Skip navigation

iTunes automatic downloads restricted to one user per computer?

62669 Views 90 Replies Latest reply: Apr 13, 2014 5:09 AM by wappinghigh RSS Branched to a new discussion.
  • Laidles Calculating status...

    this is a joke.... i dont use iTunes match, or buy movies/tv shows...

     

    all i want to do is use my Apple ID in my user profile on my Mac to download purchases I have made from my iPhone or iPad... While allowing my girlfriend to do the same from her user profile on the same Mac.

     

    Should be hard to do.... *** Apple, you used to be cool.

  • Chris CA Level 9 Level 9 (73,330 points)

    Laidles wrote:

     

    all i want to do is use my Apple ID in my user profile on my Mac to download purchases I have made from my iPhone or iPad... While allowing my girlfriend to do the same from her user profile on the same Mac.

    Okay. Thisis very sinple to do.

    Plug in your iPhone, the iTunes menu File > Devices, select your device then Tranfer purchases.

  • GMLESQ Calculating status...

    So I called Apple support today, for the exact same situation. Was told that, in essence, only one of the two users of this iMac (my wife and I) could use iTunes every 90 days.  Contrary to what others have been told (and granted) here in this discussion, they were not willing to grant an exception to the Terms & Conditions (saying that it was impossible to do so.)

     

    This is completely unacceptable.  We paid over $2,000 for a new iMac, and basically, my wife and I have to choose which one of us gets to use iTunes from this computer.

     

    So glad I paid for iTunes Match service for the past 2 years...

     

    Oh, and by the way, any Apple web page that suggests that one computer can share multiple iTunes accounts is completely false.

  • Chris CA Level 9 Level 9 (73,330 points)

    GMLESQ wrote:

     

    So I called Apple support today, for the exact same situation. Was told that, in essence, only one of the two users of this iMac (my wife and I) could use iTunes every 90 days.

    This is completely false.

    I have three separate users with separate iTunes accounts & it works fine.

    As per teh title of this thread, the 90 days applies to donwlaoding past purchases, not simply "use iTunes" or the iTunes store or maiking purcahses in the iTunes store.

    All users can make purchases

     

    Oh, and by the way, any Apple web page that suggests that one computer can share multiple iTunes accounts is completely false.

    Except that it's not false.

    As per above, I have three iTunes accounts working happily together on the same computer (and the same ipad and the same iPhone). And it works fine for millions of other users.

  • GMLESQ Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Congratulations, Chris. I'm happy for you and the "millions" of other users who are able to use one computer to share multiple iTunes accounts. The irrefutable fact is this: my wife is locked out of her iTunes account and is unable to use it to download past purchases for 90 days. And since this is a new iMac, of course, all of her music constitues "past purchases."  The second fact is this: when I called Apple support today to get this corrected, they told me, in no uncertain terms, that upon expiration of the 90 days, she would be able to use iTunes on her account, but that I would be locked out for 90 days.

     

    The third irrefutable fact is this: We have spent literally thousands of dollars on Apple products, devices, and iTunes purchases.  We finally decided to switch from a PC to a Mac.  And to reward us for this decision, Apple has decided to lock us out of at least one of our accounts for 90 days.

  • Chris CA Level 9 Level 9 (73,330 points)

    GMLESQ wrote:

     

    The irrefutable fact is this: my wife is locked out of her iTunes account and is unable to use it to download past purchases for 90 days.

    She's not "locked out of  iTunes".

    She simply cannot download past purchases (which is not what you stated previously).

    In order to get some assistance from others, don't make sweeping generalizations when asking for help.


    And since this is a new iMac, of course,

    The most logical and simplest thing to do is simply migrate all user data (including iTunes purchases) from the previous computer or the most recent backup of that previous computer.

    This should be done for all users.

    Unless you don't want any of that previous data...

  • GMLESQ Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Yes, when she can open iTunes, but cannot download or play any music for a period of 90 days, I would say that she is "locked out of iTunes." Unless you just like to look at the album art for fun.

     

    And what if the previous computer either no longer exists, or does not contain all of the music because we were relying on the so-called iTunes in the Cloud selectively to "store" all of that music. Simply SOL?

     

    Finally, how do you account for the Apple support rep's statement today that only one of us will be able to download past purchases for 90 days at a time?  Do you find that to be an acceptable policy?

  • Chris CA Level 9 Level 9 (73,330 points)

    GMLESQ wrote:

     

    Yes, when she can open iTunes, but cannot download or play any music for a period of 90 days, I would say that she is "locked out of iTunes." Unless you just like to look at the album art for fun.

    She can play all the previous purchases she migrated from her old computer or the backup or transferred from her iPad/iPod/iPhone.

    Oops, Not there. Okay. Bummer.

    She can still make purchases from iTunes, she can use any music already in iTunes (such as yours) and use any music from other online stores or CD which were RIP'd.

     

    And what if the previous computer either no longer exists, or does not contain all of the music because we were relying on the so-called iTunes in the Cloud selectively to "store" all of that music. Simply SOL?

    What if? Does it exist or not?

     

    You did not maintain backup of any data on your old computer before you got rid of it?

    Okay.

    Perhaps you should be proactive & maintain regular backups of anything on your computer you deem important (or at least important enough to make several posts and phone calls to support)?

    Finally, how do you account for the Apple support rep's statement today that only one of us will be able to download past purchases for 90 days at a time

    How do I account for that statement???

    It is what it is. That's their policy.

     

    I don't like or agree with it.

    Suggestions here -> http://www.apple.com/feedback/

  • tasa Level 1 Level 1 (50 points)

    Chris CA, this fellow who is a new Apple computer user is flummoxed over this  ridiculous iTunes policy. Not everyone is a computer whiz, nor should they have to be! Why dump all over him?

     

    GNLESQ, take a deep breath, ignore rude responses, and read through past posts, in particular those by Topher1_2000  to find answers. Make sure you have automatic downloads turned off on your mac(s) so you don't get stuck in this mess in the future. And realize that long-time Apple devotees have been getting caught in this stupid mess because most  of us didn't know when the policy was put into place. It happened to me recently when I bought one of my kids an iPad and synced it to my MacBook Pro!

     

    In the meantime, if you have any ios devices you should turn off auto downloads on them as well. I was able to download past music purchases to my iPhone and 2 iPads during the block period, but not videos, for some odd reason.

     

    Any system can have glitches and all new equipment has a learning curve. File a formal written complaint and keep a copy of it. If more people did that, changes would, I believe, be made. I kind of understand why Apple is doing this, but its like dropping the atom bomb on a mouse. Just plain stupid.

     

    Also, you can still access a list of your purchases by signing into the iTunes Store, going to "My Account", and call up a list of your purchases. During my blocked period I took screen snaps of my entire list of past purchases, and now when I make a new purchase I keep a copy of the iTunes receipt that is mailed with each purchase. It's like buying anything - keep receipts to prove purchases. If you find something missing from Apple's record of your purchases, you will be more successful in retrieving it if you know the purchase date and order/item numbers. Sometimes items are no longer offered, so be sure to backup your purchases on an external drive if you can (I use a FireWire drive or this).

     

    Good luck with your new Apple products.

  • Chris CA Level 9 Level 9 (73,330 points)

    tasa wrote:

     

    Chris CA, this fellow who is a new Apple computer user is flummoxed over this  ridiculous iTunes policy. Not everyone is a computer whiz, nor should they have to be! Why dump all over him?

    Not "dumping" on him at all. He's is making inaccurate repsonses and simply trying to help him sort it out.

    Sorry if you viewed my post as "rude". It wasn't.

    File a formal written complaint and keep a copy of it. If more people did that, changes would, I believe, be made. I kind of understand why Apple is doing this, but its like dropping the atom bomb on a mouse. Just plain stupid.

    It is very likely done at the request of the labels, not because of Apple.

    Also, you can still access a list of your purchases by signing into the iTunes Store, going to "My Account", and call up a list of your purchases.

    This is not the issue.

    The issue is Apple does not allow redownloads of iTunes purchases from a different account for 90 days (likely because it is part of the contract with the labels to help "prevent piracy").

    Sometimes items are no longer offered, so be sure to backup your purchases on an external drive if you can (I use a FireWire drive or this).

    Yeah, that's what I suggested.

  • julesvt Calculating status...

    This is driving me nuts too. I am on a PC and other user is on a MAC. Any news as of today on this...from Apple Support? I'm also concerned this is effecting my Outlook calendar sync.

  • Chris CA Level 9 Level 9 (73,330 points)

    julesvt wrote:

     

    Any news as of today on this...from Apple Support?

    No.

     

    I'm also concerned this is effecting my Outlook calendar sync.

    It's not.

  • julesvt Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Thanks, Chris for your reply.

  • stripeton Calculating status...

    is this ever going to change? absolute rubbish im sick of apple

  • serkam Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Hi guys :-)

    LoL you are talking about sharing one computer between two different people and i've just got a weird statement from Apple support that if I have two accounts one in te US and another in Israel and if I've got a new iOS device I can't redownload purchaes on both accounts that listed on my name with my credit card. Sounds insane! And one more thing if you are US user and contacting Apple support outside the US they state that you are not elegible for any support even if you paid thounds of dollars for your contant and apps over last few years. It feels like this policy affecting people who actually do buy stuff and pay their money for being blocked of the contant they paid for, I am sorry Apple but I can't and will not understand your point with all this. If someone would like to download something without paying for it he or she will do that without even using iTunes.

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

  • Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (13)

Legend

  • This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.