Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.
For more information on this, take a look at:
iPhone and iPod touch: Screen does not rotate
- If the issue persists, restart your iOS device by holding the On/Off button until "slide to power off" appears. Slide to power off your device. When it is off, press the On/Off button to turn it back on.
- If the screen remains locked, back up and restore your device
iPhone: Hardware troubleshooting
- Remember that photos, webpages, and applications will not change viewing-orientation modes when iPhone is lying flat. Hold iPhone vertically to switch between portrait and landscape modes or vice versa.
- Verify that rotation lock is not on.
- To test, open the Calculator application while holding the iPhone vertically (portrait mode). The standard calculator should appear. Then rotate the iPhone to a horizontal position (landscape mode), and the scientific calculator should appear.
Note: Certain apps and features may support only one mode, landscape or portrait. For example, the Videos app plays video in landscape mode, and Reminders uses only portrait mode. Not all applications on iPhone use landscape mode.
I had the same thing happen to me with my iPhone 5s with latest iOs 7. Phone was stuck in landscape mode for any app that wasn't already locked in a certain orientation. I tried closing all apps and reopening them and tried restarting several times. Nothing worked. I decided that the accelerometer must be physically broken so I decided to test it with the "compass" app. At first, it was all messed up, but then I went to the "level" app which is part of the compass. After turning the phone on it's sides several times, the accelerometer seemed to re-calibrate itself and now everything seems to work fine. Try that.
Wow, Thank You! I have an iPhone5 w/ iOS7. Your recallibration method worked for me.
I could tell I was having the same issues around calibration. Apps that should recognize the rotation were not working as they should, they were stuck in landscape layout. But, until I read you suggestion on fixing it, I had no idea how to recalibrate. I tried wiping settings and everything, but had no luck. This was such an easy solution to something that made me desire watching a high speed impact of my phone and the nearest hard surface.
Brilliant!! Thank you.
Your recalibration method on the "level-indicator" worked a treat!
By tapping the centre of the screen to zero when flat, on horizontal and on vertical did the trick!
Thanks again as my daughters birthday and the camera was only useful in one orientation..... You saved the day!