Skip navigation

Is cover flow gone in iTunes 11?

196697 Views 1,162 Replies Latest reply: Mar 2, 2014 8:48 AM by sigina RSS Branched to a new discussion.
  • Kenan Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 20, 2013 1:09 PM (in response to abombaci)

    I'm now trying iTunes 11 more than a week....  not even the loss of cover flow, even more... everything is more than worse on iTunes 11. To name ist worse is more than whitwashing!

     

    Updates of Apps, handling with single pieces of music, workflows... everything is made for the worse.

     

    <Edited by Host>

  • Mark Block Level 2 Level 2 (270 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 20, 2013 1:09 PM (in response to Kenan)

    Kenan wrote:

     

    ... Updates of Apps, handling with single pieces of music, workflows... everything is made for the worse....

    Really? Assuming you've done the little View and preference things everyone recommends to make iTunes 11 more like 10, there's not a lot of difference in terms of workflow. Could you elaborate?

     

    Update of apps: at least as good, although I think iTunes 11 is better. Handling of individual music tracks: the same. Workflow: not much different for me. Appearance: slightly better in iTunes 11, in that Apple gave us back the colored icons in the Sidebar that went missing in iTunes 10. The Expanded View in Albums is great -- much better. The layout and handling of Podcasts: better in 11.

     

    Most of the legitimate criticisms apply only to iTunes 11 in its confusing default configuration, but it takes only a minute to set it up more like iTunes 10. That's not to say it couldn't be much better -- the iTunes team screwed up a great opportunity with iTunes 11 -- but my main criticism of it remains the loss of Cover Flow.

     

    I was at a meeting of audiophiles last weekend; most of them were Mac users. Nobody had a problem with iTunes 11, and nobody but me used Cover Flow. Hmmmm. They didn't know what they had missed.

  • Kenan Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 20, 2013 1:27 PM (in response to Mark Block)

    Really? Try to change a bunch of text at iTues11. If you're in an album you'll find the forward backward button. If you have marked several track beeing not in one album you won't find these buttons. There are lot's of thing like this. Extremly uncomfotable!

    If an Song is unfolded you can edit. If it's not unfolded you can't. That fold/unfold makes you clicking more than in iTunes 10. All in all extremly uncomfortable!

     

    Same applies for apps. May the download engine behind be better. But the Workflow from user interface... extremly uncomfortable. It takes you more click to do the same thing as in iTunes10.

     

    My critisim is beneath cover flow, the complete workflow in iTunes11. It takes you more click. It's interrupts you in your workflow. The fold/unfold feature of the cover is a bad solution. Would be better to have splited window below the cover so you can edit them comfortable (as done below cover flow).

     

    I will row back again to iTunes 10.7 more than 1000% sure!

  • Mark Block Level 2 Level 2 (270 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 20, 2013 2:16 PM (in response to Kenan)

    Kenan, why can't you change text the same way in iTunes 11 as iTunes 10? When you say "a Song is unfolded," I don't know what you mean. You mention that "fold/unfold" makes for lots of clicking, but I'm not sure what you're trying to do. I edit the metadata tags of single songs and groups of songs exactly the same way in iTunes 11 as iTunes 10. If you're in the Songs view it works the same, either with Command-I or by editing directly in the metadata fields. I find that the layout of all the possible Vews -- Songs, Albums, Artists, etc. -- in a row on the top of the window makes navigation easy and more logical.

     

    Your "forward backward button" is unclear to me also. Do you mean the arrows on the upper right to skip to the previous or next album after you've double-clicked on an album? If so, that's unnecessary in iTunes 11 because a single click brings up the Expanded view and leaves your window full of nearby albums -- still visible -- unlike in iTunes 11, which opens the album in its own window. This is a huge improvement.

  • Kenan Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 20, 2013 3:03 PM (in response to Mark Block)

    mark doesn't work for me. Whatever you mean it's extremly unlogical!

    I don't like to change views, just to work (unlike in iTunes 10)

  • Kenan Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 20, 2013 3:05 PM (in response to Kenan)

    nothing compares to iTunes 10.7 - the best iTunes ever !

  • steven bryant Calculating status...
    Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 21, 2013 12:12 PM (in response to abombaci)

    Apple removed cover flow due to a law suit by Mirror Worlds over infringement of it's patents.

    June 24, 2013, the Supreme Court of the United States declined to hear the appeal by Mirror Worlds, thereby letting stand the district court ruling that Apple didn't infringe on any patents.(source wiki)

    Therefore there is now NO REASON why Apple cannot re-introduce cover flow. In fact as Apple paid money for Cover Flow from Steel Skies, they would be crazy to junk it now that there is no legal challenge to it's use.

  • Chris CA Level 9 Level 9 (73,485 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 21, 2013 4:37 PM (in response to steven bryant)

    steven bryant wrote:

     

    Apple removed cover flow due to a law suit by Mirror Worlds over infringement of it's patents.

    Really?

    Why didn't you tell us you worked for Apple legal and engineering/software development?

    and that you have the insode scop?

     

     

    Therefore there is now NO REASON why Apple cannot re-introduce cover flow.

    You mean there is no reason in regards to Mirror Worlds patents.

  • DRH255 Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 21, 2013 6:29 PM (in response to steven bryant)

    finally!!!  I was one of the original people to comment on this topic and after all this time someone actually has a reason???  That is the problem with Apple....if they would just tell their customers what is going on it would end many of the frustrations some of us have been feeling.  Had they said they were removing coverflow due to a lawsuit...I would've understood that...instead they just take it away and say nothing.  Same with their stupid ios updates that cause issues...just tell us the issues the updates may cause, or are causing and when approx. they will come out with a fix, and I think people will be satisfied with that.  Instead they say nothing...which is the worst style of customer service ever.

  • Mark Block Level 2 Level 2 (270 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 21, 2013 7:10 PM (in response to DRH255)

    DRH255 wrote:

     

    .... Instead they say nothing...which is the worst style of customer service ever.

    As has been discussed over and over -- and as recently as the previous page in this thread -- Apple did give a reason for dropping Cover Flow: that "too few users" used it. I don't buy that rationale, but Apple was not shy about divulging it to the big-name tech reviewers.

     

    Also discussed over and over on this thread is the bogus issue of the patent case, which was settled in Apple's favor long before iTunes 11 was released.

     

    Why was it removed, really? It's fun to guess, but who knows? Maybe it was just a mistake made at senior management levels. Because iTunes functions as both a store and a hugely bloated app, it's something of a camel -- a horse designed by a committee. The creative vision is probably shared among several key people, people who didn't use Cover Flow. Maybe the people on the iTunes team who liked Cover Flow left Apple --Louie Mantia in particular. Mantia was the head visual designer on iTunes, but he left Apple about 15 months before iTunes 11 was released. Probably not a coincidence.

     

    http://9to5mac.com/2011/08/17/famed-visual-interface-designer-leaves-apple-for-s quare/

  • Chris CA Level 9 Level 9 (73,485 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 21, 2013 9:00 PM (in response to DRH255)

    DRH255 wrote:

     

    finally!!!  I was one of the original people to comment on this topic and after all this time someone actually has a reason???

    No.

    Had they said they were removing coverflow due to a lawsuit...

    Why would Apple say that? That's not why it was removed.

  • Comboi Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 22, 2013 1:36 AM (in response to Chris CA)

    Finally caved in and updated to ITunes 11, Mavericks and iOS7.  Then re-synched my ITouch, original version, 6 years old and working perfectly, now it doesn't work at all, total lock out and won't reformat!

  • JLynn1981 Calculating status...
    Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 23, 2013 6:42 PM (in response to Comboi)

    I miss cover flow.  I also miss having the window in the corner of itunes where I could just drag and drop album art.  Now when I want to update album art I have to click through a bunch of menus, it's horribly inefficient.  The alternative is leaving tons of songs with missing artwork with the tacky blank music note art on the iphone, it's so ugly. 

     

    BRING BACK COVER FLOW AND MAKE UPDATING ALBUM ART SIMPLER PLEASE!

  • Mark Block Level 2 Level 2 (270 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 23, 2013 7:59 PM (in response to JLynn1981)

    JLynn1981 wrote:

     

    I miss cover flow.  I also miss having the window in the corner of itunes where I could just drag and drop album art. ...

    I've been using a free app called Album Artwork Assistant to automate the process of finding album covers and adding the art to my songs. It's brilliant ... and it stopped working with the Mavericks update. I really didn't care that iTunes 11 made adding artwork more cumbersome because Album Artwork Assistant made it so easy. Now that I moved to Mavericks, I care.

  • Chris CA Level 9 Level 9 (73,485 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 23, 2013 11:52 PM (in response to JLynn1981)

    JLynn1981 wrote:

    BRING BACK COVER FLOW AND MAKE UPDATING ALBUM ART SIMPLER PLEASE!

    Suggestions here -> http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Actions

More Like This

  • Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (12)

Legend

  • This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.