Skip navigation

MacBook Pro Retina display burn-in?

1281950 Views 9,424 Replies Latest reply: Apr 21, 2014 9:01 PM by Raima328 RSS Branched to a new discussion.
  • Merch Visoiu Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 10, 2013 12:30 PM (in response to northtwilight)

    northtwilight wrote:

     

    Just to add to the above:

     

    Why you* have to calibrate in the first place, and why every monitor needs it, regardless of

     

     

    If I had bought this computer with this yellow display I would have returned it and certainly many people would have too. Having said that I did buy a Spyder4Elite and I took some photographs and I will post them when I'm prepared to do so.

  • Canuck1970 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 10, 2013 1:31 PM (in response to Merch Visoiu)

    Merch Visoiu wrote:

    "Having said that I did buy a Spyder4Elite and I took some photographs and I will post them when I'm prepared to do so."

     

    Thanks Merch! That would be great. We'll finally get to the bottom of this.

     

    As unreliable as photographs of displays are for depicting the true color on a display, assuming you use the same camera settings, camera position, ambient lighting conditions, and displayed image, the relative color between photographs of different color profiles should be noticeable (i.e. one will look more or less yellow than another).

     

    So, it would be good to see actually 3 photos: one photo with the default color profile that came with your rMBP, one photo with the best color profile that you were able to achieve manually, and one photo with the Spyder4 Pro color profile.

     

    BTW, I'm assuming the calibration process completed without error, correct?

     

    Anyway, I look forward to the results.

  • millerrh512 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 10, 2013 1:58 PM (in response to Canuck1970)

    I don't think that will work unless you use a custom, static pre-calibrated white point in your camera as your camera will change its white balance depending on what it sees to make things look neutral.

     

    Most high end DSLRs can do this white custom white point thing.  Best thing to see relative differences is take one side by side because then you are guaranteed to have the same settings and exposure.

  • Merch Visoiu Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 10, 2013 6:58 PM (in response to Canuck1970)

    Canuck1970 wrote:

     

    Thanks Merch! That would be great. We'll finally get to the bottom of this.

     

     

     

     

     

    I have two photographs to share concerning colour calibration. I've been asked by Canuck1970 and Marty to buy a colour calibrator to correct the appearance of my display. I bought a Datacolor Spyder4Elite on sale for CDN$199.

     

    I met up with a friend of mine who also has a 2012 15" Retina MacBook Pro. His display is also LSN154YL01001. His display wasn't yellow but he had a single stuck pixel, not a mura. His displays appears on the right and mine is on the left in both photographs (see Merch in the menu bar). I present these photographs with explanation but without analysis—you decide which one looks "better" and whether or not you should even have to go through this trouble in the first place.

     

    The first photograph is with both displays set to the default colour profile, Color LCD, and maximum brightness.

     

    http://merchv.com/Apple/IMG_2202.jpg

     

    Then I set mine to the calibration I had made prior. I brought my Spyder4Elite with me so I asked my friend to also calibrate his display.

     

    In the second photograph you can see that I set mine to [Spyder4] Apple Color LCD-1 which is the name of the profile I made after calibration. My friend on the right named his profile Calibrated.

     

    http://merchv.com/Apple/IMG_2200.jpg

     

    I leave it to you to make your own conclusions. I should have taken a shot with mine calibrated and his uncalibrated.

     

    If anyone wants the .icc colour calibration files I made you can download them here:

     

    http://merchv.com/Apple/Merch-Spyder4Elite-LSN154YL01001.zip

     

    There are 3 .icc files in there. Copy them to ~/Library/ColorSync/Profiles. I don't know if they will help anyone but you can try.

     

    The Spyder4Elite completed without producing an error.

  • serracol Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 10, 2013 7:40 PM (in response to Merch Visoiu)

    Dear Merch, thanks a lot for sharing and telling us your experience.

    In my opinion, Apple should callback all the mbpr and fix this differences of colors and tint among samsung and lg displays.

     

    They have change 3 displays and finally the entire machine, but Im still stuck with this horrible yellow tint from an LG display.

     

    I try your .icc files and it looks much better.

     

    Once again thanks a lot for sharing. This is the real purpose of this threat.

     

    Best regards from Colombia.


  • Barry Fisher Level 3 Level 3 (655 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 10, 2013 7:41 PM (in response to millerrh512)
    I don't think that will work unless you use a custom, static pre-calibrated white point in your camera as your camera will change its white balance depending on what it sees to make things look neutral.

     

     

    Its easy enough on most dslrs to choose the whitepoint, and you don't really have to calibrate it to see the kind of differences you are talking about.  Just take the camera off of auto-whitepoint and set it at 5500 or 6500.  It should work fine for this.

  • Barry Fisher Level 3 Level 3 (655 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 10, 2013 7:48 PM (in response to Merch Visoiu)

    Thats why I'm so happy with my LG. I've had for over a year now. slight IR from week 2 and it hasn't changed a bit or gotten any worse. I'm a semi-pro photographer and it has not been any problem.  The screen calibrates wonderfully. I was surprised to see this 1 1/2 year thread is still going on, with people still playing the lottery. Wow. 

  • Canuck1970 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 10, 2013 11:01 PM (in response to Merch Visoiu)

    Merch Visoiu wrote:

     

    Canuck1970 wrote:

     

    Thanks Merch! That would be great. We'll finally get to the bottom of this.

     

     

     

     

     

    I have two photographs to share concerning colour calibration. I've been asked by Canuck1970 and Marty to buy a colour calibrator to correct the appearance of my display. I bought a Datacolor Spyder4Elite on sale for CDN$199.

     

    I met up with a friend of mine who also has a 2012 15" Retina MacBook Pro. His display is also LSN154YL01001. His display wasn't yellow but he had a single stuck pixel, not a mura. His displays appears on the right and mine is on the left in both photographs (see Merch in the menu bar). I present these photographs with explanation but without analysis—you decide which one looks "better" and whether or not you should even have to go through this trouble in the first place.

     

    The first photograph is with both displays set to the default colour profile, Color LCD, and maximum brightness.

     

    http://merchv.com/Apple/IMG_2202.jpg

     

    Then I set mine to the calibration I had made prior. I brought my Spyder4Elite with me so I asked my friend to also calibrate his display.

     

    In the second photograph you can see that I set mine to [Spyder4] Apple Color LCD-1 which is the name of the profile I made after calibration. My friend on the right named his profile Calibrated.

     

    http://merchv.com/Apple/IMG_2200.jpg

     

    I leave it to you to make your own conclusions. I should have taken a shot with mine calibrated and his uncalibrated.

     

    If anyone wants the .icc colour calibration files I made you can download them here:

     

    http://merchv.com/Apple/Merch-Spyder4Elite-LSN154YL01001.zip

     

    There are 3 .icc files in there. Copy them to ~/Library/ColorSync/Profiles. I don't know if they will help anyone but you can try.

     

    The Spyder4Elite completed without producing an error.

     

    So, it looks like calibrating with a proper calibration tool fixed the problem. That's good to hear.

  • Merch Visoiu Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 11, 2013 12:53 AM (in response to Canuck1970)

    Canuck1970 wrote:

     

    So, it looks like calibrating with a proper calibration tool fixed the problem. That's good to hear.

     

    No, the calibration did not fix the problem. The problem is that I did not agree to buy this display. The display I agreed to buy was bright and vibrant and sharp and colourful. This display is muddy and dim and greenish and turns pink in direct sunlight. I would have returned this display. All the colour calibrator did was remove some yellow. It did not correct the problem with clarity or colour accuracy. Yes, my own eyes know better about colour accuracy than the Spyder4Elite. I don't care what it says. But I have 2 years of Apple Care left so the Genius Bar will be seeing me again for the 4th time soon.

  • mcsmik Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 11, 2013 4:56 AM (in response to Merch Visoiu)

    Ehh great. I've had this laptop for a little over a year. No problems until ghosting started on the LG screen. Got the replacement screen and this yellow friendlyness... Will be trying your profile after the time machine restore

  • Canuck1970 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 11, 2013 8:15 AM (in response to Merch Visoiu)

    Merch Visoiu wrote:

    "Yes, my own eyes know better about colour accuracy than the Spyder4Elite. I don't care what it says"

     

    I'm sure there are at least a few professional, or at least very knowledgable, photographers on this thread.

    I'm pretty confident that not one of them would trust your eyes, or anyone else's, over a Spyder4 Elite color calibrator. Not one. If the calibration is successful, that's it. Whether you like the resulting colors or not is irrelevant.

     

    As for your complaints about clarity, that's another matter.

     

    Quick question: any IR?

  • fishffishstinks Level 1 Level 1 (60 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 11, 2013 9:37 AM (in response to mittense)

    I put up with the burn-in for quite some time and I think it's only getting worse. I sometimes watch YouTube videos non-fullscreen then I'll switch to Facebook or something else and I can see the YouTube overlay pretty easily. It will remain unless I start watching a video in full screen for about 30 seconds, then it will go away. My warranty is up (I got it when they launched) but I'm wondering if there is any way I can get this replaced for very cheap and make sure they give me the Samsung screen?

  • northtwilight Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 11, 2013 12:07 PM (in response to fishffishstinks)

    Unfortunately it's a bit iffy unless you've bought AppleCare; once the warranty expires it does become much harder to convince Apple personnel to replace defects of this type.

     

    Your best bet is to document as much of the machine and its condition as possible - you need to know when it was made, which screen it has (likely LG), definitively how it got to this state, etc.

     

    Generally from what others have seen IR develops on LG screens and worsens over time; it also seems to get worse if the machine is running under heavy load for prolonged periods as well.

     

    There is a test that Apple Geniuses will make you do to verify whether IR appears -- according to Apple metrics, not you, so be forewarned about that too. I understand their need to quantify their results, but I disagree with its apparent bias in their favour.

     

    The company also appears to have set aside Samsung screens as the replacement for 15" displays, but I am not sure if this is 100% verified across the board.

  • gaborfromszigethalom Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 12, 2013 4:16 AM (in response to mittense)

    Our history is amazing :-)

     

    First act:

    September 2012: brand new rMBP buying

    September 2012: machine replacement (reason is not homogenous display)

    November 2012: first display replacement (reason is IR)

    November-December 2012: 4 further display replacement (Samsung displays have yellowish part of screen)

    January 2013: machine replacement

    January-May 2013: 4 machine replacement, at the end: refund (reasons: LG display with IR, or Samsung display with yellowish parts).

    May 2013: brand new rMBP buying with Samsung display. It is OK nowadays.

     

    Summary: we saw different top cases with different backlight. The displays were totally different among those... Every piece of rMBP had different problems.

     

    Second act:

    We decided we need one more rMBP. We hoped the promlems were solved.

    September 2013: brand new rMBP buying.

    September 2013: machine replacement after the buying, the reason is very poor display (LG, SJA-2)

    September 2013: machine replacement, the reason is very poor display (LG, SJA-2) and very week backlight keyboard.

    The current rMBP has LG display (SJA-2), has very good backlight keyboard, without IR (30 min. test). We were happy for one week, then we recognised that:

    http://kozmetikuskepzes.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/IMG_5221.jpg

    It seems producing failure. That is appear if there is a light source towards display.

     

    Plus the machine has click noise... We don't know which is the source (board, or SSD), but the noise is stronger and stronger.

     

     

    Summary: I offer to Apple to rise the quality. You have lot's of money, like a smaller country's GDP...

     

    My questions:

    1. Why, why, why?

    2. What can I do now????

  • Merch Visoiu Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 12, 2013 4:20 AM (in response to gaborfromszigethalom)

    gaborfromszigethalom wrote:

     

    2. What can I do now????

     

    Buy a Windows PC and get better quality at lower cost.

Actions

More Like This

  • Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (165)

Legend

  • This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.