Skip navigation

MacBook Pro Retina display burn-in?

1275635 Views 9,423 Replies Latest reply: Apr 19, 2014 9:10 AM by Restj RSS Branched to a new discussion.
  • Locoroco Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 30, 2013 3:22 AM (in response to techguruu)

    Read my post.

     

    Basically, don't lose hope and keep trying until you get a display that does not upset you that much.  That yellow tint seems prevalent for Sammy displays, at least in my case.  Some may point out that you could use some calibration tools but it will never be like "real" by trading for bluish tints at other specturms.

     

    You could always write to the man himself and you'll probably get a fast response from his "executive people".  Good luck.

  • THeuving Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 30, 2013 3:27 AM (in response to Locoroco)

    Who are you refering to when you say 'the man'?

    Apple's Execs are the ones setting the rules and procedures for Apple Care and the Customer Relations. Seems like more people are experiencing problems when they go to a Genius or call Apple Care.

  • simp1istic Calculating status...
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 30, 2013 1:18 PM (in response to Locoroco)

    I just had mine repaired, I bought it at launch. They placed a Samsung panel in it that looks great after calibration.

  • 2B-4G10 Calculating status...
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 30, 2013 5:48 PM (in response to mittense)

    NO Calibration of any kind can be as good as LG's clarity that's a FACT!

     

    Anyway i was surfing when i found this http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/07/26/rumor-haswell-powered-retina-macbook-p ros-to-ship-in-october

     

    as the url says in october we shall see a re-new'ed version, and i think they're post-fixing to embed the good screens in the new ones. or i'm hoping so perhaps.

     

    Apple you've gone wrong since steve passed away but you've been fooling for too long and that's enough.

    what is to be expected from your actions i wonder!!!

  • DomdiDom Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 30, 2013 6:57 PM (in response to 2B-4G10)

    Zero evidence of new screens that I've found, zero evidence that the Haswell chips will make any difference to what believe is a production problem at LG. Everyone thinks the IR is heat related but nobody knows anything for sure because neither Apple nor LG are talking. So ya, hope is the word from what I can tell.

     

    Myself, after reading the horror stories from people in this thread and how they've been treated when trying to get their defective screens replace, I'll be waiting a minimum of six months to a year to see if there's any IR complaints with the new mbpr's.

  • FatMac\>MacPro Level 4 Level 4 (2,070 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 30, 2013 7:21 PM (in response to DomdiDom)

    DomdiDom wrote:

     

    ...Everyone thinks the IR is heat related but nobody knows anything for sure because neither Apple nor LG are talking...

    Does everyone think the IR is heat related? I've raised that question a number of times, because I haven't seen any IR yet on my LG screen but I run the brightness way down. It makes sense, but when I've asked, all there is is silence...

     

    BTW, this is the 8,000th reply; anyone know if it's the longest thread in the Apple Support Communities?

  • Merch Visoiu Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 30, 2013 7:23 PM (in response to FatMac\>MacPro)

    FatMac\>MacPro wrote:

    Does everyone think the IR is heat related?

     

    No, the image retention is not heat related. I've seen slight image retention on my iPad first generation and that thing never gets hot. The image retention is just due to the manufacture of the screen. You have an LG? I think you're lucky. Your LG must have perfect colour. Don't trade in your LG for a Samsung if you discover slight image retention or white spots because you'll get a yellow Samsung screen like I did and regret it. I traded in my LG screen because it had white spots. I never noticed image retention. OK, I lied; I didn't check if my old screen was LG or Samsung, I'm just asuming.

  • FatMac\>MacPro Level 4 Level 4 (2,070 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 30, 2013 7:36 PM (in response to Merch Visoiu)

    Merch Visoiu wrote:

     

    ...No, the image retention is not heat related. I've seen slight image retention on my iPad first generation and that thing never gets hot...

    Heat obviously can't be the only cause because Sumsungs used with the brightness full on don't seem to be plagued with IR. But I think it's possible that heat generated within the confines of the screen structure could cause problems without the whole device getting noticeably warm and  at least the original LG's may be more susceptible to it (mine's an SJA2). Oddly enough, the User Manual that came with my Samsung LED TV warns against leaving a static image on the screen for too long in order to avoid IR. It even has a built-in screen saver that kicks in if the TV thinks the image has been static for too long.

     

    And as far as switching goes, my motto is "if it works, leave it alone."

  • Canuck1970 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 31, 2013 10:55 AM (in response to Merch Visoiu)

    Merch Visoiu wrote:

     

    "No, the image retention is not heat related. I've seen slight image retention on my iPad first generation and that thing never gets hot. "

     

    Actually, although I agree that the existence of image retention does not seem to be related to heat, there does seem to be a reasonable amount of anecdotal evidence on this thread that there is a link between IR severity and heat. One contributor even did a test with cold spray that appears to support this.

  • Canuck1970 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 31, 2013 11:21 AM (in response to 2B-4G10)

    2B-4G10 wrote:

     

    "NO Calibration of any kind can be as good as LG's clarity that's a FACT!"

     

    I don't agree, at least not based on my experience. I had my IR-plagued LG LCD planel replaced with a Samsung panel and one of the first things that I noticed was that the text seemed crisper than it did on the LG. It's possible that Apple's panel-to-panel quality tolerance (for both Samsung and LG) is unacceptably wide, especially for a machine in this price range. 

  • Merch Visoiu Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 31, 2013 11:24 AM (in response to Canuck1970)

    Canuck1970 wrote:

     

    I had my IR-plagued LG LCD planel replaced with a Samsung panel and one of the first things that I noticed was that the text seemed crisper than it did on the LG.

     

    Not all the Samsung displays are yellow. I think you can go into an Apple store or an electronics store and find display units and check their display manufacturer and it could be a non-yellow Samsung display. Luckily you got a non-yellow Samsung display. I got a yellow Samsung and when I went to complain about it the Genuis agreed that it was yellow but told me it was within Apple's limits so he couldn't replace it.

  • lickwidspace Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 31, 2013 12:01 PM (in response to Merch Visoiu)

    My replacement Samsung screen looks better than my original LG. 

     

    I even did I side by side compare with my friends identical machine,  which still has the original LG panel in it.  There is no noticeable hue difference on any of the brightness levels.  And as mentioned above, my display appears to have slightly crisper lines on the fonts. 

  • Canuck1970 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 31, 2013 12:58 PM (in response to Merch Visoiu)

    Merch Visoiu wrote:

     

    "Genius agreed that it was yellow but told me it was within Apple's limits"

     

    Apple's limits are the problem.

     

  • LMK69 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 31, 2013 1:09 PM (in response to mittense)

    To all Samsung panel users,

     

    there is a link to an icc calibration file that works pretty good further up in this thread that indeed works very good.

     

    My Samsung replacement panel wasnt color true when it returned from

    Service but applying the icc file fixes it all.

     

    If you cannot recalibrate yourself, you should apply

    That icc file as a first measure to get colors 90%+ color true.

     

    I cannot complain about the panel at all with this file.

     

    True professionals have calibration hardware that for sure will even give better results.

     

    You can ask around and see if you find some graphics guru that will

    Override your LG icc file.

     

    Dont blame the Samsung panel for wrong colors,, it runs on the preset LG icc calibration file and thus has no chance to provide true colors.

     

    Lars

  • Merch Visoiu Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 31, 2013 1:22 PM (in response to LMK69)

    LMK69 wrote:

     

    Dont blame the Samsung panel for wrong colors,, it runs on the preset LG icc calibration file and thus has no chance to provide true colors.

     

    Sorry, but this idea that the reason the Samsung screen is yellow is because the Mac is calibrated to LG is nonsense. If this were true then you should be able to simply create a new user profile or erase and reinstall OS X and the supposed LG-calibrated profile would be gone. But if you try to create a new user profile the screen is still yellow. I expect the same thing to happen if you erase your hard drive and reinstall OS X. You can see that the display is yellow if you boot into repair mode (hold option-D during boot) and the screen will be yellow there too before the colour profile is loaded. The problem is that the display itself is yellow and will always be yellow. You can use the "Display Calibrator Assistant" to move the white point towards the blue end. I set mine to around 8000. But all that does is add an unnatural blue hue to the display instead of the yellow. You can never get back to the vivid colours of the LG screen. The display itself is broken and Apple doesn't care because they already have your two thousand dollars. I've gotten better quality with 200-dollar Acer displays.

Actions

More Like This

  • Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (164)

Legend

  • This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.