Currently Being ModeratedSep 4, 2013 1:16 PM (in response to Steve Garman)
Have you done any speed tests on the raids? I'd try swapping the raids between machines to see if that's where the problem lies. Also have you installed and enabled distributed rendering using qmaster on both machines?
Currently Being ModeratedSep 6, 2013 10:10 AM (in response to Steve Garman)
Micheal has you looking in the right place. Compressor uses very little RAM while processing but is very dependent on disk speed for good performance.
Opening Activity Monitor while Compressor is encoding may reveal some useable info. I'd be looking at CPU usage and disk I/O speeds.
Currently Being ModeratedSep 7, 2013 5:56 AM (in response to Steve Garman)
How much free space is there on the Main Hard Disks ?
• Exactly the same ?
• one is 5Gb or less the other 100Gb or more
I never go less than 25Gb for work with interlaced SD-Video Quality
think that about 4-5 times more will work OK for full quality HD progressive - may be ?
What Processes are running in back ground ?
• Time Machine
• File Vault
NON on my Video Mac
else things that matters reg. speed and performance (for iMovie/iDVD - but are really general)
TO GET IT TO WORK SLIGHTLY FASTER
• Minimum of 25Gb free space on Start-Up hard disk
• No other programs running in BackGround e.g. Energy-Saver
• Don’t let HD spin down or be turned off (in Energy-Save)
• Move external/secondary hard disks that are not to be used to Trash - To be disconnected/turned off
• Goto Spotlight and set the rest of them under Integrity (not to be scanned)
• Set screen-saver to a folder without any photo - then make an active corner (up right for me) and set
pointer to this - turns on screen saver - to show that it has nothing to show
• No File Vault on - Important
• NO - TimeMachine - during iMovie/iDVD work either ! IMPORTANT
• Lot's of icons on DeskTop/Finder also slows down the Mac noticeably
• Start a new User-Account and log into this and iMovie get's faster too - if a project is in a hurry
• And let Mac run on Mains - not just on battery
Yours Bengt W