Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Movie Making - 'Best Practice' question

All,

I didn't quite know how to title this question.

I am in the process of capturing lots of video of my daughter's track team (summer Junior Olympic team).

I am planning to put many shots (all pretty short duration - 2-5 seconds each) and match with music. There will be many transitions, effects and the like - in other words a pretty 'busy' movie.

I am also planning on using between 5 and 7 pieces of music - total video length about 20-25 minutes or so.

I am thinking of making one movie per song, then exporting to Quicktime, then combining each of the Quicktime movies into one final overall movie. This would give me much better control of each of the songs as all the songs and clips won't be in the main movie.

I would then pull into iDVD for the menus and titling and the like. Basically one subtitle for each song/movie.

In the past - and with last year's team video (and other bball videos I did) - I put all the songs/clips/effects/transitions in one movie - which in my mind is a bit risky if I moved something early on - and didn't notice it - my timing could become messy.

Questions:
1) Does the export to Quicktime, then importing back to iMovie make sense? Is there an even better way?
2) Quality of the final product using this system?
3) is this what most people do?

thoughts?

thx
rory

Powermac G5 - 2.0GHz, Mac OS X (10.4.9)

Posted on Jun 18, 2007 10:36 AM

13 replies

Jun 18, 2007 11:33 AM in response to Rory

Your key phrase is "..There will be many transitions, effects and the like.."

When you add transitions (except "Overlap") to anything in iMovie, the entire movie is shortened by the length of each transition, and so is each "incoming" clip (..the one you transition into).

That means that either (a) you have to decide - before creating any transitions - how long that ..or each.. transition will be, and then leave that much extra material at the front of each clip which you'll be transitioning into, so that your video will stay in sync to any music you're cutting it to; or (b) add the music later, after you've done all your editing.

(..Oops; gotta go now: ice cream's melting! ..back later..)

Jun 18, 2007 12:48 PM in response to David Babsky

but that simply was NOT the question I was asking.

let's make this assumption - that I use one song as a soundtrack and make a movie with all the photos, clips, transitions, titles and the like. and it's simply 'perfect'.

Now, I use a different song and make yet ANOTHER movie with clips, photos, transitions, effects and the like.

and now I do this 5 or 7 or so times - all different movies.

NOW I want to stich them together into iMovie as a new single movie, using quicktime format as the 'transition' for each of the movies built.

maybe with that thought in mind, how do my original questions look now?

thx

Jun 18, 2007 1:06 PM in response to Rory

Rory,

1) Does the export to Quicktime, then importing back to iMovie make sense? Is there an even better way?
2) Quality of the final product using this system?
3) is this what most people do?

Here's my 2 cents.

#1 I always edit in short segments, using expert settings to export to a DV stream and bring them together in iMovie for the final project. I find it less confusing and error prone avoiding a lot of hiccups and other weirdness.

#2 Quality will remain the same thruout.

3# Don't worry about what most people do, you edit the way you feel most comfortable. Everyone has their on style. Results are what counts.

Because iMovie lacks content management features I've found the basic editing style you've outlined to serve me best. When I use a higher end editing application I use another editing style.

In summary, the workflow you've outlined will work. O f course as you work with iMovie more you'll pickup tips & tricks and probably modify something here and there in your workflow. However always remember,

Any plan, beats no plan

I think you'll be find, good luck.

PS. Whenever I work with photos I've always used "Still Life" (and now) "Photo to Movie" and imported into my iMovie project.

Jun 19, 2007 1:28 AM in response to Rory

- After a long pause for ice-cream -

Yes, I know that wasn't the question you were asking; I hadn't finished my reply, but was interrupted by the ice-cream calling me..

Before answering your specific question (about making separate movies, and then pulling them all together into one) I thought that the first thing you ought to know - just in case you didn't know - was that ..and this flummoxes and floors many other people who come here after they've tried doing what you're doing, and they have their head in their hands.. if you "..use one song as a soundtrack and make a movie with all the photos, clips, transitions, titles and the like.." you do need to be aware - in case you don't know it - that adding transitions, after you've arranged your clips and photos to music, will shorten your clips or photos so that they become out of sync with your music.

But having mentioned that (..and having enjoyed the Choc Choc Chip and Vanilla mixture..) I agree in every way with Roy who did answer your question.

[..It was as if you'd said "I'm shooting this wedding video, and I want to position cameras in three places; how to I sync all the three videos together?" ..and I might have started my reply with something other than what you'd asked; a reminder to get an extra-long-duration battery for each camera, because the chances are that they'd run out of battery power, with normal batteries, if you had three of them running simultaneously for the length of the wedding. An extra hint, you see..]

So I was simply trying to be helpful, and to anticipate any problems which you might have, before you'd realised that you might have those problems.

Jun 19, 2007 8:20 AM in response to David Babsky

Before answering your specific question (about making
separate movies, and then pulling them all together
into one) I thought that the first thing you
ought to know - just in case you didn't know - was
that ..and this flummoxes and floors many other
people who come here after they've tried doing
what you're doing, and they have their head in their
hands.. if you "..use one song as a soundtrack and
make a movie with all the photos, clips, transitions,
titles and the like.." you do need to be aware - in
case you don't know it - that adding transitions,
after you've arranged your clips and photos to music,
will shorten your clips or photos so that they become
out of sync with your music.

Yeah, I went through that about two years ago and figured that one out. that's why I mostly use 'Overlap' as that does not mess with the timing of the transition as opposed to 'cross-fade'.

I personally build my movies linearly anyway - (starting from the beginning to end anyway) and also learned quickly to turn off the volume level in video clips so you can 'stretch' or 'shrink' the ends of the clip with the mouse. I had to stumble onto this one too (as opposed to attempting to 'split' the clip into exact time sequence - that SUCKED).

But having mentioned that (..and having enjoyed the
Choc Choc Chip and Vanilla mixture..) I agree in
every way with Roy who did answer your
question.

Gotcha - maybe I should have stated that I have only one camera - yet with all the editing I plan for each of the 7 songs within the one movie - and because of the issue of timing tracks to the video - I feel rather vulnerable putting all that work into one single movie with the potential to mess things up later in the movie if I tweak a scene earlier in the entire movie.

hence my thought of doing this:

build iMovies (1 song per movie - LOTS of clips, pics, transitions, etc within that movie).

iMovie1
iMovie2
iMovie3
iMovie4
iMovie5
iMovie6

I can edit iMovie 'objects' individually without touching the others....

THEN when I am happy with the separate movies then convert them to full quality QT movies.

iMovie1 --> QT1
iMovie2 --> QT2
iMovie3 --> QT3
iMovie4 --> QT4
iMovie5 --> QT5
iMovie6 --> QT6

Finally, stich them back together in iMovie (as I have some personal 'interviews' that go in between each of the Songs/iMovie'x'/QTx

the Final iMovie looks like:
QT1 + interview1 + QT2 + interview2 + QT3 + QT4 + QT5 + QT6

Adjust the timing between the finalized QT movies and interviews, put in chapter markers, then it is done and go to iDVD.

And yes, I don't allow iMovie to render, I pull the project into iDVD for redering....

So I was simply trying to be helpful, and to
anticipate any problems which you might have, before
you'd realised that you might have those problems.

Thanks, I probably should have mentioned a disclaimer about a certain level of experience with iMovie...

Jun 19, 2007 1:36 PM in response to Rich839

If those two methods are different, why do you suggest exporting to DV stream rather than QT

Theorectically they're the same thing. It's really just a matter of choice (or let's say habit with me), It gives me more control/options when exporting.

In the past (depending on iMovie version & format = ntsc/pal) using the preset export (full quality DV) didn't always output correctly. I found that by using the expert settings I could avoid 99% of the problems vs. using the preset.

I believe there were/are 1 or 2 instances where it was actually better to use the preset rather than expert settings when exporting, but I can't recall the iMovie version or the problem(s) encountered.

However, I believe with the scenario mentioned in this thread either way (using iMovie 6) will be OK.

Somebody correct/help me if I'm wrong, (please).

Jun 19, 2007 5:22 PM in response to Patricia Welch

Let me mention, (although they might not remember because I post so seldom) when I joined this forum about 5 years ago I took notes from guys like David, Daniel, Lennart and Karl.

They're at the top of their game when it comes to iMovie (any version), and like in Chess they're thinking 10 - 20 moves ahead.

Every now and then their post reflects the 10th/20th move, be patient, they'll get you to & thru the end game.

Movie Making - 'Best Practice' question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.