Welcome to Apple Support Communities
Of course. If you want to install Windows, your Mac has got an Intel processor, so you can install it.
First, see which Windows versions you can use with your MacBook Pro > http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5634?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US Then, decide which version you want to use and buy a full or System Builder version. I recommend you to have a look at NewEgg or Amazon.
Then, you just have to open Boot Camp Assistant (in /Applications/Utilities) and follow the steps. Follow the Apple's steps to install Windows > http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/boot_camp_install-setup_10.8.pdf
I recommend you to install Windows in Boot Camp because you are going to use applications that require GPU. If you install Windows in a virtual machine, you will have performance issues
Boot Camp Community
is where questions about Windows on Mac belongMac 101: Using Windows on your Mac via Boot Camp
Helpful Apple Support Resources (Forum Overview)
Boot Camp 4.0, OS X Lion: Frequently asked question
Boot Camp: Frequently asked questions about installing Windows 8
SummaryLearn more about how Mac computers can run Windows 8 using Boot Camp 5.
Boot Camp, Windows 8
General installation questionsWhat is Boot Camp 5?
Boot Camp 5 is not a release of OS X software. Rather, it is a release of the Windows Support Software (drivers). You will need to use this software on your Mac with Windows 8 or Windows 7. For more information on Boot Camp 5, see this article.
Which Macs support Windows 8?
- MacBook Air (Mid 2011 or newer)
- MacBook Pro (Mid 2010 or newer)
- Mac Pro (Early 2009 or newer)
- Mac Mini (Mid 2011 or newer)
- iMac (27-inch, Mid 2010 or Mid 2011 or newer)
What are the System Requirements for Windows 8?
Please see this article.
How can I install Windows 8 on an eligible computer?
Use the Boot Camp Assistant. The assistant will partition your internal hard drives and install Windows 8. For more information on Windows 8 installation, see the Boot Camp Installation & Setup Guide.
Can I use an upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 8?
Yes. Download and install the Boot Camp 5 Support Software before attemping the upgrade by using the Boot Camp Assistant in OS X Mountain Lion v10.8.3. Alternatively, you can manually download the Boot Camp 5 Windows Support Software here.
When I do an upgrade install from Windows 7 to Windows 8, an "Uninstall USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver" message appears. What do I do?
Do not click on Uninstall. Click the back button and Cancel the upgrade. Download the Boot Camp 5 Support Software by using the Boot Camp Assistant in OS X Mountain Lion v10.8.3, or click here to download them. Then, try the upgrade again. See this article for more information.
After upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 8, Thunderbolt devices are being recognized when I connect in. How do I fix this?
Disable the Windows 8 Fast Boot feature to allow Thunderbolt devices to be recognized. See Boot Camp: Thunderbolt devices not recognized after Windows 8 upgrade for instructions.
Is there an OS X version requirement to use the Boot Camp Assistant to download Boot Camp 5 Support Software?
You need OS X Mountain Lion v10.8.3 or later installed to download the Boot Camp 5 Support Software (Windows drivers) using the Boot Camp Assistant. After upgrading, click the Go menu and choose Utilities. Then, open Boot Camp Assistant and follow the onscreen instructions. You can download the Boot Camp Installation & Setup Guide.
Is there a download of the Boot Camp 5 Support Software if I'm not using OS X Mountain Lion v10.8.3?
Yes, you can download the Boot Camp 5 Support Software here.
How do I use the Boot Camp 5 Support Software I downloaded from the web page?
- The download file is a .zip file. Double click it to uncompress it.
- Double-click the Boot Camp disk image.
- Copy the Boot Camp and "$WinPEDriver$" folders to the root level of a USB flash drive or hard drive that is formatted with the FAT file system (see question below for steps on how to format).
- Install Windows, leaving the flash or hard drive attached to the USB port of your Mac.
- Installation of the drivers can take a few minutes. Don't interrupt the installation process. A completion dialog box will appear when everything is installed. Click Finish when the dialog appears.
- When your system restarts your Windows 8 installation is done.
How do I format USB media to the FAT file system?
Use Disk Utility to format a disk to use with a Windows computer. Here's how:
Important: Formatting a disk erases all the files on it. Copy any files you want to save to another disk before formatting the disk.
- Open Disk Utility.
- Select the disk you want to format for use with Windows computers.
- Click Erase, and choose one of the following from the Format pop-up menu:
- If the size of the disk is 32 GB or less, choose MS-DOS (FAT).
- If the size of the disk is over 32 GB, choose ExFAT.
- Type a name for the disk. The maximum length is 11 characters.
- Click the Erase button and then click Erase again.
Which versions of Windows are supported with Boot Camp 5?
64-bit versions of Windows 8 and Windows 7 are supported using the Boot Camp 5 Support Software. If you need to use a 32-bit version, you need to use Boot Camp 4 Support Software, and you must use Windows 7. 32-bit versions of Windows 8 are not supported via Boot Camp. For a complete list of Windows OS support, click here.