2248 Views 13 Replies Latest reply: Mar 20, 2009 10:32 PM by Jim Yelvington
so here's what's going on. I'm talking with an apple rep that is working with the engineers. This seems to be an issue that is localized, as some people are experiencing it, but not many as yet.
Here's what I've been instructed to do...
1. Move the domain file to my computer from my external hard disk (sometimes external HD's go to sleep)
2. Open the domain on my local computer after it's moved and Publish the entire site to mobile me...
3. Make sure that the hard disk, display, and computer as not set to go to sleep in the system preferences
If this doesn't work I've got a personal email to the apple rep that I'll report back to him and he'll forward my current issues to the engineers.
The site is uploading now, it's about 4 gig, so it probably won't be done uploading until tonight. I'll check after it's uploaded to see if this problem is fixed. If so great. If not then I'll contact the apple rep. Either way I'll post back here in a couple of days.
Thanks for posting...
I've already set my blog count to 50, and I'm not subscribed to my on video podcast.
Per the instructions of the Apple Support person I've just today reloaded my entire site (5 gig) to idisk by hand to see if that fixed it. It didn't. I've also tried twice to publish the entire site to Mobile Me with publish errors.
Where before it was showing the most recent 5 episodes, not it's stuck on 5 older episodes and isn't updating in iTunes.
I've had the same problem and so went through my rss.xml file (published in the Podcast directory). iTunes was only listing 7 of the available 50 podcasts. I noticed after the first 7 <item> listings in the rss.xml file, iWeb had mysteriously started placing this tag in the next 43 items:
I assume this means block the item from iTunes. Smart one Apple Engineers, randomly insert blocking tags in obscure files and let the users find and manually delete them so there stuff can work, this will help increase your job security for decades - AT MICROSOFT.
An update to my last post. I took out the blocking tag and it still did not change the number of podcasts shown. I also noticed that the other 43 podcast items in the rss.xml file did not have two other tags that the other 7 did.
If you open your rss.xml file, you will see that the items that are listing have different tags than the ones that aren't. I tried to go through each podcast in iWeb to ensure that they all had an author and an advisory tag just to make sure the rss.xml file would list them with all the needed tags and not the blocking tag.
After saving these changes and then publishing the entire site again (to my hard disk, so that I could check the file), the rss.xml file now has all the right tags and has omitted the 'blocking' tag.
I am now waiting to see if iTunes sees the new rss.xml file and lists all the podcasts correctly.
So, make sure each individual podcast has an author and advisory notice.
Hope this helps.
Subscribing to the podcast after the changes listed above gave me all 50 podcasts in iTunes. If I do a search for my podcasts, iTunes only lists 8 of the 50 but that will probably change once iTunes updates their link to the rss.xml file or if I post another podcast.
So in summary
1. make sure each podcast has an author, advisory and the check box ticked "allow in iTunes"
2. Make sure the inspector shows the right number of podcasts to show in your web site and therefore iTunes. I changed it to 49, saved then back to 50 just to force the issue.
3. Republish your changes, or like in my case, publish to your hard drive and then upload the changed files. I also do a search and replace to the rss.xml files and a few others to remove the site name iWeb places into the URL. So for instance, my site is www.patrickdodson.net but iWeb inserts /site/ into these files and I have to remove it because all my files are on the root of the server. This last bit is probably not important to most of you.
I think this is fixed. Feedback?
ok. I've corrected the code in the xml file as you instructed. I'm currently uploading the video files (5 gig) and it says it will take about 15 hours.
I'll post back tomorrow to see if itunes picked up the episodes. I'm also working with an apple rep in support that is connected to one of the iWeb engineers, I'll forward all of this to him to see what they think. They've been very helpful so far, but can't find a solution as yet.
Ok... here's what I've done to get it fixed.
The problem seems to be that there is a glitch for some of us, where iWeb "adds" a level to the url of the podcast info that is published in the RSS file.
My correct podcast is ...
What iWeb is publishing is...
It has the extra "SanctuaryOC/" in the middle.
I figured out a work around by adding a folder that my website is published in on my server with the name "SanctuaryOC" even though that isn't one of my page links on the site. I then republished the site to my local disk, and loaded the "Sanctuary_Podcast" folder twice.
Once to this path.... http://www.SanctuaryOC.org/SanctuaryOC
and once to this path... http://www.SanctuaryOC.org
I then resubmitted my podcast feed to iTunes, it has been accepted. The podcast feed is validated. It seems to be fine. I'm awaiting final approval from iTunes. But everything looks good now.
So... to review. If you're having trouble with some episodes no showing up in iTunes after the upgrade to iWeb '09. And you HAVE set your episode count to 50 in the podcast inspector, and you HAVE thrown away all of the preference files for iWeb, and you HAVE republished all of your folders and reloaded your site, and you HAVE spent many hours emailing back and forth with iTunes and iWeb support.
THEN... try this. It appears to have worked.