1 2 Previous Next 23 Replies Latest reply: May 13, 2008 7:36 AM by EMBARQ Studio54 Go to original post
  • 15. Re: Download issues from OSX Server...
    EMBARQ Studio54 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Roger,

    Thanks for the info...

    I actually only have two instances of Apache. The default 1.3.x version and the one in /Library/Apache2/. This server used to have an install in /opt/Apache2/, but we started experiencing the ServerAdmin issues that are so prevalent on OSX Server (i.e., ServerAdmin stopped working).

    So, I'm actually going to the location of apachectl (cd...) -- which is at /Library/Apache2/bin/ -- and running it from there. But, I can try running the script with the absolute path and see what happens.

    By the way, could you give me the simple route to going back to Apache 1.3.x? Or, is there one?

    Thanks,
    Tim
  • 16. Re: Download issues from OSX Server...
    EMBARQ Studio54 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    I think so, but I will check again.

    T.
  • 17. Re: Download issues from OSX Server...
    EMBARQ Studio54 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    *Update: Using the absolute path for the "apachectl status" command resulted in:

    ===
    /Library/Apache2/bin/apachectl: line 91: lynx: command not found
    ===

    So, basically the same error as before, but with the correct path.

    T.
  • 18. Re: Download issues from OSX Server...
    EMBARQ Studio54 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    *Update: The System Logs don't show much, but there is this entry (multiple times):

    ===
    Mar 5 09:29:22 DKSM0002 servermgrd: servermgr_dns: gethostbyaddr() and reverse DNS name do not match (servername.dev.domain.com != SERVERNAME.dev.domain.com), various services may not function properly - use changeip to repair and/or correct DNS
    ===

    I've replaced the real server name with "servername" (as you can see, it's lower case in one instance and upper case in the other). I've also replaced the real domain name with "domain."

    Could this be a problem?

    Tim
  • 19. Re: Download issues from OSX Server...
    Celia Wessen Level 4 Level 4 (1,155 points)
    It's a "command not found" error. apachectl is calling lynx, but either it's not where it's supposed to be or the search path that apachectl knows does not contain the correct directory.

    Anyway, you don't need lynx to run Apache, but you'll need it if you wan to use the "status" command. So this is not a BIG problem.

    But that probably means that when you installed Apache 2.x on your server, you didn't load it up to the brim with "known-to-work" features usually found with the Apple install.

    The key is to finding out if wether the httpd process is hanging or ending before it should.

    Extended Keyboard Server   Mac OS X (10.4.8)  
  • 20. Re: Download issues from OSX Server...
    Roger Smith3 Level 6 Level 6 (13,475 points)
    I had both Apaches configured (by hand) for what I need. I went to the Apache startupitem, /System/Library/StartupItems/Apache, and copied the script and made the changes for Apache2. Now if I want to go back and forth, I just name the script that I want to use Apache and the server executes it on startup.

    Roger
  • 21. Re: Download issues from OSX Server...
    EMBARQ Studio54 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Ok, thanks for clarifying that.

    As far as finding out if httpd is hanging or ending... Any advice? None of my logs seem to indicate it, but when I attempt downloads, there is definitely an issue. Altering htppd.conf settings gets this behavior to change in certain ways (i.e., I can download more or less of certain files depending on various settings), but I still haven't been able to fix the issue.

    Guidance is much appreciated!

    Thanks,
    Tim
  • 22. Re: Download issues from OSX Server...
    EMBARQ Studio54 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Thanks, Roger.

    T.
  • 23. Re: Download issues from OSX Server...
    EMBARQ Studio54 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    I just realized that this was still left as "unanswered." While all of the replies here were helpful, a reinstall of the entire AMP system is what ended up being the fix for this issue. The 'main' fix was moving from PHP 4.x to PHP 5.x (something about PHP 4 and Apache 2.x was causing a hickup (which I never did completely figure out).

    Anyway, thanks for all of the help (even though this is a pretty late response).

    Tim
1 2 Previous Next