Skip navigation

Is there a thunderbolt to firewire 400 adaptor available?

519 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Jul 20, 2013 10:40 AM by Ros RSS
Ros Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Jul 20, 2013 10:28 AM

I have an old Sony handycam (connects using firewire 400) with heaps of footage on it from years of overseas travel. When I buy my new Macbook Pro, I want to load my video into iMovie. I see there is a thunderbolt to firewire 800 adaptor, but that's no use to me.




  • mende1 Level 10 Level 10 (89,490 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 20, 2013 10:34 AM (in response to Ros)

    I'm sorry but there isn't a Thunderbolt to FireWire 400 adapter. In your case, what you can try is to buy a Thunderbolt to FireWire 800 adapter, and a FireWire 400 to 800 cable, so it should work.


    Also, have you got a MacBook Pro with Retina display? If not, your MacBook should have a FireWire 800 port, so you just need the FireWire 400 to 800 cable


More Like This

  • Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)


  • This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.