unsubscribe to this thread.

     

    The original question has been answered. Just can't seem to get some users to accept reality.

     

    Very sad.

     

    Cheers

     

    Pete

  • petermac87 Level 5 Level 5 (4,065 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 7, 2013 12:22 AM (in response to TomDSchneider)

    TomDSchneider wrote:

     

    but I suspect that in OS X 8 one can get the

    Expose for a single Space at a time.  Is that true? 

    1st Google Hit

     

    http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57485222-263/restore-classic-expose-behavio r-in-mountain-lion/

     

    Cheers

     

    Pete

  • TomDSchneider Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 7, 2013 11:04 AM (in response to petermac87)

    Thank you Peter.  What google search did you use?

  • petermac87 Level 5 Level 5 (4,065 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 7, 2013 1:22 PM (in response to TomDSchneider)

    expose mountain lion

     

    Sounds ridiculously technical, I know.

     

    Does it really matter? The fact is that if one bothers to Google the subject they would find many hits immediately. Seems a lot easier than coming to this one 'specific' out of date thread to try to ask the question. Point made.

     

    Pete

Actions

More Like This

  • Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Legend

  • This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.