Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV - Display Rolling / Scrolling

Greetings - I just plugged my Apple TV into a Toshiba 32' Color Television using proper component cables and jacks on both Apple TV and Toshiba. Screen looks GREAT but keeps rolling as if there is a verticle hold issue like an old television. This television does not have verticle or horizontal hold adjustments and I am looking for some help with this topic.

mg

PowerBook G4; Mac Mini; MacBook; iPod Video; Apple TV, Mac OS X (10.4.4)

Posted on Jun 16, 2007 12:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 16, 2007 2:42 PM

First thing to do is make sure yout TV is operational. i.e. If you plug other things (DVD, Xbox, etc..) into the same Component imputs on your TV, does it work properly?

If you get the same problems, then the issue is likely with your TV and I am sure Toshiba has a forum to get help.

If the TV works, as I am assuming it will, Make sure you have your Apple TV set to the correct Resolution. 1080i, 720p, etc.... AND that your TV can handle the resolution which you have chosen. also do not use the 50HZ options unless your TV is specifically able to support 50HZ.

Some TV's support 1080P while others only 1080i. 720P may or may not be supported... Pull your AppleTV all the way down to 480i, which is the most basic display setting, and slowly bring the resolutions up until you find one that works with your TV.

Hope that helps.... Also try a different set of cables or connecting AppleTV to a different TV. Isolate the problem by trying out different variations.
7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 16, 2007 2:42 PM in response to Mark Gaipo

First thing to do is make sure yout TV is operational. i.e. If you plug other things (DVD, Xbox, etc..) into the same Component imputs on your TV, does it work properly?

If you get the same problems, then the issue is likely with your TV and I am sure Toshiba has a forum to get help.

If the TV works, as I am assuming it will, Make sure you have your Apple TV set to the correct Resolution. 1080i, 720p, etc.... AND that your TV can handle the resolution which you have chosen. also do not use the 50HZ options unless your TV is specifically able to support 50HZ.

Some TV's support 1080P while others only 1080i. 720P may or may not be supported... Pull your AppleTV all the way down to 480i, which is the most basic display setting, and slowly bring the resolutions up until you find one that works with your TV.

Hope that helps.... Also try a different set of cables or connecting AppleTV to a different TV. Isolate the problem by trying out different variations.

Jun 16, 2007 4:15 PM in response to Winston Churchill

Thank you for your assistance: Prior to posting I had completed most of the advised troubleshooting. VSmile and External DVD Player both work on same inputs and with the same cables, which I might add are top shelf. I took the aTV to a second television in the house with input cables but not all input cables required so I got the steady screen which was operational but in B&W. Checking or adjusting the res is not easy with the screen moving so much. The television, although equipped with the component inputs is an older model, perhaps 5 years old so I am at this time writing it off to that. In short, reading most of the posts regarding ATV, I have a new base station and should really invest in a more modern television with the single high end plug.

Jun 17, 2007 6:48 AM in response to Mark Gaipo

It sounds as though you have connected your tv to a composite connection on your second tv. Since you have a stable picture on that tv, I would say your tv is working correctly (you will have connected the green out to yellow in and green out carries the component sync signal, so the tv seems to be generating its sync signal properly)

HDMI is intelligent, your tv will tell the tv which resolutions it supports and only display the options it can use. Component is not intelligent and hence your tv will display all of the outputs it has regardless of whether they are compatible with your tv or not.

I suppose it is possible to select the wrong option and obtain the rolling you are experiencing, however I would ordinarily expect a blank or blue screen on your tv and after a few seconds the tv would reset itself to a compatible resolution.

So could it be that:
Either your second tv is behaving as expected and your tv is setting itself to a compatible resolution or that simply your second tv supports both PAL and NTSC signals. Additionally could it also be that your first tv, although not compatible with the wrong type of signal is not actually rejecting it and hence the tv is not trying to reset its resolution. If this is the case and you are unable to see properly to alter your resolution because of rolling, then you could attach it to your second tv and set it from there. Given the information you have given I'm guessing the resolution you need is 480i/60 Hz.

Failing this you are likely looking at your connections again, but at least you know your tv is not defective.
User uploaded file

Apple TV - Display Rolling / Scrolling

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.