Currently Being ModeratedFeb 2, 2013 4:03 PM (in response to tbreilly13)
there is definitely an importing bug in itunes 11 which has led to movies I have imported not showing up in the Library.
Here's what happened:
1. I ripped an mp4 file and added to itunes - it showed up fine under the "Home Videos" tab under "Movies". (Although that in itself is annoying: it's a ripped TV show, not a personal home video, and confuses the fact since I had a pre-existing genre of "Home Movies" that were actually home movies i.e. that I shot myself. But I digress.)
2. I then ripped another mp4 and tried to add it. iTunes showed that it was importing (i.e. the "copying track" info showed, and then the actual physical file could be located in the finder in the correct location) but the track would not show in the library. Doing a text search would not show it. It simply wasnt' there.
3. I tried another mp4 file. Same thing. The only track showing in the library is the first file, but the added files are copied to the correct location. They just won't show in the library.
4. Restarting etc did not help.
5. Out of frustration, I deleted the first mp4 that I added i.e. the only one that showed in the library.
6. AS SOON AS I DELETED FROM THE ITUNES LIBRARY THE FIRST MP4 THAT I HAD ADDED, THE OTHER "INVISIBLE" ONES IMMEDIATELY APPEARED AND FUNCTIONED PROPERLY.
So there is clearly a bug here. Hope this helps somebody....
EDIT: Running OSX 10.8.2 and itunes 11.0.1 on a 2009 Mac Pro.
Currently Being ModeratedAug 28, 2013 6:08 AM (in response to tbreilly13)
Having just had to reload all my iTunes music onto a new (Windows 8) computer, I then found I could add more music by ripping a CD OK, but I could not add mp3 files using the file or folder add option (or dragging onto iTunes etc.)
I finally determined that iTunes 11 seems rather sensitive to any faults in the mp3 file (e.g. format errors, MPEG framing errors).
I was able to fix this using a simple downloaded open source program named mp3val which identifies errors and can also fix them. Worked a treat!
Thanks to bowlerboy on this thread where I saw the fix proposed: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2020936?threadID=2020936