1 25 26 27 28 29 Previous Next 582 Replies Latest reply: Jul 9, 2014 4:51 PM by megeres Go to original post Branched to a new discussion.
  • 390. Re: Wifi greyed out on iphone 4s with ios 7
    zelous Level 3 Level 3 (685 points)

    hey everyone. heres a simple solution.

     

    back up and restore. this is the last troubleshooting step by applecare before they replace ur device. u need to test as new though to be sure.

     

    update ur itunes on ur computer if it isnt already. help>check for updates

     

    click on ur device in the itunes when it pops up after u plug it in. that will bring u to the summary page of the device. then hit back up now. this will create a back up of ur entire phone and make sure u dont lose anything.

     

    then hit 'restore iphone' on that same page. this will replace ur software with an entirely new software package that is updated and will not have the same glitches as ur last software if it had any.

     

    test the issue as new. in order to do full troubleshooting u will need to set it up as new instead of restoring ur itunes back up back onto it. test out ur wifi for a bit until u are either confident that it wont go out again (in which case u will need to restore ur itunes back up back onto it and test issue again) or u find that the wifi is still messed up.

     

    if wifi is still greyed out after a restore iphone and set up as new then that means one thing and one thing only. u need to get it replaced. ur hardware is misfunctioning and no amount of tricks are gonna fix it at that point. complaining on here will not fix it. freezing it and heating it or whatever is not gonna fix it for long if at all.

     

    if wifi is ok after the restore as new and u restore ur itunes back up back onto it and the wifi goes out again then u need to restart over on the phone. restore as new again and this time dont restore ur back up back onto it because it just brought the issue back. u will want to import ur pics and vids to a computer so u can save them, u can sync them back to a restored phone as well. u will also want to save ur contacts, reminders, calendars by syncing them with icloud, u can sync them back down to the restore iphone. u will lose application data with this process but u can redownload any past purchases from the stores simply by going to the purchased section of them.

     

    THIS IS THE BOTTOM LINE FOR THIS ISSUE. IF U DO NOT FOLLOW THE STEPS IN THIS POST THEN YOU ARE NOT TRYING TO FIX YOUR ISSUE AND YOU ARE JUST TRYING TO COMPLAIN.

     

    if you want to complain about this issue then u should go here to be heard.

     

    apple.com/feedback

  • 391. Re: Wifi greyed out on iphone 4s with ios 7
    aauger0722 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    FYI none of what you posted about works. You will continue to have the same issues.

     

    I know this because after 5 replacement iPhone 4s there is nothing you can do to fix it. I followed every single thing you listed, everything that has been listed prior to this & guess what 4 months later still without wifi. I am covered under apple care and all they can do is continue giving me a replacement that does the same thing no matter which way you try to fix it.

     

    People are complaining b/c there isn't a fix to it, unless you pay to upgrade it OR fix the wifi chip yourself. The amount spent on an iPhone and then unfortunately add the fact that in a short amount of time it becomes obsolete can **** anyone off. I myself have learned to deal. I have backed my phone up to the computer & left it at that until I can upgrade. It ***** bottom line.

  • 392. Re: Wifi greyed out on iphone 4s with ios 7
    TJBUSMC1973 Level 5 Level 5 (5,185 points)

    So, you've had SIX iPhone 5 units, all with the 'same' issue?

    Then you're doing something wrong, or have incredibly bad luck.

  • 393. Re: Wifi greyed out on iphone 4s with ios 7
    zelous Level 3 Level 3 (685 points)

    there are still plenty of iphone 4s's that have wifi working. keep replacing it until u get one that works. either that or get a different model. theres no other solution then that if u have already tried to restore it using itunes and set it up as new. either way this forum is not for people who complain. that will help noone here.

     

    apple.com/feedback is where people need to go for that.

  • 394. Re: Wifi greyed out on iphone 4s with ios 7
    Bethune23 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    I'm another with exactly the same problem. In the UK you can claim for a replacement under Consumer Law even if the phone is out of warranty. I don't know if there is something similar in the states. Apple need to replace any faulty 4s handsets with this issue or face losing hundreds if not thousands of customers.

  • 395. Re: Wifi greyed out on iphone 4s with ios 7
    Bijfkens-NL Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    searched the whole internet, and could not find anything. here in the netherlands no one does it an since i was sick and tired of this suggestions on boards that do not work, i tried podmod. they fixed the iphone within one day and wifi is working again perfectly. so my suggestion is not to beef up the iphone 4s with some self repair tryings, but to get it repaired. otherwise, go to applestore or apple reseller and let them sell you another unit. podmod repair iphone 4s wifi worked for me.

  • 396. Re: Wifi greyed out on iphone 4s with ios 7
    AndreaJes Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Applestore offers a replacement iPhone with payment, because there is not a repair possible. The statement was, that the issue is a mainboard failure and all the can do is replace the unit for 200 Euro. The board recommendation to get it fixed by podmod is a good one, because it works and iPhone 4s shows WIFI again. It is not a Wi-Fi chip permanent damage, like posted here. I mean, 29 Euro permanent fix that makes iPhone 4s usable again is pretty good solution.

  • 397. Re: Wifi greyed out on iphone 4s with ios 7
    TJBUSMC1973 Level 5 Level 5 (5,185 points)

    Yes, a repair is possible.  But instead of making a customer wait an inordinate amount of time, they simply swap out the phone. It's the same cost to the customer, retains the warranty on the device (or extends it to 90-days), and is faster.

  • 398. Re: Wifi greyed out on iphone 4s with ios 7
    vaportrails2002 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    TJBUSMC1973 wrote:

     

    So, you've had SIX iPhone 5 units, all with the 'same' issue?

    Then you're doing something wrong, or have incredibly bad luck.

    Just like all these people, here is the thread for the iphone 5 wifi issues https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4322714 (1296061 Views 4,603 Replies 307 Pages)

     

    They also must have "bad luck"

  • 399. Re: Wifi greyed out on iphone 4s with ios 7
    GokerK Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    I had the same problem today and now my iphone does not connect to wifi network.i am totally disappointed and so down.i took care of that **** phone as if i take care of my eye.now what?it suddenly stopped working because of apple's defect which was not caused by me?i dont know what to do for now but i think that i will never ever buy another apple again.i do not earn money to throw it away.

  • 400. Re: Wifi greyed out on iphone 4s with ios 7
    TJBUSMC1973 Level 5 Level 5 (5,185 points)

    vaportrails2002 wrote:

     

    TJBUSMC1973 wrote:

     

    So, you've had SIX iPhone 5 units, all with the 'same' issue?

    Then you're doing something wrong, or have incredibly bad luck.

    Just like all these people, here is the thread for the iphone 5 wifi issues https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4322714 (1296061 Views 4,603 Replies 307 Pages)

     

    They also must have "bad luck"

     

    Did they all also have five replacements?  If not, then your point is invalid.

     

    And that thread is for a totally different situation.  Their wi-fi isn't greyed out.  It shows as active and connects to a wi-fi network.  It just doesn't send/receive any other data.

     

    Totally different issue, but it's fun watching you grasp at straws.

  • 401. Re: Wifi greyed out on iphone 4s with ios 7
    vaportrails2002 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    TJBUSMC1973 wrote:

     

    vaportrails2002 wrote:

     

    TJBUSMC1973 wrote:

     

    So, you've had SIX iPhone 5 units, all with the 'same' issue?

    Then you're doing something wrong, or have incredibly bad luck.

    Just like all these people, here is the thread for the iphone 5 wifi issues https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4322714 (1296061 Views 4,603 Replies 307 Pages)

     

    They also must have "bad luck"

     

    Did they all also have five replacements?  If not, then your point is invalid.

     

    And that thread is for a totally different situation.  Their wi-fi isn't greyed out.  It shows as active and connects to a wi-fi network.  It just doesn't send/receive any other data.

     

    Totally different issue, but it's fun watching you grasp at straws.

    Im not grasping at anything, just proving a point about the all mighty Apple!

     

    Anyway, if you read his original post, all his replacements were 4s's, not 5's, so actually your point was invalid!

     

    Why do you only answer or reply to certain posts that people reply to you with?

  • 402. Re: Wifi greyed out on iphone 4s with ios 7
    TJBUSMC1973 Level 5 Level 5 (5,185 points)

    Ah, so I mistyped the model. Doesn't change the fact that six consecutive identical models (4, 4S, 5, 5C, 5S, whatever) are extremely unlikely to have the SAME hardware problem.  And since it cannot be the iOS (because, again, if it was, then ALL iPhones would have the problem, and that's NOT the case), the logical assumption is that there is some form of user error.

     

    And why are you worried about where & when I choose to reply?  How is that even relevant?

     

    Do you have a technical question?  My personal habits are not relevant to this discussion, nor are they up for debate.

  • 403. Re: Wifi greyed out on iphone 4s with ios 7
    Wait4itBAM Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Gee, you're the unhelpful one!

    You persist on accusing the users of some wrong doing when this is clearly Apple's fault! How can a company sell a phone so expensive when the possibility of internal failure is so high?! This is the iPhone 4 antennagate all over again: they pretended it was the user's fault, because of the way the handled their device. Then why, pray tell, they changed the design of the antenna on the 4s, if this wasn't a conception default?!

    It's the exact same problem with the 4s's wifi, there is clearly a conception default (maybe not on all the 4s, maybe just a part of the overall production was faulty when they soldered the wifi chip, we'll never know!) because some of the users reported a faulty iPhone 4S JUST when they got it from Apple.

    So, please, please, so pretending you know it all, because, news flash, no you don't!

    And don't bother coming up with a reply, because I won't even bother read it. You've been trolling this post for too long and, as I've resolved my wifi problem, I won't read it anymore.

    I've stated what worked for me (and so far, it's still working) so yeah, have fun trolling, you won't annoy me anymore.

  • 404. Re: Wifi greyed out on iphone 4s with ios 7
    TJBUSMC1973 Level 5 Level 5 (5,185 points)

    The possibility is not 'so high'.  A very small percentage of devices are affected.  Prove your claim that the possibility is 'so high'.  Give me numbers.  How many devices are defective compared to how many devices sold?  Do the math, then we'll talk about if the percentage is 'high'.

     

    Apple never said it was the user's 'fault'.  What they said was, for optimal performanace, hold the phone a certain way. They even offered free accessories to address the issue.

     

    I never said I 'know it all'.  But I do know quite about this issue, and how to resolve, as well as the most logical root cause, based on decades of electronics maintenance and service experience.  Basic troubleshooting logic is the same, no matter where you go or what device is involved.

     

    I don't see your previous posts where you've stated what worked for you, but it's good that it is working.  That's all that matters.

     

    So, thanks for your input.  Have a great day.

1 25 26 27 28 29 Previous Next