I have an article here that addresses that error message and can provide some next steps for you:
These errors are typically resolved by performing one or more of the steps listed below:
- Perform USB isolation troubleshooting, including trying a different USB port directly on the computer. See the advanced steps below for USB troubleshooting.
- Put a USB 2.0 hub between the device and the computer.
- Try a different Dock Connector or Lightning Connector to USB cable.
- Eliminate third-party security software conflicts.
- There may be third-party software installed that modifies your default packet size in Windows by inserting one or more TcpWindowSize entries into your registry. An incorrectly set default packet size can cause this error. Contact the software manufacturer that installed the packet-size modification for assistance. Or, follow this article by Microsoft to reset the packet size back to the default for Windows:How to reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).
- Connect your computer directly to your Internet source, bypassing any routers, hubs, or switches. You may need to restart your computer and modem to get online.
- Try to restore from another known-good computer and network.
Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. Have a good one!
Nonsense.None of those above mentioned measures worked. None at all ! The ominous error 14 persists and I am getting ****** ! You pay a lot of good money for an iPhone and then you get this message: an unknown error (14) occured. Unknown error ? Apple doesn't know the cause of this error ? Obviously they don't and obviously they don't give a ****. I had that problem with my iPhone 3G and I still have with iPhone 5. But this is the last iPhone
I bought, promised. I am done with this junk.
My wife's phone kept repeatedly giving error 14. I tried the "official" list of fixes that Apple likes to post, but no luck. I decided to try charging the phone overnight, then try it again. It worked! Note that I had to charge it via the wall outlet. The phone didn't seem to charge via any of the USB ports on any of our computers.