Skip navigation

Itunes does not maintain play count

1776 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Sep 17, 2013 11:54 PM by Kenichi Watanabe RSS
tclinton3m Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Aug 30, 2013 9:25 PM

Since I was forced to ?up?grade to 11.0.5 two weeks ago play counts on my shuffle have not updated.  Syncing apparently is brain-damaged and does not take into account overhead for the database in determining what songs could be copied to the iPod.

iPod shuffle, Windows 7, Shuffle G2
  • Kenichi Watanabe Level 7 Level 7 (30,005 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 2, 2013 11:45 PM (in response to tclinton3m)

    NOTE:  Play count only updates between iPod and your iTunes library IF you are using automatic syncing.  If you use the manual method to load the shuffle, the libraries on the computer and the iPod are separate (not "synced").

  • Kenichi Watanabe Level 7 Level 7 (30,005 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 3, 2013 8:44 PM (in response to tclinton3m)

    It wasn't meant to be an answer, just an FYI.  So whether it "cuts it" or not is irrelevant to solving your issue...

     

    You are asking about syncing play count from the shuffle back to the iTunes library, so that when you play songs on the shuffle, the number of times a song was played on the shuffle between syncs is synced back to the computer's iTunes library to update the song's play count there.  Is that correct?

     

    Also, this is a 2nd gen shuffle?

  • Kenichi Watanabe Level 7 Level 7 (30,005 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 6, 2013 1:04 PM (in response to tclinton3m)

    I did a test on my 2nd gen shuffle.  I did not pay close attention to playcount before, so I wanted to confirm the problem you are describing (or confirm that it works as expected).

     

    I removed all songs from the shuffle and added just one song back.  On the shuffle, I played that one song all the way through, one time.  In iTunes I looked for that song in my music library list, and noted the Plays number.  I connected the shuffle.  After the sync, playcount for that song in iTunes increased by one. 

     

    So it seems to work properly for me.  I use a Mac, with the latest version of iTunes. 

     

    It's possible there is data corruption on your shuffle, so it is not saving or syncing data properly.  If you have not already, you may want to try doing a Restore on the shuffle in iTunes.  Then, do the same test I did.  Add just one song, play it completely until it starts to play a second time, and see if the playcount in iTunes is updated (+1) after connecting the shuffle.

  • Kenichi Watanabe Level 7 Level 7 (30,005 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 13, 2013 11:12 PM (in response to tclinton3m)

    What are you talking about...  At best, my test shows that it works in the simplest scenario.  If it failed, it definitely confirms what you described, and that probably means there's a bug.  But it did not fail.  That's how testing is done.  You use the simpliest test conditions first. 

     

    What I wanted you to do is is duplicate my test.  Did you do a Restore on your shuffle, to see if data corruption is the cause, as I mentioned in the last reply?  If not, do a Restore.  Then, manually load ONE song.  Play that song on the shuffle until it starts to play a second time.  Note the Plays number for that song in your iTunes library. Connect the shuffle and see if the Plays number increases by 1.  If it passes that basic test, THEN use Autofill to fully load the shuffle, and see if it's still working properly now, or not.  If it fails that basic test, it means that "capacity" is not relevant; it doesn't even work with one song loaded.  And since you just did a Restore, there is no data corruption involved either.

     

    Since my shuffle is now fully loaded using Autofill, I tried another test just now.  I played my shuffle and skipped forward until I found a song that I definitely knew by name and artist.  I played that song all the way, until the next song started to play.  I found that song in my iTunes library and noted the Plays number.  When I connected the shuffle, the Plays number increased by 1.  Test passed.

  • Kenichi Watanabe Level 7 Level 7 (30,005 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 17, 2013 11:54 PM (in response to tclinton3m)

    If it passes the "only one song" test on you system, but if fails when the iPod is fully loaded using Autofill, I've got another thing you can try...

     

    Where you see the Autofill controls, click on the Settings button.  In the Autofill settings, there is a "slider bar" to Reserve space for disk use.  Set it to a value that is not zero, but a fairly large number, like around 100mb.  This prevents Autofill from using the total capacity of the shuffle for the loading with songs.

     

    Try the test again.  If playcount syncing works now (like it does with only one song loaded), keep repeating the test by making the "reserved" space smaller and smaller, until it fails again.  Set it just a little higher, so that it does not fail with minimal reserved space.  Use this setting as a work-around for your "play count not syncing" problem.

     

    You may want to report this bug using the Apple Product Feedback page. 

     

    http://www.apple.com/feedback/

     

    Be sure to provide all the details, such as shuffle model, computer OS, conditions for failure, etc.

Actions

More Like This

  • Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

  • This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.