You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

video chat with vista? how do i do it

hi i have a imac and want to video chat with another user running windows vista, how do i go about setting this up with good quailty image, i have thought abot installing widows but would rather not go down that track if possible,

i got the other user to install aim for vista but can only chat via text,

can someone please help

many thanks matt

imac, Mac OS X (10.4.9)

Posted on Jun 19, 2007 9:59 PM

1 reply

Jun 20, 2007 9:40 AM in response to sarmc1

Welcome to  Discussions, sarmc1

Running OS X on your Mac gives you a couple of choices.

(1) Each of you can install your respective Skype application software and use that for free video chat. Skype has excellent support and user support options if you choose to do it this way.

http://www.skype.com

(2) Alternatively, your Vista PC friend can use the latest AIM 6.1 for Windows:

http://www.aim.com/getaim/win/latestwin.adp

If your PC friend makes the AIM choice, you do not need to download any software to use it. You can use iChat AV on your Mac to connect with him.

Launch iChat on your Mac and see iChat > Help for how to operate the software.

You can get a free AIM Name here. Alternatively, if you already have a dot Mac account name, it will work as your AIM name.

Text is easy for everyone. If you need more help with video chat than you get from iChat > Help, these links can help you setup and make your first video:

Mac 101, Lesson 11: iChat AV

Starting Out With iChat AV 3.x

If you have difficulty with AIM/iChat, both of you should take advantage of this

list of contact testers

Enjoy,
Jim

Mac OS X (10.4.9)  G5 DP 1.8  External iSight

video chat with vista? how do i do it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.