Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DVD+R 4.7GB 1-16x speed - will it be read and can i burn it on...

Hi,

Can such a DVD be burnt and or read on the new MacBook Pro's 8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)? It says on the DVD that one has to check whether the drive supports 16x speed DVD+R discs...

Thank you for your guidance!

Best,

Jonathan

MacBook Pro 2.4 2G, Mac OS X (10.4.9)

Posted on Jun 19, 2007 6:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 19, 2007 6:27 AM

As long as the disks are burnt at no faster than than 8X, it should be readable that speed. If you need faster speed for read support because the disks were burnt at a faster speed, then I would get an external burner that supports the faster speeds. Generally speaking you shouldn't burn disks at the maximum burn speed to avoid errors in burning. The specs say:

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs.html

"Maximum write: 8x DVD-R, DVD+R; 4x DVD-R DL (double layer), DVD+R DL (double layer), DVD-RW, DVD+RW; 24x CD-R; 10x CD-RW

Maximum read: 8x DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-ROM; 6x DVD-ROM (double layer DVD-9), DVD-R DL (double layer), DVD+R DL (double layer), DVD-RW, DVD+RW; 24x CD"
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 19, 2007 6:27 AM in response to jonathancole

As long as the disks are burnt at no faster than than 8X, it should be readable that speed. If you need faster speed for read support because the disks were burnt at a faster speed, then I would get an external burner that supports the faster speeds. Generally speaking you shouldn't burn disks at the maximum burn speed to avoid errors in burning. The specs say:

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs.html

"Maximum write: 8x DVD-R, DVD+R; 4x DVD-R DL (double layer), DVD+R DL (double layer), DVD-RW, DVD+RW; 24x CD-R; 10x CD-RW

Maximum read: 8x DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-ROM; 6x DVD-ROM (double layer DVD-9), DVD-R DL (double layer), DVD+R DL (double layer), DVD-RW, DVD+RW; 24x CD"

DVD+R 4.7GB 1-16x speed - will it be read and can i burn it on...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.