Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

Almost Daily Email Troubles

1183 Views 14 Replies Latest reply: Aug 17, 2008 11:52 AM by AJ RSS
AmusedSpaceman Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Aug 11, 2008 1:05 PM
At least every second day I have some problem with email, with different numbered ports "timing out", connections to the server failing, etc. Sometimes restarting fixes this, or just waiting for awhile lets the issue somehow resolve itself. But I wish I could have email when I want it, not when the service decides to let me have it. Any suggestions please?
Thanks.
Greg
MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.11)
  • Beanut Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 11, 2008 1:24 PM (in response to AmusedSpaceman)
    OMG - same here!!!!

    I am SO tired of it!!!

    I just got my first Mac in April, told everyone I know how flippen great it is and how much better than a PC, etc.

    Now every day for the past 2+ months everyone I know is joking around asking me how much I like my Mac now - because my "bleeping" email NEVER works!!!

    UGH!!!!

    Good marketing and advertising for Mac, I'm sure nobody I know will ever get one!!
    MacMini, Mac OS X (10.5.3), Personal Use
  • spessex Calculating status...
    Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 13, 2008 2:51 AM (in response to AmusedSpaceman)
    join the club. I've lost count of the amount of hours of wasted due to mail problems and I'm an experienced user of over 10 years and I.T. consultant. Unfortunately, its the only thing a windows PC does better.... Outlook.
    Mac OS X (10.5.4)
  • Buzz Lightgear Level 2 Level 2 (225 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 13, 2008 7:45 AM (in response to spessex)
    Gee-Whiz, People ...
    *DON'T PANIC!*
    !http://homepage.mac.com/buzzlightgear/BuzzDies.gif!
    *STUFF HAPPENS!*

    First, I want to apologize in advance about my replay. I'm not trying to insult any of you. I came here to help but you're complaining about problems without any details. I started to leave until I read the last post! And that hit the wrong nerve! Do all of you own a PC just to check E-Mail? And why do you blame the Mac. It ONLY does what YOU tell it to do! Did you all take the time to learn how to setup Mail on your Mac? Or did you just dive in, head first, without checking the pool for  water?

    First, Greg ...
    AmusedSpaceman wrote:
    ... every second day ... some problem with email ... different ... ports "timing out", connections to the server failing, etc ... restarting fixes this, or just waiting for awhile ...

    Well that's nice to know but is *TOTALY USELESS* information to ANYBODY that wants to help Plus, that's like telling an auto mechanic that your car doesn't work right but you know what kind of car you have! If 'waiting for awhile' resolves itself, then it may not even be your MAC!
    ... I wish I could have email when I want it ...

    Yea, and *I Wish I Were What I Was When I Wanted To Be What I Am Now!*
    not when the service decides to let me have it.

    And that's my CLUE that your stuff may not be the problem!

    Now for Beanut ...
    Beanut wrote:
    I am SO tired of it!!! ... got my first Mac ... told everyone ...how great ... much better than a PC, etc.

    Well, I didn't become a Windows MCPLANA because I love Windows! I did it for the MONEY! But I got *SO SICK* of dealing with my OWN Windows problems that I switch to a Mac. Now I don't even want to use a Windows PC!
    Now every day ... past 2+ months everyone ... is joking ... I like my Mac now ... "bleeping" email NEVER works!!! UGH!!!!

    Well, I bet you regret telling them that now, don't you!
    ... I'm sure nobody I know will ever get one!!

    *Ignotum per Ignotius!*

    And now for Spessex ...
    spessex wrote:
    join the club. I've lost count of the amount of hours of wasted due to mail problems ...

    Well Spessex, I've lost count of all the hours I spent FIXING my Windows PC.
    and I'm an experienced user of over 10 years ...

    Big Deal! I'm a user with over 27 years experienced!
    and I.T. consultant.

    So what! I'm a Microsoft Certified LAN Administrator. There's a BIG difference between knowing what it does and knowing how it does it.
    Unfortunately, its the only thing a windows PC does better.... Outlook.

    Do you base your bias on this ONE Application just because you can't get Mail to work? And just what does Outlook DO better than Mail?  

    Once again I apologize because I come here to help! And Greg, if you post more information about you stuff, I'll be more than glad to help.

    Later ...
    !http://homepage.mac.com/buzzlightgear/Buzz.tiff!
    Buzz
    3.2 GHz Quad-8 Core Mac Pro w/Leopard-4GB Ram-GeForce 8800 GT-HP L2335 Monitor, Mac OS X (10.5.4), 2.0 GHz Dual Core Power PC w/Tiger-3GB Ram-ATI X800 XT-Proview Monitor
  • AJ Level 5 Level 5 (7,065 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 13, 2008 12:18 PM (in response to AmusedSpaceman)
    You should not change the port numbers unless your ISP specifically tells you.
    Mail servers expect communications on port 25 and (110, if I recall correctly), unless the connection is encrypted, in which case, different ports are used.


    Deviate from the norm usually means communications failures.


    First, I would check your email account settings, then verify them against the settings your ISP tells you you should be using. Both the inbound/outbound server names and ports. I would alos check your firewall settings, and verify the ports are not being blocked. If you are behind a router, check it as well.

    While you are checking things, look at your DNS settings. If they are incorrect, then your system may have difficulty finding stuff.

    It is not unknown for internet to work, and mail to be down, for whatever reason.

    Have you tried your ISPs support? Mine has been known to have all systems up and running normally (oh, wait, we have an outage in your neighborhood).

    Personally, I prefer Thunderbird to either mail or outlook. I can't say it's ever given me a problem.
    Quad 2.66, Dual 1.42 MDD, Mac OS X (10.5.4), 23"HD
  • fuzzydog Level 2 Level 2 (355 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 13, 2008 3:29 PM (in response to AmusedSpaceman)
    Four suggestions. 1. Quit mail and delete its .plist file and restart mail. 2. Get something like leopard cache cleaner and do a "deep clean" of caches. 3. Delete your mail accounts one by one and create new ones. 4. Repair permissions.
    2.66 Quad Mac Pro; Macbook (black), Mac OS X (10.5.4)
  • Buzz Lightgear Level 2 Level 2 (225 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 15, 2008 6:41 PM (in response to AmusedSpaceman)
    Hi Greg. I'm glad you liked my cartoon. I'm sorry about my last post. Please forgive.

    AmusedSpaceman wrote:
    Hello, Fuzzydog--How do I delete mail's .plist file? What is that anyway?

    Mac OS X uses Preference Files (.plist) to store the setup information about EVERYTHING you change. Sometime these files become Damaged, by no fault of your own and need to be Deleted. There is a way to have your Mac verify these files before you just go off & Trash'm.
    Let me show you how to verify your Mail's Preference File. It's easy. ...
    Open the Finder and then click on the Applications Folder. At the bottom click on the Utilities Folder and then double click the Terminal Application. Type or Copy & Paste the BOLD text bellow into the Terminal & then press enter.

    *plutil -lint ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.mail.plist*

    You'll receive a message about this file like this ...
    /Users/you/Library/Preferences/com.apple.mail.plist: OK
    If it's not OK then just drag it to your Desktop, you need the Information it contains.
    It will be re-created the next time you start the Mail App but you'll need to re-enter you E-Mail Account Stuff.
    And how do I repair permissions. How do I even know if they're broken?

    Two VERY good questions.:) First, OS X uses Permissions on Files & Folders for various things. Stuff like security & ownership. And like .plist's, they can change causing weird Stuff to happen. And second, you'll never know about Permission Damaged until you check them with the 'Disk Utility' App. It's located the 'Applications' Folder and after it's opened, click the boot drive on the left panel. Then click the 'Repair Disk Permission' button & wait until it's done. It's like watching paint DRY! It's suggested that your 'Disk Permissions' be checked occasionally especially before & after any Mac Updates. Now before you start deleting Stuff, PLEASE let me know more about you Internet ISP & your setup.
    Is your ISP DSL or Cable? How is your Mac connected to the ISP? Is your E-Mail Account from your ISP or some other E-Mail Server (Mac, Yahoo, GMail etc)?
    From what you say about ...
    At least every second day I have some problem with email, with different numbered ports "timing out", connections to the server failing, etc

    That's my clue to 'It may not be your Stuff' but your ISP' (unless you have a Router to the Mac) because I think it's not 'Renewing' (among other things) your IP Address using 'DHCP'.

    Later ...
    !http://homepage.mac.com/buzzlightgear/Buzz.tiff!
    Buzz
    3.2 GHz Quad-8 Core Mac Pro w/Leopard-4GB Ram-GeForce 8800 GT-HP L2335 Monitor, Mac OS X (10.5.4), 2.0 GHz Dual Core Power PC w/Tiger-3GB Ram-ATI X800 XT-Proview Monitor
  • Buzz Lightgear Level 2 Level 2 (225 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 15, 2008 9:08 PM (in response to AmusedSpaceman)
    AmusedSpaceman wrote:
    Wow, thanks ...

    Your welcome, Greg and I apologize again about that post on Wednesday. I had a bad day dealing with a Cheap Client & his 10 year old Windows ME PC that FINALLY DIED, Thank God. If ONLY I could convince Him to GET A MAC because I DO NOT SUPPORT VISTA.
    ... it could have been a router problem.

    The interesting thing was that you could still surf the 'Net' and some ISP's are blocking Port 25 because of 'SpamBots'. But a Blocked Port doesn't 'Time Out' after a while, it's INSTANCE.
    I'm starting to think maybe my Airport Extreme might have had something to do with it.

    No 'Maybe' about it. I have a AEBS too and it's problematic sometimes because I keep HACKING it to hide my LAN.
    A couple of days ago, I was sent a firmware update for the AE. To make a long, painful story short: the firmware has a bug that knocked out my network.

    DITO. But you learned something that I LIVE BY: Never Update Anything Because You Can, Only If You HAVE TO. And before Updating Stuff, always check the 'Net' to see if others are having problems with it.
    AppleCare had me reset the AE and create a brand new network. Since then, so far no problems with Mail!

    Did they have you Down Grade the Firmware? If not, then keep your fingers crossed for a least two days.
    But just in case, I'm glad I have these great suggestions from all you good people to refer to. Thanks!

    No problem Greg. BYW: I wanted to know if your ISP was DSL or Cable for a reason because they use different sizes of Internet Packets. This can create a BottleNeck on your LAN waiting for their WAN to catch up and cause 'Ports Time Outs'.

    Later ...
    !http://homepage.mac.com/buzzlightgear/Buzz.tiff!
    Buzz
    3.2 GHz Quad-8 Core Mac Pro w/Leopard-4GB Ram-GeForce 8800 GT-HP L2335 Monitor, Mac OS X (10.5.4), 2.0 GHz Dual Core Power PC w/Tiger-3GB Ram-ATI X800 XT-Proview Monitor
  • Buzz Lightgear Level 2 Level 2 (225 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 15, 2008 10:24 PM (in response to AmusedSpaceman)
    AmusedSpaceman wrote:
    No worries, Buzz. We all have better days than others. And yes, my ISP is cable.


    Very Cool. Cable is a little faster with less noise to cause interference than DSL. And you may think is a little weird, (like me) but I'll tell you some of my 'MAGIC' tricks that I do to my clients home LANs. Assuming that you don't use you LAN to back to any Hard Drives, change your Mac's Network Ethernet Connection Speed to '10baseT/UTP' & the Duplex type to 'full-duplex, flow-control'.

    But before you do goto this Link and test your Cable Modems Speed.

    http://reviews.cnet.com/7004-7254_7-0.html

    Run the test at least three times to get an average then change the Mac Ethernet Speed.
    Then run the test again, 3 times. If '10baseT/UTP' is slower then change the Mac back to Automatic but you maybe surprised.

    There's my Cable Modem test ...
    @ '100baseTX' ... Average 758.5Kbps.
    @ '10baseT/UTP' ... Average 901.0Kbps

    Sometimes Slower is Faster.

    Later ...
    !http://homepage.mac.com/buzzlightgear/Buzz.tiff!
    Buzz
    3.2 GHz Quad-8 Core Mac Pro w/Leopard-4GB Ram-GeForce 8800 GT-HP L2335 Monitor, Mac OS X (10.5.4), 2.0 GHz Dual Core Power PC w/Tiger-3GB Ram-ATI X800 XT-Proview Monitor
  • AJ Level 5 Level 5 (7,065 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 17, 2008 11:52 AM (in response to AmusedSpaceman)
    If you are behind a router, then the settings will be in the router configuration.
    Your router will get it's own IP gateway, and DNS servers from the (cable or DSL) modem.


    Also check your network control pane.
    DNS servers may be listed there as well. Compare them to the router.

    Since your router gets the DNS servers from your ISP, the settings on the router should be correct. If the network control pane shows something different, you may have issues.
    Quad 2.66, Dual 1.42 MDD, Mac OS X (10.5.4), 23"HD

Actions

More Like This

  • Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

  • This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.