3 Replies Latest reply: Jun 20, 2007 12:38 AM by SteveLamb0
Marky02 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
I've just acquired my first mac and what a joy it is, I've only been using it for 3 days and I cannot see that I will ever return to a Windows PC (although it's a trip back the stoneage when I have to go to work - when will businesses learn!).

However, on to my question - hope this is the right discussion area to post it to. With being a Windows user for many a year, I have become accustomed to using alt + number codes for numerous symbols e.g degree sign, etc - will these codes still work on a mac or are there alternatives that I could use?



20" imac   Mac OS X (10.4.9)  
  • SteveLamb0 Level 5 Level 5 (4,110 points)

    If not done already, go into System Preferences>International>Input Menu & tick the On box next to Keyboard Viewer, make sure you tick 'Show input menu in menu bar'. A small flag will show up in your menu bar (top right of screen). Click on flag then Show Keyboard Viewer.

    A small keyboard will appear in a window &, as you press Cmd, Alt etc, the keys will change to show you what will appear.

    Example - Shift-Alt-K =  & Alt-K = ˚ (degree sign)

  • Kappy Level 10 Level 10 (257,575 points)
    This may be helpful to you: Switcher 101.
  • SteveLamb0 Level 5 Level 5 (4,110 points)
    Glad to have helped, thanks for the star.