Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

A new mini: 1.83 GHz vs. 2.0 GHz.

2393 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: May 9, 2008 4:44 AM by lisewind RSS
eurobum Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Mar 25, 2008 11:16 AM
I'm considering getting a mini to use as a media center.

I need to know if the 1.83 processor with either *1 or 2 GB* of ram, will play HD-encoded material sufficiently, such as the popular codec, Matroska (.mkv) mostly 720p but also 1080p, and also WMV HD 9 (also 720p/1080p).

Or would I have to get 2.0 GHz, and if so 1 or 2 GB ram?

Anyone who has one of these minis that can comment?

I have a Macbook 2.2GHz, 2 GB ram that plays all of the above sufficiently. The reason I'm not taking graphics card into account, is because the Mac mini shares graphics card with my Macbook ..... the GMA 950.

Message was edited by: eurobum
Mac Mini, intel duo 2.0/1.83 GHz, 1/2 GB ram, Mac OS X (10.5.2)
  • AndyO Level 6 Level 6 (17,045 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 25, 2008 11:38 AM (in response to eurobum)
    I would have thought the primary culprit in limiting the system's ability to handle this sort of material would be the graphics processor rather than the CPU, and I would certainly not expect the difference between 1.83 C2D and 2.0 C2D to make much of a difference in terms of system capabilities.

    I'll let those with direct experience of the material you are looking to play on a mini answer as to how effectively the system works with your intended use, but I would suggest that a 1.83 mini with 2 or 3Gb RAM would be a better proposition than a 2.0 mini with the base 1Gb.
    G5 DP/2.0 : Mini/1.25 : Mini/1.50 : 2x iMac 24/2.4 : TiBook : iBook : iPhone, Mac OS X (10.5.2)
  • lenn5 Calculating status...
    Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 25, 2008 7:17 PM (in response to eurobum)
    If you don't need a mini right away I would wait a few more weeks. The mini is due for a refresh soon. At least that's what the rumor sites say. Would hate for you to get one and then a week later the improved mini comes out.

    iMac Core Duo 1.83/1gig, Mac OS X (10.5.2), PB 12"/768ram, iPod Touch
  • AndyO Level 6 Level 6 (17,045 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 26, 2008 4:12 AM (in response to lenn5)
    Rather than base a purchasing decision on rumors, it makes more sense to base the choice on defining the purpose for which the system is needed and then buying the product that meets those needs. That way, the system is just as good after it has been replaced by a new product as it was at the time of purchase. Waiting, based on rumor, may pay off in terms of a product refresh but it implies that only the latest product release is any good.

    As to the mini being due a refresh soon - it's only last August that it was updated last, so other than repositioning the product or being forced to make changes to it by a supplier (such as Intel withdrawing the type of processor used and thus requiring Apple to redesign for a new one), it may not be as 'due' as you think!
    G5 DP/2.0 : Mini/1.25 : Mini/1.50 : 2x iMac 24/2.4 : TiBook : iBook : iPhone, Mac OS X (10.5.2)
  • lenn5 Level 4 Level 4 (2,530 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 26, 2008 2:08 PM (in response to AndyO)
    I'll have to disagree with you on the mini not due for a refresh in the near future. Apple is moving all it's consumer Macs to the 45nm Core2Duo. Only the iMac and mini are left to switch over. This CPU runs cooler than the current 65nm CPUs in the iMac and mini so will be a big help in these small enclosures. Also 8months is a long time between upgrades today when Apple uses intel chips. It wasn't a long time when Apple used PPC chips.

    I do agree that you should base your purchase on what meets your needs. Just saying that if you don't need the new mini right away it might be a good decision to wait alittle while. At least that's what I'm doing.

    iMac Core Duo 1.83/1gig, Mac OS X (10.5.2), PB 12"/768ram, iPod Touch
  • AndyO Level 6 Level 6 (17,045 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 26, 2008 2:27 PM (in response to lenn5)
    As I said, Apple may be pressed into updating due to the change in processor line, though based on MacBook reports, such a change won't likely render much in the way of performance gains, if any at all, but as a whole Apple have little apparent need to update the mini on an increased cycle. It's the entry-level system intended for users who need a product at this price point rather than one for performance or technology. As such they will update when they feel is appropriate to the product and it's market, rather than for any other reason, and that has not historically been as regularly as with other products in the range.

    It really boils down to one's perception of what being 'due' for an update means. To us, as users, it means something different than it does to Apple!

    In terms of buying, I think there are two distinct market segments - those who buy because they can, and those who buy because they need to. The former tend to be interested in the latest/greatest/fastest/newest, and perhaps look to product updates as trigger points for purchases. The latter buy what they need when they need it, so the fact a new product might emerge a month later is of far less importance, since the criteria for happiness is based much more on whether the system purchased satisfies their need or not.

    For anyone interested in the latest/greatest/fastest/newest and who don't have an immediate need, it's almost always better to wait and see what happens before buying.
    G5 DP/2.0 : Mini/1.25 : Mini/1.50 : 2x iMac 24/2.4 : TiBook : iBook : iPhone, Mac OS X (10.5.2)
  • Irvo Calculating status...
    Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 26, 2008 3:37 PM (in response to eurobum)
    A 1.83 with 2GB will be sufficient, to answer the OP's question.
    Mac OS X (10.5.2)
  • lisewind Calculating status...
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 9, 2008 4:44 AM (in response to eurobum)
    Jeg ved godt at jeg ikke besvarer dit spørgsmål nu, men jeg kunne lige se, at du var dansker, og dit eget spørgsmål lyder til, at du har rimelig godt styr på det med mac, ram og alt det der (og det har jeg vist ikke ligefrem selv). Derfor vil jeg høre dig, om det er muligt at skifte processoren ud? Jeg har nemlig kun en 1.83 GHz og hvis jeg skal kunne køre både OSX 10.5 og windows xp på min computer, tror jeg ikke den er kraftig nok. Hvis du tror det bliver et problem eller har nogle ideer må du meget gerne svare.
    Tusind tak, venlig hilsen Lise.
    MacBook, Mac OS X (10.4.11), 1.83 GHz intel Core 2 Duo


More Like This

  • Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)


  • This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.