Hi, I just found a possible solution for this problem: my MacBook Pro freeze completely (without the spinning beach ball) after I turn off WiFi.
I have a MacBook Pro 17 inch late 2007 (MacBookPro3,1 - A1229), with a NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT 256 MB card, running OS X 10.9.
- I updated the OS from 10.8.4 to 10.8.5
- My Mac started freezing everytime after login, I don't remember if WiFi was on or off
- Reverted back 10.8.4, thank you Time Machine!
- Updated to OS X 10.9
- Everything was OK, but then I did some work in my home and I had to turn off the modem
- Modem was off, so I decided to turn off also the AirPort card on my MacBook Pro
- After a couple of seconds my computer completely stopped responding, trackpad and keyboard were useless, the UI froze
- After pressing the power button I managed to shutdown the Mac and then start it up again
- Now after the startup process I was stuck in loop: WiFi was still off and I had few seconds to login, wait for my account to load and turn on WiFi from the menubar icon; I failed countless times!
- In an attempt to slow down the Mac and earn some more seconds I did a PRAM reset and logged in with the Shift key pressed (after typing my password)
- I managed to turn WiFi on and looked immediatly for clues on Console logs:
|04/11/13 14:31:02,000||kernel||AirPort: Link Down on en1. Reason 8 (Disassociated because station leaving).|
|04/11/13 14:31:02,000||kernel||en1: BSSID changed to 90:72:40:16:09:df|
|04/11/13 14:31:02,000||kernel||2766.617367: setDISASSOC from ATH_INTERFACE_CLASS disconnectVap|
|04/11/13 14:31:02,000||kernel||2766.630567: setDISASSOCIATE ****STA SYNC DISASSOC SUCCESS|
|04/11/13 14:31:02,000||kernel||2766.630581: switchVap from 1 to 1|
|04/11/13 14:31:03,000||kernel||flow_divert_kctl_disconnect (0): disconnecting group 1|
|04/11/13 14:31:03,980||configd||network changed: v4(en1-:10.0.0.4) DNS- Proxy-|
|04/11/13 14:31:03,984||UserEventAgent||Captive: CNPluginHandler en1: Inactive|
|04/11/13 14:31:04,145||netbiosd||network_reachability_changed : network is not reachable, netbiosd is shutting down|
|04/11/13 14:31:12,814||awacsd||KV HTTP 0|
|04/11/13 14:31:17,886||awacsd||KV HTTP 0|
|04/11/13 14:31:27,959||awacsd||KV HTTP 0|
|04/11/13 14:31:28,344||Google Drive||BUG in libdispatch client: kevent[EVFILT_WRITE] delete: "No such file or directory" - 0x2|
|04/11/13 14:32:44,000||bootlog||BOOT_TIME 1383571964 0|
(Last line is me powering the Mac on, after a forced shutdown; for some reason some lines have been lost forever: before the last one, there were some more "awacsd ... KV HTTP 0")
This is what happen to my Mac when I turn off the AirPort card; I don't know if "Google Drive" or "libdispatch client" are the problem, but quitting Google Drive solved this madness.
Hope this helps.
Also on this forum:
Message was edited by: Tom.my