Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

Security Update 003 intel Problems

13402 Views 62 Replies Latest reply: Jun 1, 2006 2:25 PM by riggstfl RSS
  • riggstfl Calculating status...
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 23, 2006 7:25 AM (in response to cpaust)
    Do you have any adobe products on your computer (Version Cue, illustrator, Photoshop, etc.)?

    If you do have version cue it could be the issue. Adobe Acrobat was another issue but thats only if you tried to make a PDF.

    If you dont have any of the programs..then it must be something in your login items. Try clearing them and see what happens.

    If all else fails. Try archive and install Mac OS X back onto your computer. I know its a pain, but it will probably work for sure. The process took about a hr for me to reinstall.

    Hope this helps.
    Mac Mini Intel Core Duo, Mac OS X (10.4.6), 1.66 ghz - 1GB Ram
  • Blue Charvel Calculating status...
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 23, 2006 7:28 AM (in response to MacBook Pro JAB42)
    I had the whole Login freeze happen, booted into Safe Mode, deleted versionCue, blah blah blah. Booted fine...

    ...then came along the Acrobat problem. Because I make PDF's from InDesign for a living (among other things, obviously a monkey could do just that), I had to get Acrobat working again. Unfortunately I did not realize they had since folded security update 003 into the OSX Combo 10.4.6 installer so that hosed me again. Before I found that out, I did a big fat Erase and Install back to 10.4.5 from my MBP Install disc. Ran all software updates sans 10.4.6 and all is well.

    This would probably work fine if you do an Archive and Install as well, just stay away from that ***** combo update...
    MacBook Pro 2.16GHz, Mac OS X (10.4.6), 2GB RAM, 100GB 7200 RPM HD
  • cpaust Calculating status...
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 23, 2006 8:30 AM (in response to riggstfl)
    I have no adobe products (haven't had a chance to install them since I got this new MBP) and I tried deleting any prefs to adobe that might have been transferred from my previous powerbook. Also tried deleting all recent system/pref changes made at the time of the update (after backe up). Unfortunately I can't access all my hard drive even in fire wire mode so I can't undo the recent modifications- also I can't get the safe boot up to work no matter what I do. Have now resorted to arhive and intstall. Agree that it is amazing that apple released this update without even the most basic beta testing.
    In response to other issues re MBP - have had no whines/wheezes or overheats (a few airport network probs after sleep mode) - have been very happy with it otherwise. Hope I can get it to work!!
    Mac OS X (10.4.6)
  • riggstfl Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 23, 2006 8:51 AM (in response to cpaust)
    I had the same airport network problems after sleep mode. It is fine tho...all you have to do is go and set the airport to automatic and it will pick up a signal..guess its a glitch after the safe boot.
    Mac Mini Intel Core Duo, Mac OS X (10.4.6), 1.66 ghz - 1GB Ram
  • Alan Levine Level 1 Level 1 (25 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 23, 2006 6:25 PM (in response to MacBook Pro JAB42)
    I have had a similar but different issue. The last Security Update I did was 5/15 (v1.0), and today I did the Firmware update. No problems there.

    but I started to install a fresh copy of CS2, and I almost unchecked Version Cue since most of my work is PS only. It got through disk one okay, but when I inserted disk 2, it spun a while, the fan blew... and nothing happened. Anything I clicked did not respond.

    So I forced a reboot. Same thing. I inserted my install disk, rebooted form it, ran the Disk Utilities and it fixed an “Illegal Name” red line under “Checking Catalog”. Fixed that. I thought.

    Reboot again. Nada. Froze city.

    Tried to boot again with my Disk Warrior, but had managed to put in a another, non system disk, so it booted as normal. Rats, I’d be doing it again.

    But wait a minute, the mouse and icons are responding! It is alive!?

    And it was worked all afternoon. I think I have shreds of the CS2 install on board, and now I will dig through the tips to un-do.

    But *** is Apple and Adobe on responding to this? All I see is a bunch of us guessing wildly. Pffffft.
    MacBookPro, Mac OS X (10.4.6)
  • klavars Calculating status...
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 24, 2006 1:08 AM (in response to Alan Levine)
    Apple tells me it is not THEIR update that is faulty, but rather Adobe's software that isn't working properly. Adobe tells me pretty much the same thing, that their software is fine and it is Apple's problem. Neat, huh? I pressed the AppleCare guy today reminding him that their computer is a worthless calculator without functioning software, but he held his ground and repeated the party line.
    MacBookPro 15", Mac OS X (10.4.6)
  • riggstfl Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 24, 2006 6:34 AM (in response to klavars)
    HAHAH! Yea, I figured with the new intel chips they do not want to admit that they are having issues. When I was on the phone with applecare I was asked him, "Are there a lot of people calling up with this issue? It seems to be a pretty big deal on the discussion board and some other forums I have seen? Is Apple going to do anything about it?" and he simply replied "this doesnt seem to be a big issue among our customers".

    Either it is BS or maybe a lot of people dont have the certain apps to trip up with the security updates such as Adobe CS2 or some of the other apps mentioned on here.

    A fellow colleague and apple user told me.."Do you realize that only Intel based comps are having the issue and not the PPC users. Do you think Intel in Macs will make Mac's and PC's equal and crash and freeze? Maybe Microsoft and Intel have quietly planned this from the very start to try to kill the up and coming apple from being so popular!!"

    A very interesting theroy...I wonder..........
    Mac Mini Intel Core Duo, Mac OS X (10.4.6), 1.66 ghz - 1GB Ram
  • Blue Charvel Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 24, 2006 6:39 AM (in response to riggstfl)
    HAHAH! Yea, I figured with the new intel chips they
    do not want to admit that they are having issues.
    When I was on the phone with applecare I was asked
    him, "Are there a lot of people calling up with this
    issue? It seems to be a pretty big deal on the
    discussion board and some other forums I have seen?
    Is Apple going to do anything about it?" and he
    simply replied "this doesnt seem to be a big issue
    among our customers".


    hehe, I got the same thing from AppleCare...
    MacBook Pro 2.16GHz, Mac OS X (10.4.5), 2GB RAM, 100GB 7200 RPM HD
  • markkemperman Calculating status...
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 24, 2006 6:08 PM (in response to Alan Levine)
    Boy, I am so glad it just isn't me having this problem.

    InDesign, Illustrator or Acrobat freeze when printing to PDF (Acrobat just hangs upon start up), and when I reboot, my Mac freezes at the login dialog box. The one constant in it all (after several arxhive and reinstalls) has been this security patch.

    However, Distiller works, so I can still do the PDF thing via postscript (which I'm preferring, anyway).

    I agree with an earlier post - what is Apple and Adobe doing about it? Must I BootCamp to Windows to run the software properly there (there's some irony in THAT!)?

    iMac (Intel Core Duo 2.0GHz)   Mac OS X (10.4.6)  
    2GB RAM | 250MB 7200-rpm HDD | 20" Cinema Display
  • Taphonomist Calculating status...
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 24, 2006 8:46 PM (in response to markkemperman)
    Now apparent solutions have been found (even if I have to relinquish Acrobat) - what is the feeling about downlaoding FUTURE security or other updates from Apple. Will we run the risk of other programs not working.
    I moved from PC to Mac to try and avoid these problems - and find the same frustrations.
    MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.6)
  • Blue Charvel Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 25, 2006 3:24 AM (in response to Taphonomist)
    As you can see by by my sig, I've retrograded back to 10.4.5, allowing me to use CS2 (sans VersionCue which I don't use anyway) without a problem. In the future I'll do what I should have done this time and wait until it's been around for a week or two and I've read this forum and MacFixIt.com extensively. I wouldn't write off Mac for being like PC's just yet. The processor switch is pretty major and Adobe has always stuck to their guns about not going Universal Binary until the next CS release. Knowing both of those things should have made me extra cautious, but sometimes I like to live on the edge...

    Overall (and yes I have stated this several times in various threads) I'm very happy with my MBP and I wouldn't go back to my PowerBook or switch to PC's for my graphic design apps if you paid me.

    For the record, I am no Mac/Apple zealot ignoring any and all problems while reading from the book of Jobs. I use both platforms for the applications that best suit their strengths. I add that last part because there seem to be a lot of sad little puppies posting of late saying anyone who sticks up for Apple is spouting the party line blindly. I have zero product loyalty, I'm all about "what have you done for me lately?".
    MacBook Pro 2.16GHz, Mac OS X (10.4.5), 2GB RAM, 100GB 7200 RPM HD
  • controller2k Level 2 Level 2 (155 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 31, 2006 11:16 AM (in response to Blue Charvel)
    Just today in software update, Apple released QuickTime 7.1.1 which resolves boot problems with third-party products.

    I have no time to test now, but this sounds like exactly the problem we are having.
    MBP 15" 2.0/256/2GB/7200, iMac Intel 20" & 17", Mac OS X (10.4.6)
  • Taphonomist Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 31, 2006 1:14 PM (in response to Blue Charvel)
    G'Day Blue,
    Thanks for that, will plod on and see what transpires. At the moment (thanks to my local Mac dealer) my MBP is fully functional - but I look at the iWeb update with trepidation - has anyone downloaded and is it a killer - or safe???
    MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.6)
  • riggstfl Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 31, 2006 1:22 PM (in response to Taphonomist)
    i have downloaded the iWeb update and I am still functional.

    i think it is safe to say that iWeb is not a killer. lol.

    I am hesitant to DL the rest of the stuff on my software update which is 10.4.6 (intel) and Quicktime 7.1.
    Mac Mini Intel Core Duo, Mac OS X (10.4.6), 1.66 ghz - 1GB Ram
  • Blue Charvel Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 1, 2006 4:34 AM (in response to riggstfl)
    iWeb is probably okay... but I'm still waiting a bit...

    I'm a little gunshy after the whole Security Update debacle, that was a weekend I could have found better things to do. I'm going to keep checking MacFixit.com and based on the feedback there and how much spare time I have I'll probably at least do the iWeb and maybe even the QT but I'm staying away from 10.4.6/Security Update indefinitely.
    MacBook Pro 2.16GHz, Mac OS X (10.4.5), 2GB RAM, 100GB 7200 RPM HD

Actions

More Like This

  • Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

  • This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.