Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

Is CPU overheating covered under warranty?

2072 Views 16 Replies Latest reply: Apr 23, 2008 9:08 PM by 7oby RSS
1 2 Previous Next
7oby Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Apr 10, 2008 9:53 AM
I haven't broken my MacBook yet, but I fear it may happen if I run Folding @ Home. I see in iStat Pro temps of 90-91 Celsius and that's way too high. My fan obviously kicks into high gear (6100RPM) but it doesn't go down. If I leave folding on for a few hours, apps start to get sluggish and the OS just acts funny.

I hear from all the experts that 91C is way too hot, and I know about the old paste debacle but that was supposedly fixed in the core 2 duos.

I'm not alone in these hot hot heats:
http://teammacosx.org/forum/cgi-bin/ikonboard.pl?act=ST&f=54&t=3117&st=0#entry47 101
MacBook 2.16ghz C2D, iBook G4 1.33ghz, Mac Mini 1.8ghz C2D, Mac OS X (10.5.2), two 8gb iPhones, a 20gb ipod 4g, a 20gb ipod 4g color
  • deltatux Level 2 Level 2 (485 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 10, 2008 9:56 AM (in response to 7oby)
    7oby wrote:
    I haven't broken my MacBook yet, but I fear it may happen if I run Folding @ Home. I see in iStat Pro temps of 90-91 Celsius and that's way too high. My fan obviously kicks into high gear (6100RPM) but it doesn't go down. If I leave folding on for a few hours, apps start to get sluggish and the OS just acts funny.

    I hear from all the experts that 91C is way too hot, and I know about the old paste debacle but that was supposedly fixed in the core 2 duos.

    I'm not alone in these hot hot heats:
    http://teammacosx.org/forum/cgi-bin/ikonboard.pl?act=ST&f=54&t=3117&st=0#entry47 101


    Usually the CPU's normal high temperatures are around 82 degrees C. Are you sure where you are putting your laptop is in a well ventilated place?

    Try running folding on desktops like your Mac Mini instead.
    Apple Macbook, Mac OS X (10.4.11), Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16 GHz, 120 GB HDD, 1GB DDR2-667
  • deltatux Level 2 Level 2 (485 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 10, 2008 10:05 AM (in response to 7oby)
    7oby wrote:
    The mac mini is being used by the girlfriend, and I'm sure she'd be furious if I abused her CPU like that.

    As well, it's not just well ventilated, it's on one of these:
    http://www.amazon.com/Targus-PA248U-Notebook-Chill-Pad/dp/B0000AKA8Y

    (and yes it's running, and the back of the notebook is properly lifted by the little nubs)

    Also, that thread I linked showing 89C temps? It's talking about a Mac Mini itself.

    Message was edited by: 7oby


    Have you tried running the system without that pad? I don't know how effective that pad really is. I know from my experience with my Mac, it never peaked over 82 degrees ever.
    Apple Macbook, Mac OS X (10.4.11), Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16 GHz, 120 GB HDD, 1GB DDR2-667
  • deltatux Level 2 Level 2 (485 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 10, 2008 12:42 PM (in response to 7oby)
    The more ventilated the area is, the less likely the temperature will spike on the system. For me, the regular idle temperature is 40C, if your machine is idling at more than 45C, you should make sure that nothing is blocking the vent.
    Apple Macbook, Mac OS X (10.4.11), Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16 GHz, 120 GB HDD, 1GB DDR2-667
  • deltatux Level 2 Level 2 (485 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 10, 2008 12:51 PM (in response to 7oby)
    Sometimes these products MAY interfere with the cooling of the laptop. I do not have such a product to test it but I'm just asking if you take it off, did it see a difference. My Macbook is on a flat surface and the room is well ventilated and it idles at 40C and never peaks 82C when it's working on full load.
    Apple Macbook, Mac OS X (10.4.11), Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16 GHz, 120 GB HDD, 1GB DDR2-667
  • Phonic Calculating status...
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 10, 2008 1:03 PM (in response to 7oby)
    Back to the original question.

    I believe it is covered under the warranty. It is a design fault if it overheats without blocking the vents/modification.
    20" iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.2)
  • JoeyR Level 6 Level 6 (8,275 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 10, 2008 1:30 PM (in response to 7oby)
    I'm not sure how you would address this as an overheat issue with Apple. Folding @ Home maxes out your CPU to 100% 24/7... meaning your CPU is working absolutely as hard as it can without ever having a chance to slow down. Your fan can do a bit to help cool your system under normal circumstances, but it's almost impossible for the MacBook fan to get the temp much lower than it is under that kind of load. Folding @ Home is really not a great application to be running on a notebook. As you mentioned about running FAH on your girlfriends Mini +*"I'm sure she'd be furious if I abused her CPU like that."*+ you already know it's an "abusive" application. I know the PC version lets you determine what percentage of the CPU power you want to let it use (I usually keep it at around 80%)... but I haven't found a way to do that on a Mac.
    Core Duo BlackBook - SR MBP - 8GB Gen 2 and 3 Nanos, Mac OS X (10.5.2)
  • deltatux Level 2 Level 2 (485 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 10, 2008 3:39 PM (in response to JoeyR)
    JoeyR wrote:
    I'm not sure how you would address this as an overheat issue with Apple. Folding @ Home maxes out your CPU to 100% 24/7... meaning your CPU is working absolutely as hard as it can without ever having a chance to slow down. Your fan can do a bit to help cool your system under normal circumstances, but it's almost impossible for the MacBook fan to get the temp much lower than it is under that kind of load. Folding @ Home is really not a great application to be running on a notebook. As you mentioned about running FAH on your girlfriends Mini +*"I'm sure she'd be furious if I abused her CPU like that."*+ you already know it's an "abusive" application. I know the PC version lets you determine what percentage of the CPU power you want to let it use (I usually keep it at around 80%)... but I haven't found a way to do that on a Mac.


    I guess the lesson is: if you don't feel like burning your laptop, don't use FAH, it won't kill you if you don't run the application (now if FAH worked with my ATi card I would run it on my desktop, but that's another story).
    Apple Macbook, Mac OS X (10.4.11), Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16 GHz, 120 GB HDD, 1GB DDR2-667
  • deltatux Level 2 Level 2 (485 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 10, 2008 6:21 PM (in response to 7oby)
    I hope that the Geniuses don't waste your time and actually fixed the problem. I have had a string of problems after my first repair from them and am not satisfied with their repairs. I'm going to get it fixed by my local Apple service provider to see if they will fix my keyboard issue once and for all.

    As for your laptop, it could just be dust or a motherboard (Apple calls these logic boards) mishap.
    Apple Macbook, Mac OS X (10.4.11), Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16 GHz, 120 GB HDD, 1GB DDR2-667
  • Paddy Crawford Clarke Calculating status...
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 10, 2008 6:33 PM (in response to deltatux)
    One time i was running a similar mac killing program and my CPU was up at 100 it shut itself down and the hard-drive was melted. luckily it was under warranty but i lost all my files, they couldn't evan recover them forensically.


    currently i am having a different problem with my fans or should i say fan.

    basically the cooling system on mac's laptops is RUBBISH
    macbook, Mac OS X (10.5.2), white
  • deltatux Level 2 Level 2 (485 points)
    Paddy Crawford Clarke wrote:
    One time i was running a similar mac killing program and my CPU was up at 100 it shut itself down and the hard-drive was melted. luckily it was under warranty but i lost all my files, they couldn't evan recover them forensically.


    currently i am having a different problem with my fans or should i say fan.

    basically the cooling system on mac's laptops is RUBBISH


    Actually, I agree with that. Ever since the Intel upgrade, Apple hasn't realized that Intel has a bad record of releasing overheating CPUs that aren't optimal for laptop use. Back then on the G4s, heat was never an issue for consumers.
    Apple Macbook, Mac OS X (10.4.11), Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16 GHz, 120 GB HDD, 1GB DDR2-667
1 2 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

  • Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

  • This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.