Skip navigation

MacBook Pro 2011 17" hard freeze

754619 Views 2,238 Replies Latest reply: Apr 12, 2014 12:17 PM by CatFisce RSS Branched to a new discussion.
  • zenxavier Calculating status...
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 20, 2014 6:16 AM (in response to Rensoom)

    Hi Guys,



    There are a lot of us facing very similar issues and this seems more like a manufacturing defect than something that happens during usage. Lets get the word out and get things a bit more organized and stand up for our rights. No matter what equipment you are using, it should atleast serve the worth for 3 years minimum.


    I have had a dell laptop and it fell off, broke one hinge and its been three years after that and it still working for the last 7 years. While another friend of my mine is using a laptop, for Compaq laptop for the last 6 years. Its still works and she still uses it for illustrator and photoshop.


    My Mac Book Pro 2011 late model, which I purchased in 2012 May, is supposedly not working cause of an internal hardware issue which in my analysis is mostly due to the graphic card failure or worse. Considering this laptop is less than 2 years old, this is very bad investment for me now. Its not even worked that much.


    My model number is C02HD1QSDV7L.


    I have put up a petition at ... if we can get some good numbers to sign here.. it would get some momentum going.. alternatively also check out and see the rage.


    here is the link to the site... pro-2011-graphics-card-logic-board

  • yuhan Calculating status...
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 20, 2014 10:09 PM (in response to zenxavier)

    Screen Shot 2014-01-20 at 11.40.44 PM.png

  • Side_Step_Society Level 2 Level 2 (310 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 20, 2014 10:14 PM (in response to yuhan)

    yuhan wrote:



    I'm not sure how your picture is relevant, yuhan...

  • Timuchan Calculating status...
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 20, 2014 11:08 PM (in response to zenxavier)

    Early 2011 model. Last 4 digits of my serial: DF8V.


    If Apple cared about their customers as they (falsely?) purport, they would have recalled these laptops already, instead of asking us to pay $700 to fix their faulty products.

    Instead, they hope it'll just blow over, or wait for as long as possible to do something about it until so many unsatisfied customers complain that they simply can't ignore it.


    Hundreds of pages of unsatisfied customers!


    Something needs to be done.

  • Side_Step_Society Level 2 Level 2 (310 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 20, 2014 11:22 PM (in response to Timuchan)

    As much as I'd like to see Apple take care of this, there's more to it than just them saying, "Okay, recall, here we go."


    They're a business, and with any business, there's all kinds of hoops and red tape to jump through with things like this. Since it all (likely) funnels back to AMD, there's probably a lot of waiting around for them to top it off.


    This thread is a drop in the bucket. Even if EVERY post in this thread was a different person, that still only puts us at about 2200 units. Which I can only imagine is enough to raise interest, but not enough for everyone at Apple to say, "Drop everything, recall these."


    I don't deny there's an issue here, but I'd be willing to bet that it gets rectified by Apple. And to those that have paid already, I'm sure you'll have the option to be reimbursed.


    That being said, if Apple just decided to put out a recall, who's to say you're not getting an equally faulty board back? Frankly, if/when this issue happens to me, I'd rather have them have some idea of what's going on instead of just blindly installing a new logic board and having it happen again a year down the road. I'm sure most would agree.

  • samoo Level 1 Level 1 (30 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 21, 2014 6:04 PM (in response to samoo)

    Latest snafu updated...


    Purchased Mountain Lion 10.8 from the App Store. Downloaded with no problem. When the OS begins its install, I get a hard freeze with 17 minutes left of the install. Tried 5 more times to D/L and install, had AppleCare ask me to wipe my drive clean and start over...did that and the machine still gets hung up at anywhere from 19 to 17 minutes left ...The machine is going back to the shop...

    I did back up with Superduper yesterday before trying to upgrade my OS so hoping that restoring wont be nightmarish...


    PS, I had the machine working almost flawlessly for the past few weeks but that driving need to upgrade OS took over my brain...ouch...

  • Haroldo Portella Calculating status...
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 21, 2014 6:20 PM (in response to Rensoom)

    Hi there,

    I'm one more with the same problem. My macbook pro late 2011 it´s defenetly with the problesm with the GPU AMD as everybody. Apple don´t assume this problem as an fabrication issue, and I have to pay for a new logic board.

    What we can do to change this situation?

  • Alberto7777 Calculating status...
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 23, 2014 7:36 AM (in response to Rensoom)

    I have same problem! Macbook pro late 2011 serial number: C02FG69YDF91 and GPU AMD Radeon 6750M

  • gfunk99 Calculating status...
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 23, 2014 6:04 PM (in response to Rensoom)

    Similar experience. I bought a 'top of the line' 15" MBP 20 months ago. I was using it for DJing and video editing. The problems of freezing grey screens, pixelation, and horrid-looking graphics freezes became more frequent and several times outright embarrasing as it happened when i was performing. Good promotion for Apple!  

    The problems became more consistent until now, it's completely 'dead'. Won't get beyond pixelated grey screen at all. I tried all the procedures and while some of them worked for a short period, nothing solved the problem, including manually switching between the graphics cards. Either intensive programs or light ones would be in operation when the problem happened. Now it's permanent. Apple's 'genius' response with inappropriate smiles: your machine is fine (all the hardware apparently works) but you need to buy another motherboard for 5000$ (HK). It's guaranteed for 90 days. Yeah right. Why would I take another risk with a product that cost me $25,000 and failed within 2 years causing harm to my job. I'm back using my 8 year PC with Windows XP with a dead MBP in my bedroom.

    The question is Apple: are all these dead MBP's going to hospital or do the unfortunate owners need to buy a coffin and forget about using Apple products in the future??

  • cmorgannorris Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 24, 2014 9:35 AM (in response to Rensoom)

    I'm in the same boat here, guys. I just wanted to contribute my symptoms.


    I have a Macbook Pro late 2011 17" running Mavericks. Out of the blue it freezes with a black screen. I am forced to power it off manually. From there it proceeded to get stuck just after the Apple Logo on a grey screen. I couldn't boot into any of the various modes (Safe, Apple Hardware Test, Internet Recovery, OSX Recovery Partition, USB stick, etc.).


    Then it eventually booted after some Single User Mode trickery (fsck -fy). But I doubt that was anything more than timing because it eventually froze up again. I especially doubt fsck doing anything after reading this thread. Keep in mind I haven't even suspected the graphics card till now. I powered her off like last time and some of the same situtations presented themselves. This time a bright blue screen was in the mix after the Apple logo. Then the same blue screen but with vertical lines.


    I took it to the genius bar where they were unable to run the drive diagnostics. They basically said they didn't know what the issue was. They speculated maybe the drive or the flex cable from the mainboard to the drive. Their options were $310 to send to the service center or I could try to replace the drive and cable myself in the hopes that it solves the problem.


    I'm definitely feeling left in the dark here by Apple. I am calling customer service today. I think everyone else should as well until we start getting some results.


    (800) APL-CARE (800-275-2273)

  • cmorgannorris Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 24, 2014 9:43 AM (in response to cmorgannorris)

    Here's another thread that I originally posted in. It's only a few comparatively but I'm sure we all have the same problem.


  • cmorgannorris Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 24, 2014 11:08 AM (in response to Rensoom)

    Here's an update after calling Apple Customer Service.


    I called in and spoke with your average tech support and was eventually patched through to a senior advisor. My whole intention here was to start a discussion within Apple about this issue. Once I finally made that clear to the advisor, he proceeded to document the issue and reported it. Included in the report was this very thread as well as the MacWorld article regarding similar cases. ( -3497935/ )


    There was a couple of times I felt like I was being given the run-around. Such as when I was told that because the MacWorld article was from the United Kingdoms the Macbooks were fundamentally different than my own machine. But all in all I made my concerns clear. The call didn't afford me any more options. I wasn't generously offered to be taken care of or sent an overnight service center box. But, I made it clear that this issue needs to be acknowledged.


    The senior advisor recommended that I post some instructions for people with the same issues (that's you guys).


    Hassle free steps:


    1. Call Apple Care (800) APL-CARE (800-275-2273)

    2. Immediately ask to speak to a Senior Advisor

    3. Explain the issue and that you believe it to be a production flaw affecting a large group of Early 2011 Macbooks with AMD graphics

    4. Request the filing of a report stating so and give this thread as referrence. I'm sure you could include other threads of similar experiences but since this one seems to have the most data I went with it.


    The gist of my report was: Whenever my Macbook switches to AMD discreet graphics my screen will freeze and not boot up (to anything) afterwards until it (seemingly) randomly switched back to Intel graphics.


    My options are still $310 for depot repair or upgrade altogether. I did voice the concern of having depot repair done and the problem not being truly solved. The senior advisor said it would be likely if a recall is issued that I could have my machine repaired again with the real solution and also be reimbursed $310. It's sounding like the option I will take to solve my immediate problem.


    Every single person who has this issue needs to call in and voice a concern. Keep posting to this thread and let other threads with similar problems know that we are here. If you have any tech media connections then break the story. Do what you can to get our problem solved.

  • Mikokola1 Calculating status...
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 24, 2014 6:41 PM (in response to Rensoom)

    Just want to add that I am also concerned by the AMD 6750M overheating on a MBP 17 (higher end, early 2011)

    I am using powerfull scientific softwares and glishes apppeared on the screen when using them.

    Using the intel integrated video "fixes" the problem for everyday use but not for softwares that requires high video capacity.

    I think it would be fair if apple take in charge the reparation of this problem.

  • cmorgannorris Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 24, 2014 6:53 PM (in response to Mikokola1)

    I do 3D renderings so I feel your pain. I'm not just browsing Twitter everyday. I need my machine to work for the reason I bought it. I can't afford to bandaid it by totally hamstringing the GPU.


    Also, I found this thread with others experiencing the same issues.


    Check it out and post there as well. We need Apple to get the message.

  • Karl Ihrig Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 24, 2014 7:03 PM (in response to Rensoom)

    Guys, I have been through this.  I paid the $310 depot repair.  The first logic board lasted a month.  The second lasted a day.  The third replacement, with the original $310 refunded, has been working for 7 months.  (My brother has been using my 2011 MBP every day.) 


    I bought a mac mini to continue my work.  On the third repair I bought a 11" macbook air because I needed a working portable and it doesn't have a GPU.


    Hate to say it, but if you have work to do, consider buying another machine.  So you can work while sticking it to and wearing out the depot repair until they fix it on their terms.


More Like This

  • Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (54)


  • This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.