Skip navigation

10.8.4 Applied, Outlook Search: No Results

10621 Views 50 Replies Latest reply: Jan 10, 2014 11:56 AM by SolonaSanDiego RSS
  • davewardny Calculating status...
    Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 27, 2013 11:13 AM (in response to abnospam)

    THANK GOD SOMEONE FIGURED THIS OUT. I've had this issue ever since updating on both my Macs, and I've tried everything under the sun. I also moved my MUD identity 2-3 years ago when I first started using Dropbox to sync my Documents folder across multiple machines. I tried re-indexing, new identities, totally un-installing Office, and anything else I found. I even tried calling Microsoft, only to wait 2 hours on hold to be told this was a billable issue since I use Exchange. Once I moved my MUD back to the Documents folder, told Dropbox not to sync the MUD folder, and re-indexed... ZING! Searching is back.

     

    I can't tell you how much this hurt my productivity. I'm so glad to have it back.

  • mobidutch Calculating status...
    Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 27, 2013 11:23 AM (in response to davewardny)

    Telling Dropbox not to sync the MUD folder is tricky though. The Dropbox client assumes that the cloud folder is the master, so when you set up selective sync and unselect the MUD folder, the Dropbox client will try to remove the local MUD folder. I wish the Dropbox client could be told that it should assume to be in "backup" mode, meaning the local file system is the master.

     

    Anyway....solution would be to:

    - First make sure MUD folder is in Documents

    - Make a copy of MUD folder to a non-Dropbox synced location

    - Set up selective sync and unselect MUD folder...Dropbox client will try to delete MUD folder

    - If MUD folder was deleted, move the copied MUD folder back into Documents

    Done.

  • wakker Calculating status...
    Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 16, 2013 6:56 AM (in response to abnospam)

    Dear All,

     

    I thought I would share a fix for a related issue here just in case someone has a similar issue to mine.

     

    I recently ran into the same "Outlook wont search" issue and tried the re-indexing tricks mentioned to no avail.

    Initialy some emails would be searched but not all of them them.

     

    After my first attempt to re-index only my contacts became visible during outlook searches but not the mail messages.

     

    Eventually I figured out what was happening.

     

    I use several VM's on my Mac and somehow my Outlook file associations on my Outlook message files changed for some weird reason to an application on one of the VM.

     

    This obviously did not affect Outlook itself or older indexed items but no new emails would be indexed and thus come up in the search. After the first re-index attempt none of the older indexed items would search either.

     

    Once I set the program association for the message files back to Outlook all of my messages became searchable again.

     

    Hope this helps someone!

     

    Cheers

     

    PS:

    Your messages are stored here for Office 2011:

    \Documents\Microsoft User Data\Office 2011 Identities\Main Identity\Data Records\Messages\

  • Weekdaysailor Calculating status...
    Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 30, 2013 4:43 PM (in response to wakker)

    I'm not sure I agree with previous comments that this is "fixed". I can confirm that moving MUD back to /Documents and forcing a re-index works.

     

    I noticed on my machine that Microsoft Lync has put a new MUD in /Documents (not sure I was quit out of everything when I moved it..) so wondering if that may be part of the reason a re-install of Office corrects some of the issues.

     

    Also remember a note in one of the threads about creating a symlink from /Documents to /Library/Preferences - had anyone tried that? That's my next step.

  • userfromhongkong Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 26, 2013 6:27 AM (in response to abnospam)

    i cant believe i actually figured out the solution to a major bug.

     

    i tried everythign - permissions, reindexing, etc etc.

     

    then i noticed the problem: the file association on emails was wrong. i loaded outlook on 2 machines and it defaults to trying to open email messages in NOTES.

     

    So the solution for me was really simple: find an email in your User Data folder, and go to Get Info, and change "Open With" to Outlook - and apply the change to all emails.

     

    Amazingly everythign startted to work instantly and all the problems described here magically went away. Hard to believe its just my issue    

  • SolonaSanDiego Calculating status...
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 10, 2014 11:56 AM (in response to userfromhongkong)

    This worked perfectly.  After selecting an email from the Messages folder inside by Main Identity:Data Records (I chose an email from today), I went to Get Info and reselected Outlook (it showed Outlook as the application to use to open the file, but the icon was not correct) and applied it to all files of that type.  Worked like a charm!

1 2 3 4 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

  • Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

  • This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.