Thanks Carolyn. I should have stated that the plugin is gone - I did check. I backed up my Mountain Lion OSX prior to the change over to Mavericks but I can't find the plugin there either. Somehow the Mavericks upgrade removed the plug in and I can't find it anywhere - including online. Appreciate any other ideas you may have.
You are not alone. I have the same problem. So does "cm477". I've been following his original post and implementing ALL the suggestions others have made to him. As with his experience, I also have had no luck with any of the suggestions (as well as additional solutions I've tried myself).
See "cm477's" original post, dated Oct 25, 2013 11:15 AM in this thread, and all the replies at:-
158 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Oct 26, 2013 9:06 AM by cm477
My succesful workaround is to close down Safari and use Firefox. Opening pdf files within Firefox works as smoothly as it used to in Safari before the update to Safri 7.0 as part of OS X 10.9 (Mavericks).
(Along with other users, I'm also experiencing many additional problems with Safari 7.0 within Mavericks.)
It's like Safari doesn't know what to do with the mime properties, so it just showing it as ASCII text.
It's not even set to view PDFs , it's just supposed to save them (I've tried Turing this back on Anne off but no help).
If I log out and log in as guest, it works fine.
This happened on both my Macs after upgrading to Mavericks.