This discussion is archived
702 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Jun 1, 2006 7:22 AM by pisscubes
Currently Being ModeratedMay 31, 2006 3:54 PM (in response to Glen F.)From my perspective, I think the 15.4 MBP would be your best bet. Not sure on the burning time on the 4X compared to 8X but if you do a lot of burning then maybe it's worth getting the 17 inch. Other than that, for general use my 15.4 serves me very well.macbook pro, Mac OS X (10.4.6)
Currently Being ModeratedMay 31, 2006 4:14 PM (in response to Glen F.)i have the 17inch and people keep on saying its too big..but i dont really feel like it is...
Also dont forget the 15 inch MBP also doesnt have that extra 6pin firewire port it only has the 4pinMBP 17", Windows XP Pro, AMD X2 4800+
Currently Being ModeratedMay 31, 2006 4:15 PM (in response to Glen F.)thanks for the reply I will be giving this some deep thought and hopefully I will be satisfied with which everone I purchase.Home built PC , soon to have a Mac, Windows XP Pro
Currently Being ModeratedMay 31, 2006 4:29 PM (in response to Glen F.)Just a question, but if you are only going to use it for web, email, word processing and MP3's, why don't you save yourself some cash and get the MacBook?
Currently Being ModeratedMay 31, 2006 7:54 PM (in response to Glen F.)Since my techie knowledge is pretty limited, I have a question of the yonah vs merom. I hear that yonah is 32 bit and merom is 64 bit. More seems better but if all I do, on average, is use my future MBP for citrix programs (electronic medical records, specifically), websurfing, occasional picture editing with iphoto (cause I'm too cheap to buy better software that I can't count as a tax deduction), preparing powerpoint presentations, and i guess now making little imovies (and I mean very short clips) since I'll have a dvd burner. Phew! run on sentence....so, would having merom make much difference? And yeah, a macbook would probably serve me well, but I want the 15" screen. I plan on keeping it for 4 years +/- a year depending on how my needs change after residency. I don't do gaming except for weak pogo games every once in a while (cause I need breaks from reading about diseases).
Is it really worth it for me to wait? at first I waited cause I lacked the cash. Now I have my tax refund to help defray the cost. Oh and then I had a immediate need because my powerbook screen started separating due to trauma I inflicted on it when I was having wireless issues. I found a cheap fix so the urgency from the standpoint of need went away.
At this point, I would only wait because I intend on having it for a long time and I want the best I can get. Will having a yonah now make it difficult to get software, use future OSX versions, or otherwise difficult to function? I imagine that at least Leopard will work on the current systems otherwise all the folks complaining of "obsolete" machines after the last mini update would burn apple headquarters to the ground. And it really would make no sense to sell machines that can't use software being made ready for release. I actually decided against even going to tiger on this computer because I figured I'd wait for my new computer.
Why torture myself by waiting if it won't make a lick o difference?667 Powerbook G4, Mac OS X (10.3.9), MBP, you will be mine soon!
Currently Being ModeratedMay 31, 2006 9:34 PM (in response to pisscubes)cause I will also from time to time use it for video editing on the fly from my vid camera.
Home built PC , soon to have a Mac Windows XP ProHome built PC , soon to have a Mac, Windows XP Pro
Currently Being ModeratedJun 1, 2006 7:22 AM (in response to Glen F.)The Macbook can do video editing. However, if you are doing it on a pro level, I'd certainly say the MBP is what you need.