Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sony DCR-SR80 Hard disk drive handycam

I just bought this new camera and thought that my computer would recogize it. I just spoke to tech. support and they said that the cameras that have a hard disk drive are not recognized and he suggested that I post a message. Does anyone have this type of camera? And what did you do to get the computer to recogize it.

Mac OS X (10.4.9)

Posted on Jun 21, 2007 12:27 PM

8 replies

Jun 21, 2007 2:13 PM in response to Lisette

I have the DCR-100, same problem. I just copy the
data to my computer, I convert it to DV using, I
think it is called mpeg streamclip. I think Qtime Pro
will convert it also. Just google for converting
mpeg, you will find lots of free choices. We should
have bought one with a tape!!!!

Close. You need the MPEG-2 plugin for Quicktime ($20) and MPEG Streamclip. Quicktime Pro cannot do it, even with the MPEG-2 plugin. Or use Visualhub ($), DVDxDV ($$), Toast ($$$), etc.

Aug 16, 2007 8:24 AM in response to QuickTimeKirk

I made the mistake of buying a Sony HDD-camcorder, too. Unfortunately it's too late to bring it back to the dealer, so I am considering buying the Capty-Software from PIXELA as proposed at the Sony manual. As there is no real support from this company, I don't really trust it. Plus: I'm a beginner and don't even understand what Capty MPEG Edit and Capty DVD/VCD exactly do. Another software they offer for Mac is the ImageMixer. Does anybody know the software? Is it worth almost 100 EUR? Will it export to iMovie-readable files? In what quality?
I own a PC, too, but I would much rather use the Mac for editing and DVD-burning, not only because the PC doesn't have a DVD-burner. I'm still thinking about selling the "handy"cam on ebay, but I still have to do somethng with the existing 25 GB of film.

Thankful for any help.

Sony DCR-SR80 Hard disk drive handycam

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.