Currently Being ModeratedDec 19, 2013 5:52 AM (in response to raimattern)
What we're saying is that is not happening.
It's quite clear that Apple are claiming that an iOS 7 device, when updating its own apps or software will utilise the caching service. But this is what is NOT occurring. When OSX is doing the downloading, it uses Caching, but iOS 7 does not. At least, not for me and it appears some others and maybe many others who haven't thought to check.
It cannot be anything to do with location etc since both my Mac and iOS devices are all in the same location (within feet of each other), use the same Apple ID and the same (Mac) App Store and Apple agrees they are all in the UK. It cannot be a location problem.
There appears to a problem with iOS 7. It should "just work", but sadly, it "just doesn't".
Currently Being ModeratedDec 21, 2013 6:30 AM (in response to UKenGB)
Same problem for me. The caching is working for all my OSX devices but not for my IOS 7 devices (2 iPhone and 5 iPad). I'm located in China and all my devices are conneced to the same French Apple Store account...
I have bought a Mac Mini especially for caching, due to poor internet speed connection......
Searching for help !
Currently Being ModeratedDec 21, 2013 7:59 AM (in response to UKenGB)
Can confirm your statement. I wasn't having any problems while updating my ios6 devices. Now the Cache Serice is pretty useless (with iOS devices). But I'm not sure if iOS7 is the root cause . Maybe the 10.9.1 update ?
Currently Being ModeratedDec 21, 2013 9:35 AM (in response to raimattern)
iOS 7 is not responsible for the failure of Cache Service.
Server Service Logs:
Cannot lock /Library/Server/Caching/Logs/AssetCache.pid: Permission denied; is Caching Server already running?
Unable to save preferences to /Library/Server/Caching/Config/Config.plist
Since I changed with chmod the permissions of these two files, the Cache Service does work again as supposed.
Know, this is a quick & dirty solution.
sudo touch AssetCache.pid
Message was edited by: raimattern
Currently Being ModeratedDec 22, 2013 11:01 AM (in response to raimattern)
A point about raimattern's post of the Caching Service server panel, although it shows iOS Apps being cached, it makes no reference to whether those were downloaded by OSX (iTunes) or iOS. I do NOT have a problem with the former, only the latter. If I use iTunes to update all my iOS apps, everything goes through the Caching Server. But if I try to update an app using the actual iOS device, the download is directly to the iOS device and NOT via the server.
I can see this by watching the traffic through my router as it tells me to where the data is being downloaded, so if it's being downloaded by the Server, or my Mac or an iOS device, it is 100% clear which it is. If an iOS device is downloading updates, ALL the data goes to the iOS device and the server gets NOTHING. This is wrong. When OSX downloads updates, all the data is actually being downloaded by the Server. As I said, it's quite clear what is happening (and what is not).
The issue with permissions raises 2 questions:-
What are the permissions that were apparently wrong and what did you change them to that seemed to make it work?
Why are the permissions only a problem for iOS 7 devices trying to update whereas when OSX downloads updates the permissions are apparently NOT a problem?
Currently Being ModeratedDec 31, 2013 11:07 PM (in response to UKenGB)
Interestingly, my iOS devices are now using the caching server. I'm not sure whats changed, but the bytes used now increases when I download an app on an iOS device (tewted on iPhone 5s running 7.1b2). Running "sudo serveradmin fullstatus caching | grep CacheDetails" before and after shows an increase in bytes used for IOS Apps.
Currently Being ModeratedJan 1, 2014 12:20 AM (in response to Simon Comeau Maretl)
@Simon Comeau Maretl: Caching Server 2 is for iOS 7 and above. See http://www.yesdevnull.net/2013/10/os-x-mavericks-server-setting-up-caching-serve r/.
Currently Being ModeratedJan 1, 2014 1:56 AM (in response to t.pawelek)
As for you others, I am now seeing that iOS 7 is caching correctly.
I can be 100% certain that this was NOT occurring but now IS. By watching the traffic through my router, previously I could see that when downloading something appropriate on my Mac, all the data streaming from the Internet was going to the server, but when doing the same thing on any iOS device, the data was going to the device and NOT the server, i.e. caching was NOT working.
Just tried again a download to my iPad and all the data went to the server, so caching is definitley now working correctly to iOS. There is no ambiguity here as I can see exactly to which device the data is being downloaded.
There's been no upgrades to iOS 7, but has there not been an update to Server.app? Whatever, I have changed nothing within my network so it must have been a problem within Apple's software somewhere about which they've been rather quiet and has now been fixed without any admission of guilt. Hey, I'm grateful it's been fixed, but the perpetrators (i.e. Apple) really should put up their hands and say sorry.
Currently Being ModeratedFeb 21, 2014 4:27 AM (in response to UKenGB)
Just a heads up, for future googlers, mine didn't work due to the hardware serial number being over 12 characters because our Xserves are running VMWare ESXi hosting Mavericks Server and Windows 2012 server. ESXi gives a 18 character serial number to the OS X VMs which stops cachings erver working. The solution was to update from ESXi 5.1 to 5.5 which pruned the serials to 12 characters. If you server has had a new motehrboard and so a blank serial, you may also have the same problem as me.
More Like This
- Retrieving data ...
- This solved my question - 10 points
- This helped me - 5 points