This discussion is archived
53874 Views 694 Replies Latest reply: Nov 4, 2007 3:10 PM by FrustratedWithVista
Ok, I actually had to work so didn't have the chance to play WoW all day. But, I had zero freezes today so that's a positive. I'm playing now and will be for at least a few more hours so we'll see what happens.24" 2.4GHz alumiMac 3/320, Mac OS X (10.4.10), DP 1GHz G4 MDD, 14" iBook G4, 12" iBook G3, 15" Toshiba POS
Whats in common between freezing Intel iMacs (white and alu), freezing Intel Macbook Pros, freezing Intel Macbooks and freezing Intel Mac Minis?
Maybe that's the real problemiMac 24" Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X (10.4.10)
Well that was fun
Installed it after booting into Safe Mode. Logged in, and not even being in the Operating System for 5 minutes it crashed:
Computer's screen went Black and I was locked up hard. I could not log into the machine remotely like I could with v1.1 of the iMac update. My only choice was to hold the power button in and let the machine reboot.
For those thinking you can reinstall v1.0 of the iMac update over top of v1.2, I have bad news. Doesn't seem it's possible because I attempted it and the result: Blue screen with the operating system running in the background. The good news is I was able to log in remotely and reinstall the iMac Software Update v1.2.
Here's the command I used for reference:
Assume the iMac Software Update is on the Desktop.
sudo installer -allow -verbose -pkg ~/Desktop/iMacSoftwareUpdate1.2.pkg -target /
Once the command finished, I restarted the iMac using:
sudo shutdown -r now
Taking a look at the difference between iMac v1.0 and 1.2 update is pretty big. Here are the details.
System Profiler - Graphics :
iMac Update v1.0 Installed Contents :
If you look at the screen shots, you'll notice the biggest difference between v1.0 and 1.2 are the following extra files:
Probably explains why when I tried to install iMac v1.0 update over iMac v1.2 update, not all the file were over written and had half of each update installed. Not a good way to fly.
At this point, I'm back up and running with v1.2. I'll keep you all posted whether or not I crash again, and syslog entries if I do. I'm planning on doing some heavy web surfing and when I had v1.1 on board it usually triggered the crash sequence.
- CougariMac 24" 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X (10.4.10)
Just a quick summary of my story. I have had the exact same problems as most everyone else. Got my 24" Alum as soon as they came out. No problems until v1.1 came out and the games began. Reinstalled Tiger and did not update the video and everything was back to perfect working order. Of course I then bought Leopard and like everyone else found out, v1.1 was embedded in that OS which obviously put the problems right back in play. Then v1.3 came out for Leopard and we thought that would end it but.......no. Well, I already had a history with tech support over this issue and I called again today to express this (insert your own adjective) issue. I must say, tech support hold did not take as long as I expected...maybe 10 minutes, and after getting through, I as others have been now get transferred to a Leopard specialist. A short wait again and I was explaining the issue to a very helpful tech. There were no games, he was aware of the situation and like anyone else expected v1.3 to fix the problems we are having (referred him to this forum). He ran a test on my computer with a program that he sent to me in an e-mail and I replied the results. A few hours later in the day, he called me on my cell and expressed that Apple wants my computer and they are going to replace it with a new one. They are sending a fedex next day air tag to handle the transfer and send me the new one. While there is some hassle to this, I will be satisfied if everything works on the new one. One other point I appreciated as well, was that he explained that they would drop-ship replacement parts to me and have a tech come to the house and fix it on site if it went that route. Definitely better than the thought of driving it to an Apple store to have it shipped out and get it back who knows when.
So, what I am getting at is that this might be a viable option to some instead of waiting for v1.5 or whatever. This is not something I asked for; it was completely their decision and I decided to go with it. I was very close to reformatting the hard drive and putting Tiger back on without the updates but I as well as I'm figuring everyone here wants there iMac to run the way it is intended with the most recent OS.
Here's to hoping the new one has no problems.24" iMac Aluminum, Mac OS X (10.5)
After having some time to compare the System Profiler information differences between iMac v1.0 and iMac v1.2 updates I noticed that:
With v1.0, Quartz Extreme is 'Not Supported' but with v1.2, Quartz Extreme is supported.
With v1.0, Core-Image is Software accelerated, but with v1.2, Core-Image is Hardware Accelerated.
Just some food for thought.iMac 24" 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X (10.4.10)
I just got off the phone with Apple and when I explained to the tier 2 product specialist the frezing problem I was having and all the steps I have taken over the last 60 days to try and rectify the situation he offered to send someone to my house to replace the logic board. I am willing to try that and hopefully it will work. It has for some posters and not others. If it works, great, if not then I will all thm back and politely ask them to replace the unit with a new one.
He also was aware of the freezing issue and said that it was expected that the 1.2 update (I have not upgraded to Leopard yet) would solve the problem.
Maybe they have been given some new direction to try and take care of folks who make a good faith effort to try and solve the issue before calling or something. I would have been happy to take it to the shop but I am even happier that a tech is coming here.
Tough to beat that for service. The standard warranty does not include in home service. I live in a very rural area and I believe the closest service person to me is about 45 miles away. There is a retailer about 35 miles away where I bought my Mac but I don't think they do in home service.
Anyway, I am happy and we will see what happens.24"imac 2.4Gz, 17"iMac core duo, 20" G5 iMac, 20" Intel iMac, Mac OS X (10.4.8)
Have not crashed yet. Been surfing like crazy, iTunes Visualizer on at the same time, opening and closing Cover Flow, etc, etc.
Could it be that the initial crash where the screen goes black shortly after an install is expected?
I have no games, and I have no other method of making this computer crash other than under a high load, oppose to a heavy load.iMac 24" 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X (10.4.10)
Hooked up my 20" cinema display today, playing WoW on the main and running Starry Night Pro (astro software) on the 20". Also letting Flurry screen saver take over to run on both screens, still no freeze. Strange that I've only had the one incident.24" 2.4GHz alumiMac 3/320, Mac OS X (10.4.10), DP 1GHz G4 MDD, 14" iBook G4, 12" iBook G3, 15" Toshiba POS
So I have definately had the freezing issue with my 2 week old aluminium iMac. (2.4ghz 20" screen 320gb hdd 2gb apple ram) In my case, the issue was with anything that had 3d effects. Unreal Tournament 2K4 and C&C3 were big culprits. I had actually gotten to a point in C&C3 where I couldn't continue the campaign, because something in the level set off the freezing bug. I applied the software update (1.2 to tiger 10.4.10) and everything seems to be running smoothly. All the crashes that I was able to (consistantly) do in games have gone away. Hopefully apple will correct the issues with other imacs, as there are obviously still problems with them. Just wanted to let everyone know that 1.2 DOES in fact solve the issue (for me at least)iMac 2.4ghz Core 2 Duo 20"
Interesting. I've had only 1 incidence resulting in a hard reboot. Now everything is running like clock work. Perhaps the initial hard boot is doing something. PRAM perhaps? Wou;dn't be that far fetched... when I crashed repeatedly with iMac Software Update v1.1, I couldn't boot into Mac OS X without locking up. it was only till I cleared the PRAM that I was able to boot into Mac OS X.iMac 24" 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X (10.4.10)
I completely forgot to mention that I zapped the PRAM after my lone incident as well. Dunno if that has anything to do with my current solid performance, but I figgered I should include the datum point.24" 2.4GHz alumiMac 3/320, Mac OS X (10.4.10), DP 1GHz G4 MDD, 14" iBook G4, 12" iBook G3, 15" Toshiba POS
Got a call from the tech at the Apple repair center today and he is still awaiting a logic board enroute from Apple. In the meantime he installed the 1.2 update and the Aperture update. Says he's been getting into Aperture off and on all day and still no freeze. Soooooo....tomorrow (Saturday) I'm going to pick it up and work on it over the rest of the weekend. Will let you guys know how it shakes out.
Aperture is my gold standard---if I can keep things working without freezes in that, I'll declare victory, tentative but still, victory. Will still be jumpy for some time awaiting a freeze that hopefully never comes. We'll see.iMac 24" 2.4GHz Aluminum, Mac OS X (10.4.10), 3GB RAM 320GB HD ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO 256MB memory
Freezing iMac's are usually accompanied by graphic artifacts and very consistent screen lockups. The machine actually continues to operate, however the screen no longer is refreshed except for mouse movement.
A great test, is to enable your seconds display on your clock so that you can see if your screen freezes for sure when you are testing or verifying.
Quickly changing screensavers through the selection menu for 5 to 15 seconds in a row is usually guaranteed to freeze the system. Another is to rotate a photo quickly many times in a row within iPhoto.
The solution is not the updates 1.2 or 1.3, as they have 0 effect for the true freezing that is plaguing the iMac aluminum's.
The problem with artifacts and freezing on the iMacs is in fact video memory which requires an entire logic board (motherboard) replacement at your nearest Apple Store (repair center).
I was not too surprised with this as the solution, as I had 100% trouble with fresh installs of Tiger and Leopard as well as freezing when during the initial loading of the Install CD's. This was a strong indicator that the hardware in the machine or firmware was at fault.
Firmware tested and verified aside, the local Apple Store has my iMac and is replacing the logic board and will have it ready in 3 - 5 days.
I would strongly suggest all users do the following:
a) Contact Apple Care and run through their standard testing and verification process. This is required before a local repair store will even consider replacing hardware.
b) Upon authorization and suggestion by Apple Care to have hardware replaced, run it to your local store immediately to get this started as quickly as possible.
Another helpful tip, if you need it resolved FAST, then purchase Apple Pro Care, which is an expedited repair service option, which I was told places you first in line and almost guarantees a 2 day turn around for repair.
Hope this was of help.
Good luck. -- Oh, and they told me at the store, this was the first time they had seen it.iMac 24", Mac OS X (10.4.10), Mac Power User; G4's... G5's... Intel's...
Well I just tried to seriously load my iMac's graphics and it would not freeze. Flipping through the Screen savers, rotating a 1920 x 1200 photo as fast as I could by holding down the short cut to rotate the image. Now I'm dizzy, so thanks for that suggestion The only freeze I have had was the initial lock up that happened soon as I installed iMac Update v1.2 which required a hard restart that was unavoidable.
Maybe this update, iMac v1.2 address my iMac's issue. Perhaps each update Apple releases is tailored to a specific iMac case and won't fix all iMacs at once.
At this point, my machine seems to be fixed. Will post when this changes.iMac 24" 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X (10.4.10)
Yeah, I agree with Rick, 1.2 seems to have fixed my iMac. I spent the entire day doing everything 3d that I could think of, along with all the "sure fire" ways to crash an imac, and no crashes. Played UT2K4, COD2, C&C3, used every visual effect known to man and machine in iMovie, played around in photoshop, I even broke out my 3d apps using the Irrlicht game engine, not a single crash. I went from the computer croaking everytime I looked at a game or 3d app, to it working just fine...
I must have gotten one of the partially borked batches of iMacs....
For the record, this particular iMac was purchased Oct 9 recieved oct 16, Other than the default Tiger install that came with the machine, only other system changes were to disable dashboard and remove spotlight... I did move apps/prefs from an old G5, but no other system components came from the old system. I'll keep testing though and see if I can cause a crash under tiger and the v1.2 update.iMac 2.4ghz Core 2 Duo 20" 2GB ddr2 10.4.10 "Tiger"