1 84 85 86 87 88 Previous Next 1,507 Replies Latest reply: Apr 27, 2014 7:58 PM by NRoitman Go to original post Branched to a new discussion.
  • 1,275. Re: Pages 5 features checklist
    robogobo Level 2 Level 2 (290 points)

    Peter, Who is we?  You are aware that you're not more than one person, right?  Perhaps this is the root of the problem.  You feel that you speak for all, and anything that hurts you, hurts others.  This is beginning to make sense now.  The religious fixation.  The grandiose soothsaying.  That dictatorial speech..  The Dr Jeckle/Mr Hyde three days off one day on pattern.  You actually believe you speak for all? 

     

    I know plenty, Peter.  Plenty more than you seem to recognize.  Try to brush me off as a fanboy with religious devotion to Apple.  It's not true.  That kind of Ad Hominem attack gives you no credibility.  It only shows your desperation.

     

    As I said not even ten minutes ago, nobody knows the inner workings of Apple.  I don't work for them, and your 10,000% thing isn't funny anymore.  It's pitiful that you need to hang on such a thing.  I never said I know about Apple's plans.  I do know what makes sense however.  And Apple's intentionally damaging users' work and hanging them out to dry does not make sense.  You say you never claimed certainty.  Ha!  what a load.  You are so sure you know what Apple's intentions are, in EVERY POST!!!  whatever, man.  You make no sense.

    PeterBreis0807 wrote:

     

    robo

     

    We don't know anything about you, except that you really know nothing.

     

    …delusionally you know the inner workings of Apple intimately, with absolute 10,000% certainty, …but don't work for them.

     

    Peter

  • 1,276. Re: Pages 5 features checklist
    PeterBreis0807 Level 7 Level 7 (29,640 points)

    More recently, he also took on the initiative to look into a feature-comparative list of "realistic options for pro users."

     

    Because there is nothing more "he" likes to do than paint a great big fat target on the hairs on his chest!

     

    I will give a quick summary of why Ms Office on Windows will be the obvious choice:

     

    1. Apple already provides the translation tools. More accurate to MsOffice than to Pages 5 in fact.

     

    2. MsWord actually does mostly what Pages '09 does, just less elegantly

     

    3. You need the Windows version of Word to get R to L and full language support

     

    4. Both Windows and Word have wide compatibility and will be developed as a paying ecosystem.

     

    5. It is out of the reach of Apple.

     

    Peter

  • 1,277. Re: Pages 5 features checklist
    PeterBreis0807 Level 7 Level 7 (29,640 points)

    I can safely say we is speaking for virtually every poster in this forum who is really Afraid, Uncertain and distressed with endless Doubt by what Apple has done.

     

    As for what you know, that comes with evidence, not blustering indignity.

     

    …and everytime I think we can't squeeze a few more laughs out of the 10,000% certainty, there it is, still as ludicrous as when you spouted it the first time, on top of all the other degrees of certainty you are concreted in.

     

    Peter

  • 1,278. Re: Pages 5 features checklist
    israfelli Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Fun Facts for Today:

     

    Pages garnered 6 5star reviews yesterday.

    Pages garnered 1 5star review yesterday.

    Pages garnered no 3star reviews yesterday.

    Pages garnered 12 2star reviews yesterday.

    Pages garnered 23 1star reviews yesterday.

     

    This has caused the average rating to drop from 2.095 stars to 2.092 stars.

     

    At this rate of change, Pages will hit an actual 1.5 star average in 197 days.

     

    However, I dont know if averages are rounded up, down, or truncated when assigning stars, so I don't know exactly when we will see the 1.5 stars.

  • 1,279. Re: Pages 5 features checklist
    robogobo Level 2 Level 2 (290 points)

    That's what I thought.  You speak for others.  Right.  You don't need evidence for your certain claims.  I do.  OK, gotcha.  "We" (you) are laughing at your 10,000% jokes.  We.  You need help.

  • 1,280. Re: Pages 5 features checklist
    Tristan Hubsch Level 2 Level 2 (210 points)

    PeterBreis0807 wrote:

     

    Seems the Apple execs didn't know the good features, to articulate them and nobody briefed them. It's all foreign to them, they use Office for their work.

     

    FWIW, this is the sad truth: do you picture Apple execs creating documents that need all of Pages '09 functionality? They pay people to supervise people who order people to do that. All execs of large corporations need are memos, and perhaps brainstorming/mindmapping apps. And, even if somewhare in the distant prehistory of their career they have done so, power corrupts. "Make it so!" is very addictive.

     

    By all means help me with chronicling escape routes, but I know the subject area well enough to know there is nothing that will do everything Pages '09 does, even in multiple applications and thanks to Apple there is nothing to neatly transition you.

     

    Certainly nothing in a reasonable timeline and has been pointed out, this is not just going to impact on mainly smaller buisnesses it is going to eat into time and money in a big way.

     

    Alas, yes: "whether translating the Pages '09 document into Pages '13, Quark or InDesign (or...) document, there will be blood, sweat and tears." For all those who need the pro features of Pages '09 (and Pages '13 is not an option), the only choice is to bite the bullet sooner or be forced to bite it later.

     

    I only just learnt that LibreOffice will fairly cleanly open old ClarisWorks and AppleWorks documents.

     

    THANK YOU!!

     

    Apple is once again driving people into the arms and security of Microsoft. My quick assessment* is that MsWord running on Windows is the closest replacement you are going to get to Pages '09. Sad isn't it?

     

    Being mainstream, produced by a company that sees the product as a cash cow and used by so many other users means it will serve you for the life of your work without too much disruption. Want to follow the actual recommendation of users who are in the know about what is good for the long term, do what the Apple employees and executives do. Use Microsoft Office.

     

    The cost of the software is nothing compared to the cost of losing your work or having to reconstruct it multiple times.

     

    A conspiracy theorist might wonder about this "...driving people..." I tend to agree with your recent line about Apple semi-consciously ditching the pro users of iWork '09 for the throves of new, paying customers of less-than-pro persuasion. Oh, well...

  • 1,281. Re: Pages 5 features checklist
    Tristan Hubsch Level 2 Level 2 (210 points)

    PeterBreis0807 wrote:


    I will give a quick summary of why Ms Office on Windows will be the obvious choice:

     

    1. Apple already provides the translation tools. More accurate to MsOffice than to Pages 5 in fact.

     

    2. MsWord actually does mostly what Pages '09 does, just less elegantly

     

    3. You need the Windows version of Word to get R to L and full language support

     

    4. Both Windows and Word have wide compatibility and will be developed as a paying ecosystem.

     

    5. It is out of the reach of Apple.

     

    Peter

     

    Ouch. (And, M$Word can split the editing window into two panes, so you can view/peruse two distant portions of your document while you edit.—I've been requesting that for Pages for a loooong time.)

  • 1,282. Re: Pages 5 features checklist
    PeterBreis0807 Level 7 Level 7 (29,640 points)

    Tristan

     

    I hate to say it but on a count of features, Word for Mac and Word for Windows do win. Pages '09 just was quicker at getting most things done and more legible and attractive, two things which were eviscerated.

     

    The clear and mostly logical Inspectors are what I miss most of all.

     

    I really notice it when I have to tell users how to navigate to a feature they can't find in Pages 5. You can't just give the path to the choice, you have to tell them how to line the ducks up in a row before the path even appears, somewhere illogic, then add in a couple of extra burrowings down to get to the options.

     

    A classic case of not leaving well enough alone.

     

    Peter

  • 1,283. Re: Pages 5 features checklist
    israfelli Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    M$Word can split the editing window into two panes, so you can view/peruse two distant portions of your document while you edit.—I've been requesting that for Pages for a loooong time.

    I've also been requesting that for a long time. But I guess at this point I'd just be happy if they put back the stuff they took away.

     

    -Israfelli

     

    "Yo mama uses Pages 5"

  • 1,284. Re: Pages 5 features checklist
    Dalavia Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    I haven't contributed to this discussion since about page 37 (I think), but I thought Israfelli's 7+7 point summation of the situation was masterly - concise, accurate and perceptive.

     

    The question that keeps nagging in my mind is this - given the stated goal of merging the file formats of Pages in iOS7 and OSX, why couldn't the file format already used for OSX be adapted for iOS rather than vice versa, as seems to be happening?

     

    I seem to recall that when Steve Jobs announced the first iPhone, he proudly said that it was using the Mac OS in a mobile form, and even pointed to Safari as evidence of that.  If iOS and OSX had a common root, why couldn't Pages 4.3, with all its great features, have been the basis of the common app?

     

    I am still using Pages 4.3, and unless Pages 5 introduces similar serious DTP functions (which is the reason I use Pages), I'll continue to use Pages 4.3 while ever I have a functioning Mac that will run Mavericks, or whatever the final version of OSX is that will enable Pages 4.3 to function.

     

    The first OSX update that disables Pages 4.3 will be the one when I stop updating to new versions of OSX - unless of course Apple fulfils my dream - which is to use Pages 4.3 as the basis of a new, even better DTP app.

     

    And I am saying that as a continuous, unbroken, loyal Mac user since 1989.

  • 1,285. Re: Pages 5 features checklist
    PeterBreis0807 Level 7 Level 7 (29,640 points)

    israfelli wrote:

     

     

    "Yo mama uses Pages 5"

     

    ROTFL!

  • 1,286. Re: Pages 5 features checklist
    Tristan Hubsch Level 2 Level 2 (210 points)

    PeterBreis0807 wrote:

    israfelli wrote:

    "Yo mama uses Pages 5"

    ROTFL!

     

    Yup! That sums it up.

  • 1,287. Re: Pages 5 features checklist
    Tristan Hubsch Level 2 Level 2 (210 points)

    Dalavia wrote:

     

    The question that keeps nagging in my mind is this - given the stated goal of merging the file formats of Pages in iOS7 and OSX, why couldn't the file format already used for OSX be adapted for iOS rather than vice versa, as seems to be happening?

     

    Actually, the file format story is more complicated; see http://www.macworld.com/article/2063353/how-to-work-with-iworks-new-file-formats .html, even though it still does not answer your question.

  • 1,288. Re: Pages 5 features checklist
    robogobo Level 2 Level 2 (290 points)

    That's a very well written article, balanced and level headed. Dan is a fine writer. He did a great job of pointing out the history and logic behind the very necessary transition to a single file format.

     

    Btw, that apple support doc was never taken down - lauren j just had the link wrong. The original link was http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6049

     

    Sorry if that bursts anybody's hate bubble.

  • 1,289. Re: Pages 5 features checklist
    Edward Cross Level 1 Level 1 (45 points)

    Here is what Apple said regarding Pages, you have to be wearing rose colored glasses to see this as anything to cheer about:

    In rewriting these applications, some features from iWork ’09 were not available for the initial release. We plan to reintroduce some of these features in the next few releases and will continue to add brand new features on an ongoing basis.

    Some features in upcoming releases in the next 6 months

    Pages

    • Customize toolbar
    • Vertical ruler
    • Improved alignment guides
    • Improved object placement
    • Import of cells with images
    • Improved word counts
    • Keyboard shortcuts for styles
    • Manage pages and sections from the thumbnail view

     

    Notice 4 of these are "improvements" of existing features, not a re-introduction of missing features. That leaves only 4 re-introductions of missing features: Customized toolbar, Vertical ruler, Keyboard shortcut for styles and manage pages and sections from the thumbnail view.

     

    This is what they say is their plan that they are willing to tell frustrated consumers. Absolutely pathetic!

1 84 85 86 87 88 Previous Next