Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

Software Update stops updating

4745 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Apr 20, 2009 6:37 PM by DeeSix RSS
The Dragon Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Mar 30, 2009 11:09 AM
I believe this is a new take on a similar problem I've seen posted a couple of times before. None of the previous fixes seem to work this time, though.

The background is that one of my apps started Software Update upon detecting new updates after launch. After a longish while, the "Checking for new software..." progress bar had reached about halfway, and the update list indicated it had found five updates.
At that point however, the progress bar chose to freeze entirely. After a good while and no further progress, I Cancel the update, and attempt to relaunch. Software Update opens, but the aforementioned progress bar freezes immediately. No matter how many hours I leave it there, it will not budge.
The computer suffers from no other Internet-related problems or slowness, and other computers in the same network still run through Software Update in a matter of minutes.

I have tried deleting the partially downloaded files in /Library/Updates and restart, to no effect.
I have also tried deleting the com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist files from both the top and user level /library/preferences folders, likewise to no effect.

So ... what should I try next?
MacBook Pro 17" 2.33 GHz, Mac OS X (10.5.6)
  • Nardac Calculating status...
    Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 30, 2009 12:01 PM (in response to The Dragon)
    Try to move ALL these file in your desktop and restar :
    youraccount/Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist
    youraccount/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.SoftwareUpdateXXX.plist
    youraccount/Library/Caches/com.appleSoftwareUpdate
    HD/Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist
    Macbook ImacG4, Mac OS X (10.5.6)
  • EssEmm Calculating status...
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 5, 2009 7:50 PM (in response to The Dragon)
    I agree - deleting the Cache.db file from the directory above did the trick. I also deleted all the files as suggested in the previous post, but without the Cache.db being deleted, it did not work. Once I deleted Cache.db, update started to function. Thank you Dragon (and Bruce).
    MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.6)
  • SADON Calculating status...
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 13, 2009 8:01 PM (in response to EssEmm)
    Worked for me too. Kudo's
    iMac5,1 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X (10.5.6)
  • DeeSix Calculating status...
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 20, 2009 6:37 PM (in response to The Dragon)
    Thanks Dragon, Bruce. Worked for me also, hope this is somehow going to be corrected with an updat to the app so this does not have to be repeated manually on a periodic basis.
    MacBook Pro 17, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Actions

More Like This

  • Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

  • This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.