This discussion is archived
1187 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Dec 16, 2008 5:41 PM by MrPhotoGuy
Currently Being ModeratedDec 14, 2008 6:09 PM (in response to MrPhotoGuy)A couple of tips:
1) Check your iMovie Preferences and make sure the "Display Timecodes" is checked. Without this, the closest you can adjust time is to the nearest 10th of 1 second. With Timecodes on, you can adjust to the exact frame.
2) With Timecodes turned on, 2:15 means 2 seconds and 15 frames. If you are using NTSC (30 frames per second), that is equivalent to 2 and 1/2 seconds.
3) The longest a transition can be is roughly one half the length of the shortest photo or video clip being joined. If you have a 3 second photo, with 1 1/2 second transitions before and after, all you will see is a transition. There will only be a fraction of a second when the photo flashes on the screen.
4) Therefore, it is best to keep transitions to 15 frames (or 1/2 second) or so. This way you will have a series of 3 second images, but the last fifteen frames of the first image and the first fifteen frames of the second image will form the transition. So you have roughly 30 frames of transition and 2 seconds of full photo per 3 second photo.
5) If you want to match photos exactly to music, you may want to try no transitions at all. This way, you can start a new photo precisely on the beat you want.iMac 24 2.8Ghz, iPhone, ATV, Mac OS X (10.5.5), Parallels 5584 with XP, Panasonic HDC-SD5
Currently Being ModeratedDec 16, 2008 12:29 PM (in response to AppleMan1958)Thank you this is helpful. However if that is so, why does Imovie change other clips after I adjust a clip? It automatically adjusts the the transition before, sometimes after the photo I'm working on? I can set up my defaults to say 3 secs per clip and 2:15 for each transition and when I import the photos they all have that, but then when I go to make individual adjustments it alters several other clips at the same time. I want each clip to be left alone. I only want to the photo Im working on to change. Nothing else. Am I crazy?Imac24, Mac OS X (10.5.5)
Currently Being ModeratedDec 16, 2008 12:45 PM (in response to MrPhotoGuy)This will happen if your transition is longer than half the length of the clips before or after the transition.iMac 24 2.8Ghz, iPhone, ATV, Mac OS X (10.5.5), Parallels 5584 with XP, Panasonic HDC-SD5