Thank you for using Apple Support Communities!
I have a few recommendations for this issue.
First I would reset the SMC on the computer.
Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)
- Shut down the computer.
- Unplug the computer's power cord.
- Wait fifteen seconds.
- Attach the computer's power cord.
- Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.
Next I would reset your PRAM:
About NVRAM and PRAM
- Shut down your Mac.
- Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
- Turn on the computer.
- Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
- Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
- Release the keys.
And I would also boot to safe mode after that as well and then test the issue.
Mac OS X: Starting up in Safe Mode
To start up into Safe Mode (to Safe Boot), do this:
- Be sure your Mac is shut down.
- Press the power button.
- Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold the Shift key. The Shift key should be held as soon as possible after the startup tone, but not before the tone.
- Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple icon and the progress indicator (looks like a spinning gear).