1 10 11 12 13 14 Previous Next 195 Replies Latest reply: Sep 2, 2009 8:32 AM by pictogram Go to original post
  • 165. Re: New MacBook Display is Horrible
    maiku.emon Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    just found this after some research: http://peewaiweb.free.fr/

    does not look good for us - apparently the screen is only capable of 260,000 colors. that explains a lot. from what the forums on macrumor suggest - we are screwed if we have a model number that contains 9Cxx, which mine and others on this post claim. Hopefully Apple addresses this, because it is false advertising to claim millions of colors then knowingly install a screen that does not.
  • 166. Re: New MacBook Display is Horrible
    Waymen Level 5 Level 5 (5,635 points)
    maiku.emon wrote:
    ... apparently the screen is only capable of 260,000 colors.


    This isn't a new revelation nor even that uncommon of a practice among all manufacturers. I'm not here to defend the MacBook's display for it does have shortcomings (however, nothing is "perfect"). In actuality the color situation isn't as dire as the raw numbers might suggest.

    In this regard, it's probably important to note that traditional LCD panels can only produce three colors -- red, green, and blue. That's right, the physical panel can only emit _three_ colors. If so, then you might wonder how you can _perceive_ more than three color on the MacBook's LCD (or any LCD display). Simply put, the red, green, and blue pixel elements are blended by your eye to produce a greater range of apparent color. In a somewhat similar manner the "260,000 colors" (6 bit) claimed in the above post can be mixed to produce a color palette out of a range of millions of colors (this technique is often called dithering).

    If you want further information on how color is reproduced on an LCD you can visit this link (skip to "The Color-Depth Issue" section if you want the short answer):

    http://electronicdesign.com/Articles/Index.cfm?AD=1&ArticleID=8365&pg=2
  • 167. Re: New MacBook Display is Horrible
    r.williams Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    For those who say they love the screen I'm really happy for them.. but there definitely is a problem with the macbook I have.

    The contrast on mine is really bad. It's so bad in fact that it's very difficult to run a proper calibration test using either the built-in Apple calibration or using a HueyPro. With the HueyPro I can only run the color profile calibration because I can't see the differences in the contrast to be able to adjust it properly.

    At this point I'm a bit stuck. I can't afford to upgrade the computer and would like to stick with OS X. However $500 Windows laptops have much better displays. Right now whenever I have to do any photo editing I use an external monitor which is fine, but kind of kills the whole idea of having a "laptop".

    I don't really see any software resolution to this issue. The issue to me is the inferior LED display. I'm sure Apple saved a few bucks on it but it's really turning me off the computer.
  • 168. Re: New MacBook Display is Horrible
    15" Level 1 Level 1 (20 points)
    Ummm... has anybody seen this? It explains a LOT about why pre-April and post-April MacBook displays look a LOT more like the superior MBA dsiplays... because Apple did a 'Silent Upgrade' to the MB and started using the MBA display in the April-on MBs!

    Take a look:

    http://www.macrumors.com/2009/05/28/13-macbook-screens-quietly-upgraded-in-april /

    ...and after the jump, another ID number emerges that's also an MBA display ID as well:

    http://blogs.computerworld.com/applesecretly_updated_13_inch_unibody_macbook_screens0

    Best,

    Charlie
  • 169. Re: New MacBook Display is Horrible
    Pancenter Level 5 Level 5 (7,640 points)
    15" wrote:
    Ummm... has anybody seen this? It explains a LOT about why pre-April and post-April MacBook displays look a LOT more like the superior MBA dsiplays... because Apple did a 'Silent Upgrade' to the MB and started using the MBA display in the April-on MBs!

    Take a look:

    http://www.macrumors.com/2009/05/28/13-macbook-screens-quietly-upgraded-in-april /

    ...and after the jump, another ID number emerges that's also an MBA display ID as well:

    http://blogs.computerworld.com/applesecretly_updated_13_inch_unibody_macbook_screens0



    Apple tried to get away cheap...
    (the worst audio chip ever, no firewire, inexpensive screens, uneven quality control) ...and some of you got a worm in your Apple. Somebody had to pay for those shiny Alu cases. At least Apple users are now raising a fuss when things aren't right.

    pancenter-
  • 170. Re: New MacBook Display is Horrible
    Waymen Level 5 Level 5 (5,635 points)
    Pancenter wrote:

    Apple tried to get away cheap...
    (the worst audio chip ever, no firewire, inexpensive screens, uneven quality control) ...and some of you got a worm in your Apple. Somebody had to pay for those shiny Alu cases. At least Apple users are now raising a fuss when things aren't right.

    pancenter-

    The display does have some issues, mainly the lack of any tolerance in the vertical viewing angle. However, for a different overview on the performance of the original display and other issues of construction you should read the following review on Tom's Hardware:

    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/apple-macbook-laptop,2130.html

    Tom's Hardware is well-known for their coverage of PC hardware so their in-depth review provides some interesting insights into the relative value of the 13" Aluminum MacBook.
  • 171. Facts vs Opinions
    15" Level 1 Level 1 (20 points)
    RE: the Tom's Hardware article just mentioned- If you'll take a read, you'll perhaps comprehend the distinction between spraying a drive-by dishonest opinions and actually having all your facts straight.

    'worst audio chip'? FAIL.

    'no firewire'? devolving consumer-class standard. Go up the food-chain. Buy an adapter or a mbp. FAIL

    'inexpensive screens'?- compared to what? Eizo medical monitors? $5k Dell 17" laptops with built-in hardware calibrators? FAIL

    'uneven quality control'? ever try every other laptop manufacturer's QC in any less than top-end lineup? FAIL

    'At least Apple users are now raising a fuss when things aren't right.' Oh, and you're right there to slap backs and offer lies? Touchdown- FAIL

    Ever try trolling in another forum? FAIL
  • 172. Re: Facts vs Opinions
    sathinator Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Seems that Apple has finally upgraded the Unibody Macbook screens on the quiet with a panel from AU Optronics, which is the company that made the original Macbook Air screen and which most people think is an excellent screen. Check out the link:

    http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/05/apple-finally-upgrades-terrible-macbook-s creens/

    Seems that either Apple does read these posts and/or listens to the feedback, and does take action (after first trying to get away with maximizing their profit hoping that no one notices ).

    It could also be that this is because there are suggestions that they will go back to Macbook Pro nomenclature for the aluminum lines, leaving the plastic model as the Macbook. If so, they will want to ensure that they have a Pro class panel in the notebook.

    Either way, it should have always been like this from the start!
  • 173. Re: New MacBook Display is Horrible
    sathinator Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Check out the link:

    http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/05/apple-finally-upgrades-terrible-macbook-s creens/

    Look who got the last laugh...he,he,he...
  • 174. Re: New MacBook Display is Horrible
    swixo Level 1 Level 1 (95 points)
    Just got a MB 13 - and the new display is fine - no eye strain - no crappy black level.

    Would have been nice if it shipped this way originally.

    s
  • 175. Re: New MacBook Display is Horrible
    Waymen Level 5 Level 5 (5,635 points)
    swixo wrote:
    Just got a MB 13 - and the new display is fine - no eye strain - no crappy black level.

    Are you talking about the NEW 13" MacBook PRO or the original 13" Aluminum MacBook (the on without Firewire)?
  • 176. Re: Facts vs Opinions
    Steven Forwood Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)
    Now that the Macbooks have an updated display, I need to dump the Macbook I bought back in November 2008 as I am sick of the horrible display and much prefer to use my Vaio SZ which has an excellent display. Too bad it doesn't run OSX. I guess I'll have to take a look at the new ones. I will not buy anymore Apple notebooks with crappy displays. I really feel gypped by Apple and very much regret buying the 2008 MacBook. Ebay, here I come.
  • 177. Re: New MacBook Display is Horrible
    swixo Level 1 Level 1 (95 points)
    I bought a MB 13 made in May - no 7hr battery - no FW800, but NICE Display.

    s
  • 178. Re: Facts vs Opinions
    pogster Level 3 Level 3 (665 points)
    Steven Forwood wrote:
    I will not buy anymore Apple notebooks with crappy displays. I really feel gypped by Apple and very much regret buying the 2008 MacBook. Ebay, here I come.


    You say you feel gypped by Apple. Why did you buy and keep one with a 'crappy' display in the first place? Did you not look at the computer before purchasing it? Did the display somehow change between the time you bought it at the store and getting it home? Why didn't you just return it? The computer is what it is and yet you kept it. ???
  • 179. Horrible MacBook Display
    Steven Forwood Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)
    Yes, it was stupid to keep it. I waited a long time for a small Apple notebook with some power. Didn't realize I would get so sick of the display after using it day after day. It gets old re-adjusting it all the time depending on your viewing angle. The old MacBook Pro - 1st Generation - that I still have has a much better display, but not as portable. It is not LED, but has better color and much better viewing angle. I accepted the fact that it is was crap (MacBook display) and kept it too long. Then it was too late to return. So I still have it but don't use it much. Now I will try to sell it to someone who is more accepting and buy the new one...after I insist on looking at the display first. I just can't help thinking that Apple pulled a fast one on customers by using an awful display in the MacBook and advertising that it was a beautiful display. Compared to what - the previous MacBook? I am sure there are many other who fell for the otherwise decent computer (except for the lack of firewire). There will probably be a lot of them up on eBay for sale now. An expensive error on my part, but I won't be living with it much longer.