Thank you for visiting Apple Support Communities.
Here are a couple resources I would recommend going through when experiencing error -50.
These errors are typically resolved by performing one or more of the steps listed below:
- Perform USB isolation troubleshooting, including trying a different USB port directly on the computer. See the advanced steps below for USB troubleshooting.
- Put a USB 2.0 hub between the device and the computer.
- Try a different Dock Connector or Lightning Connector to USB cable.
- Eliminate third-party security software conflicts.
- There may be third-party software installed that modifies your default packet size in Windows by inserting one or more TcpWindowSize entries into your registry. An incorrectly set default packet size can cause this error. Contact the software manufacturer that installed the packet-size modification for assistance. Or, follow this article by Microsoft to reset the packet size back to the default for Windows:How to reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).
- Connect your computer directly to your Internet source, bypassing any routers, hubs, or switches. You may need to restart your computer and modem to get online.
- Try to restore from another known-good computer and network.
Knowing that it was a usb issue helped. Looking at all ports and connections I noticed that the Time Casple was blinking yellow. Went into it preferences and found a firmware update waiting. Did that and then everything was fine. Guess I better move Time Casple where I can see the light. Odd fix to me…but it worked. thanks again.