Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz freezes any time, boots sometimes with one processor

106187 Views 200 Replies Latest reply: Oct 18, 2010 3:33 PM by NiqueT RSS
  • telepathic Calculating status...
    Same problem here. This happened to my G5 about a year ago. I've tried everything with no luck.
    Apple support said to fix the problem I would need to upgrade to the NEW mac Pro. I'm sorry I can't crap money to buy a new computer! Thanks Apple I now have a brick of aluminum.
    We should all put our G5's together and make a yard art out of them!

    Learnmedia you got very LUCKY the rest of us will be waiting for someone to step up!
    G3,G4,G5, Mac OS X (10.5.6)
  • G5 paperweight Calculating status...
    If you need your G5 up for transferring files or getting at your email, download CHUD Tools from the developer site, get the thing booted up (this may take several attempts) and use the processor control (comes in CHUD) to make sure you're running with one processor. I do this and it runs. It runs slow, but it doesn't freeze up.
    Dual 2 G5, Mac OS X (10.5.6)
  • Learnmedia Calculating status...
    They swapped it for free! I paid nothing, except, of course, for an 8GB RAM upgrade from OWC and a PCIe firewire card. As I stated earlier, they were really good about setting up the new machine with whatever aftermarket add-ons that I had installed (2 hard drives, etc.).
    2.8.8-Core Mac Pro, 10 GB RAM; Black MacBook 2.2. 4 GB RAM, Mac OS X (10.5.5)
  • Tom Shanks Calculating status...
    My Powermac G5 dual 2.5GHz bought in August 2004 is exhibiting the same issues. Booting up fails 95% of the time. Usually gets to gray Apple logo screen then ticker stops and red led on logic board goes on. No joy booting from DVD or the other disk either. Wait more than ~4hrs then it boots up first or second time but then subsequent boots dont work until another 4hr wait! Like Tenoch post, this problem first appeared after a security update 2 months ago, probably from 10.4.9 to 10.4.11.

    Disks are fine according to Disk utiility. Resetting NVRAM, PRAM, PMU or replacing PRAM battery doesnt work. Removing/swapping ram has no effect. Video card isnt the one listed by Apple as suspect. So its probably logic board.

    Whatever the cause - Apple needs to respond to this issue - its either hardware problem or hardware problem induced by system software update! Have been using Mac's since 1988 and am losing confidence in being able to persuade my university department to buy me another one!
    Powermac G5 dual 2.5GHz (August 2004), Mac OS X (10.4.11)
  • G5 paperweight Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    I met with the Genius and was charged $90 for them to: Run hardware tests for two days, reseat the processors and ultimately was told that to get my machine fixed would cost $1600 (logic board and likely a processor).The genius acknowledged that there is a known issue but the only reasonable solution he could come up with was to upgrade to a MacPro. NONE OF US bought apples' state of the art product expecting to throw it away after 4-5 years.
    Dual 2 G5, Mac OS X (10.5.6)
  • thoughtcryme Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
    This is insane!
    So many people having the same problem.

    I too have the same.

    I have a G5 dual.
    One day, out of the blue, I was encoding some footage.
    I left the room and when I came back the fans were at full bore and the screen read:
    System Failure CPU 1 Corrupt stack etc...

    Then it wouldn't boot.
    I reset PROM and NVRAM, no luck.
    Did that many times.
    So I resorted to using my old laptop.
    I decided to resolve the issue.
    So I reseated the RAM, changed their locations, took out the PROM battery.

    The only way I could boot it was by switching the locations of the CPU's, and it now says it has only 1 CPU.
    Fans are running wild, not full bore but almost.

    My apple care warranty expired a few months ago also.

    You can't help but notice these patterns.
    It's almost like Apple doesn't want to have to support the PPC arch anymore.
    So the logic bombs they planted are now going off.
    Forcing people to buy new Intel Macs.
    Most people won't go as far as those of us in here have.
    They'll bring it to an apple store or genius bar and be advised to buy new machines.
    Or pay to have parts replaced, only to have the same problem a little while later.
    It's insanity!!!
    PowerMac G5, Mac OS X (10.4.11)
  • Samsara Level 4 Level 4 (1,320 points)
    Helps to toss this out from time to time
    Apple Customer Relations at 1-800-767-2775
    G5Quad 2.5, 16gb ram, 7800gtx, VR array/striped, Mac OS X (10.5.6), electron22blueIV, 20"cinema display, iPod touch
  • thoughtcryme Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
    I think we need to do something here.

    Everyone who hasn't already contacted apple about this, SHOULD!
    In order to make all of our claims official.

    Then, we should make this problem and lack of attention by apple known.
    We should contact a well known and reputable Mac oriented media company.
    Such as Macworld, or any other.
    Maybe more than 1.
    We need to save this thread in the unlikely event that someone from apple might close it down.

    More often than not you need to hit someone(especially a corporation) over the head with a sledgehammer if you want their attention.

    If we make this problem high profile, apple will be forced to at least recognize this.

    The tech guys at apple are the foot soldiers, they'll try to shut you down.
    So when we call apple we have to ask to speak to a supervisor.

    I myself am very suspicious of this problem due to the similarity in the problem we're all having, and the time frame in reference to the expiration of the applecare plan.
    It's just too coincidental.

    In addition, it might be a good idea to create youtube videos regarding the problem.
    Like they did when people started getting those $3000 bills for the iPhone.
    Apple was forced to address that issue, even though they initially ignored it.
    They always ignore problems!
    The old mindstate of if you ignore the problem it goes away.
    SO the only way we can do anything is if we refuse to let the problem go away.

    This is the way apple wants it.
    So we should make sure they get it!!!

    Personally, I don't want to buy another Mac because of this.
    I'd rather buy a Mac clone!

    I'll gladly take the lead on this.
    I'll contact every Mac related media outlet until there's exposure of the problem.

    I already plan to contact Apple.
    First thing tomorrow morning.
    Just for my own personal satisfaction.

    But in order for me to take it all the way I just want to know that everyone is behind me on this.
    They already solved the problem for one man in this thread.
    So if they're gonna help one of us, they should do the same for all of us!

    Yeah, I as well as most others in this thread could just buy a new Macpro.
    But NO!
    That's not gonna help us aside from having a working machine.
    But if they screw us the way they are now, they'll screw us again in the future.

    This kind of treatment is not acceptable!
    Especially since most of us spent well over $3000 with apple.
    What should we do?
    Spend another $3000 with apple?
    That just makes apple think it's OK to treat people like this.

    I promise, if apple doesn't do something about this my next machine will be a Boxxx workstation.
    Even though I hate windows, I hate being screwed over even more!
    PowerMac G5, Mac OS X (10.4.11)
  • tdcampbell Calculating status...
    I think EVERYONE in this thread (and anywhere else) that are having these issues all need to be turning in their "official" phone complaints and requests for recall or exchange to Apple. There are plenty of us to cause something to happen. But I think we all need to do it in order to get a result.
    G5 Dual 2GHz, Mac OS X (10.4.11)
  • thoughtcryme Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
    Putting nvram boot-args into terminal didn't give me anything.
    I got:
    Boot-args back in terminal and it put me back at the terminal prompt.

    I had my G5 booted with 1 CPU and it was working aside from the fans going high.
    I rebooted, and now it recognizes both CPU's but locks up after 30 minutes or less.

    Seems that the only way my machine will run is if it runs on only 1 CPU.
    But I can't figure out how to disable 1 of the CPU's.

    A couple years back there was a preference pane that allowed you to set how many CPU's the system used.
    I don't know when or why that preference option was taken away, but that's what's needed now.
    PowerMac G5, Mac OS X (10.4.11)
  • Drew Reece (Re:co) Level 2 Level 2 (310 points)
    CHUD tools was the preference pane that disabled processors, it was part of the Developer tools. Now I think it is just called 'Processor' in the Extras/Preference Panes folder of the dev tools.
    NVRAM -boot args may need to be set in when booted into the firmware not in the OSX Terminal, but I can't remember right now & suspect it isn't a good idea anyway.

    To be honest I expect it won't really help you much to turn off a processor, my G5 would only boot with one CPU, it was slow and then would crash (with increasing frequency), before finally failing to boot at all. Remove the drive and back up the data via another system if you want to avoid loosing any data. Sorry, but your mac is in free-fall it will hit the ground at some point & stop booting.
    Mac OS X (10.5.5)
  • Drew Reece (Re:co) Level 2 Level 2 (310 points)
    thoughtcryme wrote:
    This is insane!

    The only way I could boot it was by switching the locations of the CPU's, and it now says it has only 1 CPU.
    Fans are running wild, not full bore but almost.

    If you switched the CPU positions then you need to run the Thermal Calibration tests on the 'Apple Service Disk'. Otherwise the fans will never go at anything other than full blast. Google is you friend, or take to a genius bar or Apple support centre & ask them to do it for you. The disk is available only to Approved Service Engineers, and is specific to the model types.
    Mac OS X (10.5.5)
  • Drew Reece (Re:co) Level 2 Level 2 (310 points)
    I'll toss this one out too, or Perhaps getting the attention of the boss will help? This thread has over 100 replies, it should be setting off alarms bells at Apple.

    There are also 25 pages of unhappy stories here,
    There is also a list of casualties here too, (my site).

    For me 3 years, 2 months use is not what I expect from a Pro Mac.
    Mac OS X (10.5.5)
  • thoughtcryme Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
    Well, the thing is that my system will only boot with 1 CPU if I remove the PROM battery.
    With the battery present it boots with 2 CPU's and then crashes 10-15mins later.

    If I can manage to boot with 1 CPU, the system runs pretty stable except for the red light coming on and the fans running at medium speed.
    It hasn't crashed yet when booted with 1 CPU.
    Provided that it doesn't enter the sleep state.

    However, without the PROM battery the system thinks it's 1969.
    And as anyone who's tried, knows, the system doesn't even power on if you physically remove one of the CPUs.

    I would like to be able to boot with 2 CPUs, then set the system to boot with only 1 CPU and see if that will allow me to boot with the PROM battery present.
    It was mentioned here that someone set the boot arguments to 1 CPU and avoided the fan speed ups, boot failures, and crashes.
    PowerMac G5, Mac OS X (10.4.11)
  • thoughtcryme Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
    Are you feeling victimized or something?
    Cause I can't help but notice that you're starting to advise others to give up completely.

    Whoopy posted a working(albeit temporary) solution that may work for some people but not others.
    Where he set the boot argument to 1 cpu which allowed the system to boot and stopped the crashes.
    On 1 CPU, but still, it boots and doesn't constantly crash.

    Which seems to be how mine is working too.
    Except I didn't set the boot args.

    But I'm in Limbo right now.
    It'll be a couple months until I can replace this machine anyway.
    Hopefully it lasts until then.
    But if it doesn't it will still be a little while until I can replace it.
    And there's still a few things I can try.
    So I'm not gonna just take my drives out and retire it to the graveyard in the basement.
    What apple does about this in the meantime will determine what way I go with a future investment to replace it also.
    And yes, I understand it's not likely they will do anything.
    So there's no glimmer of hope here for you to crush.

    I have backups of all my data.
    I only have 1 Mac though.
    And I don't have regular access to another Mac to just go and backup my HDD's.
    I also have projects that I have to do something with.
    So I have no other choice right now but to continue using it in this state.
    PowerMac G5, Mac OS X (10.4.11)
1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 14 Previous Next


More Like This

  • Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)


  • This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.