Currently Being ModeratedJun 9, 2013 9:37 PM (in response to markgraveline)
SPOKE TOO SOON. Worked when I did it last night--enjoyed Netflix uninterrupted for about an hour. Turned it off and went to bed. This afternoon, turned it back on and ...same freakin' problem. Cannot connect to server. This time, i went straight to my MacBook and restored again but this time it didn't work.
I am SO disappointed. This was an anniversary gift for my spouse in late 2010, and it has been a pain from the start. Slow downloads, then can't connect to server REPEATEDLY. I defended Apple for all this time, replaced DSL modems, wireless routers and finally upgraded to uverse, because I insisted the network was the problem. WRONG.
This product is all promise with pitiful delivery.
Currently Being ModeratedSep 17, 2013 1:01 PM (in response to ConvertApple)
For a year I lived with setting a fake DNS which effectively disables ALL internet traffic to/from Apple-TV to prevent the annoying update message. But this also prevented AirPlaying to it. Here's how to prevent it at the router level (for my O2 Wireless box IV should be similar for other routers). Now I can use my Apple-TV normally but with no update prompts (or accidents):-
1) Login to http://o2wirelessbox.lan in web browser user=SuperUser pass=serial number on bottom of router
2) Go to Toolbox->Parental Control->Configure
3) Tick "Use Address Based Filter" and set "Action for Unknown Sites" = Allow then click Apply button
4) In box at bottom under "Web Site" type in:- appldnld.apple.com
leave Action=Block then click the Add Button
5) Also add:- mesu.apple.com
6) Also add:- appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite.net
7) Now go to your Apple-TV and go to Options->General->Update and click it, this should attempt to update your Apple-TV, Get ready to pull out the network cable just in case BUT it should give the message "Update not available at this time"
I'm unaware if blocking these addresses has any other side-effects, why there is not an Auto-Update=On/Off option is beyond me. As I paid for the box, I THOUGHT I owned it? apparently not!
Currently Being ModeratedOct 25, 2013 5:46 PM (in response to ConvertApple)
I wish I would have checked online first !
Ever since the ATV upgrade my Netflix and Hulu has worked like garbage !!!
My iPhone since last upgrade had all sort of problems as well ~
I think with Steve J went the last of the apple Utopia !
More Like This
- Retrieving data ...
- This solved my question - 10 points
- This helped me - 5 points