Thank you Peter:
A restart would be a good idea. Yup, done that, no change.
Do you have Safari open, possibly with lots of tabs as well? Not simultaneously. Pages open by itself.
Also are you using TimeMachine and/or iCloud? I use Time Machine to archive; but I manually archive, keeping Time Machine off during my work time.
You say you have an external hard drive. What are you booted from and what are you saving to? Boot off internal. Saving to external.
That last question might be a clue. But I use that same proces for STP3, Motion4 and FCP7 and for FCP and STP have not noticed delays…but for Motion4 I have had similar long saves like Pages…even on small text corrections in Motion.
Scratch files are on the internal and permanent files are on the external.
What do you think Peter?
Message was edited by: Edward Flaherty
Possibly the external drive for reasons unknown.
Switch to saving on the internal drive and see if that improves matters.
You can also open Activity Monitor (in your Utilities folder) and watch what seems to be happening in the delays.
You didn't answer re iCloud which could be a suspect, it has the slowest connection.
Well, Peter, I moved my file saving onto the internal drive and saw no change in the five second or more change saving duration.
I watched the Activity Monitor during numerous saves, and noted that with only the Pages software running, the saves of even a single comma deletion used 100+% of CPU during the peak in the five second duration for the save.
Also noted that Pages without my current project open took about 40MB of real memory. The project file is 190MB. Yet the Activity Monitor for Pages records 70MB of real memory after I open the project file. Then it inflates to 260-270MB when I edit punctuation.
Anything you see there?
Is there something else I should be observing in Activity Monitor?
Are your images inline? If so select all content in the document and paste into a new blank one. Then save it. See if the new document is faster.
Images are all inline.
Followed your instruction, select all, paste into blank new doc, save as new doc, then adjust single instance of punctuation or spelling and save…still a five second min save with progress bar and 101% CPU usage at saving.
I think I must have something awkward in my formatting that kicks up cycles in the save process--what else could it be?
How large are your images in Mb or kb? Do you use Masking on the images? Are you going to print the stories on paper? Are you using a lot of different Styles?
It is probably the images that have to high resolution, more than you need for printing. I created a 62000 word Pages document and saved it and it only is 1 Mb. Best practise for images in Pages is to resize and crop images in a graphical application before adding them to Pages. Pages remember all data about the images even if you mask some of them.
Pages is also known to be somewhat slow when handling a lot of data.
Here is link on image resolution http://www.learn.columbia.edu/mcah2/pdf/training_resolution.pdf
How large are your images in Mb or kb? I have a total 50 images, one image per page in an appendix. I sized each image in Pshop at 1280x720. Each file is approx 500kb. The entire life of the document is online, for computer and tablet reading. Nothing sized for print. No masking, nothing fancy. Limited styles, trying to keep it simple.
So if I do the math, 50 images at 500kb yields 25MB, how the heck do I get a file of 190MB?
You must have some hidden data of some kind. I just found a 80 Mb file with lots of images, and it is just a little hesistant when scrolloing but not slow when saving a few small changes.
Do you have Dropbox? your file is to large for emailing and I would like to have a look at it, if you like. Using Dropbox would make it possible.
You have forced me to examine the history of my document more closely. I can track back previous versions to text only at 1MB. I am going to disassemble all graphics from the text in my current version and see if I still have a 1MB text file.
So, you gave me direction. Thank you. I will go on from here and let you know of the result. Then we can take it from there.
OK, here is what I found. My images had been added as tif files…so I cleaned that up and now my file with images is only 50MB.
However my saving of little punctuation changes still takes 5 seconds or more and generates a progress bar.
I went back in history to the point before any graphics were ever added and I still get long save taking 101% of CPU.
I am a bit perplexed on what to do. So I am just carrying on with my proofread, with regular saves and backups.
On the next story I will alertly follow my build up of the document and see where, if any, the saving delays start to appear.
Thanks to both Peter and fruhulda.